2016 Rising Stars Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Petracca will play when fit, giving him ample opportunity to impress. He will however supposedly be played predominantly as a forward next season rather than on ball, which could work against him if his output is measured in goals rather than possessions. He'd have to put in a Hogan-like debut season, which isn't going to happen.

That said, he isn't a bad bet. Many at the club are even more excited about what he can do than they were Hogan.

I think after Petracca its a pretty open field (he's no certainty but there is big wraps on him and if he gets out on the park would be a good chance). If he misses a few games its really anyone's guess. I expect Laverde to place top 5 because he's physically mature and has already played 9 or 10 games (only just making the cut-off) and we are rebuilding so we will be giving him games all season if he can handle it.

Its hard to know which of the first year players will be up there - I wouldn't think any of the KP's except possibly Curnow who is smaller than most KP's and is more physically mature. I expect that it will either be a second year midfielder or else one of the top 10 midfielders drafted from this year. Hopper/Oliver/Mills/Parish seem to be the most likely first years that might be ready from day dot. Mills/Hopper may not play every game in fairly deep midfields though. I like Mathieson as a smoky.

Latest odds:
Lachie Weller (Frem) 17.00
Jayden Laverde (Ess) 21.00
Caleb Daniel (WB) 21.00
Trent Dumont (Nth) 41.00
These four would be great value for next year, I reckon they'll all have terrific seasons. Didn't realise that Dumont was still eligible, but geez he'd be a great shot at it. I don't think that any first year players will play enough this year outside of Weitering, and even he'll most likely be rested at some point in the year.

For some reason I have this gut feeling that Lovell will play all or most games this year for the hawks in the seniors.
Weather or not that means he will be a realistic rising star candidate I dont know. But he is the first player the hawks have drafted since isacc smith that ive had this gut feeling towards.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

For some reason I have this gut feeling that Lovell will play all or most games this year for the hawks in the seniors.
Weather or not that means he will be a realistic rising star candidate I dont know. But he is the first player the hawks have drafted since isacc smith that ive had this gut feeling towards.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
To be fair Smith was drafted at age 22, whilst Lovell at 18..

It would have be one hell of a year for a key forward to come in and win it and before you say Hogan won it Hogan was on Melbourne's list for 3 years not to mention he had one great year.

Why is this falsehood perpetuated ?

Hogan joined the club as a 17 year old, but was not allowed to play.

He then missed his first season on the list with stress fractures in his back and couldn't play OR train for the majority of the year.

So he's hardly had 3 proper preseasons and was in his second season as an AFL player.

Can anyone confirm whether Alex Pearce from Freo is eligible this season ?
If so, he'll play most games, has talent and definately stands out being 200cm and athletic..
Those betting on Lachie Weller are wasting their money..he'll be lucky to snag 5/6 games this year, no way will he get enough of a chance to poll

Can anyone confirm whether Alex Pearce from Freo is eligible this season ?
If so, he'll play most games, has talent and definately stands out being 200cm and athletic..
Those betting on Lachie Weller are wasting their money..he'll be lucky to snag 5/6 games this year, no way will he get enough of a chance to poll
The eligibility requirements for rising star nominations are that the player be under 21 years come January 1st of that season and having played less than ten games. Age wise he's fine but has played 13 games making him ineligible

Think Fantasia will be right in the mix. Will play a lot of footy this year and can get a fair bit of the ball. His pace and energy makes him stand out a fair bit and by all reports he is tearing up the track so far. Being his 3rd year I'm expecting a real break out season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The eligibility requirements for rising star nominations are that the player be under 21 years come January 1st of that season and having played less than ten games. Age wise he's fine but has played 13 games making him ineligible

Thanks SM . Didn't realize he's played that many games... I think the sub rule has killed a few guys from an eligibility perspective...thank god it's been ditched

3rd year players are surely not eligible? Ie, acres and freeman...
I'm going to say Parish

3rd year players are surely not eligible? Ie, acres and freeman...
I'm going to say Parish
As long as they're still young enough they are. Talia won in his third or fourth year.

5 goals against the 'Dogs at Etihad indicates a fair bit more than just pure hype based on size of fandom.
Is he going to reproduce Hogan's effort this year? Because that's what it takes for a KPF to win the Rising Star. For starters I think it'd require Cloke going down so that Moore is the #1 target every week. The boy has talent and is probably going to be quite a player in a few years, but I'll eat my hat if he's contending for the RS at the end of 2016 and a game with five goals doesn't change that.

Very excited about Toby McLean. Was putting up serious numbers before Dyl Buckley ended his season with an ugly tackle.

Looked like a raw Robbie Gray, which is exactly what the Dogs need.

To be fair Smith was drafted at age 22, whilst Lovell at 18..
very true, but lovell is quite developed in both game sense, tank and body. now i don't see him reaching the heights of many of his draftee peers may eventually reach in the near or distant future. But i see him as a player that may fit the hawks more immediate needs while development into the likes of Howe, Burton transition into the midfield and while Hurtang, Langford develop there game in the back and fwd halfs.

just my 2 cents.

Just had a look on Sportsbet and Toby McLean is the third favourite at $14 what the hell!!!

Some of you bulldogs fans must have laid a lot of cash down, because that just seems absurd to me

It would be if you hadn't watched him last year. He was injured in a poor tackle but looked very good.

Fwiw I put a cheeky 20 on him at $41.

Put it this way: most of the contenders in mclean's draft class have now played too many games, while this year was seen as s weaker draft so less competition early. McLean has shown something at AFL level and has the advantage of an extra preseason

Just had a look on Sportsbet and Toby McLean is the third favourite at $14 what the hell!!!

Some of you bulldogs fans must have laid a lot of cash down, because that just seems absurd to me

Everyone said the same about Lewis Taylor. McLean all things being equal is playing most games and this year that will be an important factor with a high portion of the 2015 draft being KPP early.

Still feel Parish/Mills (if he plays early) will win it anyway. Petracca is a gun but I can see Melbourne being cautious with him.

Remove this Banner Ad

2016 Rising Stars Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back