2016 Rising Stars Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

Takes more than that to win one normally though, screams to me of an Aish MK2 or a Duggan MK2 etc who are good at what they do but don't really excel in any one skill/position as yet.

Look at previous midfielders to win like O'Meara, Hannebery, Heppell, Rich etc, these guys had flair or were generally damaging forward of centre, or had both of these qualities

Unless you're a Champion Data poster boy heavily endorsed by David King or something like that, it will take more than just a good all round game to win imo.
You're looking at Petracca or Gresham right there my friend.

You're looking at Petracca or Gresham right there my friend.
Why Gresham?
Where do you rate him?

I think Lovell has a good chance. Been watching his highlights and looks very impressive. For mids rising star chances I think
1 Hopper
2 Lovell
3 Oliver
4 Parish
5 Gresham

Last edited:
If he get around 8-10 games i think he will give it a shake. Ball magnet!!!

I like Kieren Lovell. Think will do well next year. Do you think will have limited opportunities considering the depth Hawks have?

I see Billy Hartung getting more time next year but would love to see Lovell play alongside Mitchell and Hodge and Burton play alongside Roughead and Gunston to get good apprenticeships going next to great players

I can't see Lovell getting enough games at Hawks this year for Rising Star. At a lower team he would have been a chance.

Might get a few games, but will develop at Box Hill one would assume

I like Kieren Lovell. Think will do well next year. Do you think will have limited opportunities considering the depth Hawks have?

I see Billy Hartung getting more time next year but would love to see Lovell play alongside Mitchell and Hodge and Burton play alongside Roughead and Gunston to get good apprenticeships going next to great players

Can't see Lovell playing enough. In fact the only mids that will are probably Oliver & Parish (purely as these teams are down the back end of the ladder and both clubs are rebuilding). Mills MIGHT but his odds are too skinny for mine, doubt he is as ready as Heeney was this season. Petracca's odds are skinny but we all said the same thing with O'Meara and he won. I remember taking the $5-6 for JOM. Still think the winner comes from Moore, Petracca, and Oliver (maybe Parish). Mills a rough bet if you can get $20-1.

Why Gresham?
Where do you rate him?

I think Lovell has a good chance. Been watching his highlights and looks very impressive. For mids rising star chances I think
1 Hopper
2 Lovell
3 Oliver
4 Parish
5 Gresham
Gresham wins the ball and will not stop, can play forward and kick goals, has the acceleration and zip to catch the eye, and uses well. Like a Lewis Taylor clone but much better inside mid and not as good up forward. Can play straight away and has the work ethic coaches will love.

Based on what logic? Freeman was a raw prospect who wasn't expected to have an immediate impact when he was drafted. After suffering a multitude of injury setbacks he still presents to me as a bloke who has a lot to learn before he has anything resembling consistent impact at AFL.

Based on the contract the saints gave him, they clearly rate him so he will play and most likely start in the midfield.

Gresham wins the ball and will not stop, can play forward and kick goals, has the acceleration and zip to catch the eye, and uses well. Like a Lewis Taylor clone but much better inside mid and not as good up forward. Can play straight away and has the work ethic coaches will love.

How do you see Charlie Curnow and Harry McKay functioning in the same forward line?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Petracca has to be odds on, given how light this years draft was for mid talent, right?

Even O'Meara wasn't odds on. Still a speculative pick at this stage. Won't be shocked if he doesn't win.

Darcy Moores the best chance from the pies, other than him id back The Truck if he recovers well. Mills and Hopper the best of this years group but dont be surprised if someone like Mathieson or Clarke makes a name for them selves early. Corey Ellis would be interesting, definately has the skills to take out the award but from last years crop, Laverde, Moore and McLean should have good exposure in the seniors.

Prediction:
Petracca
Mills
Moore
McLean
Laverde
Hopper
Fantasia
Ellis
Mathieson
Parish
Keays