Strategy 2016 Tacs Trailer

Remove this Banner Ad

What we need to do is drop the whole defense first game plan. Yes its all well and good but it takes away from our offense.

If we can spread our focus into both aspects fo the game both offense and defense we would have a far superior plan to those who are focusing on one aspect.

Some would argue that we should be defensive minded first, but then what that actually means is we are hoping our opposition gets teh ball and we create a turnover to score. Whereas a better method would be to GET the ball first, have clean and efficient use of it and get it down the throat of Charlie or Westhoff.

I feel as thought the 'Weapon' plan (the W sign westhoff put up after he scored last week, which is when he seeks permission to drop back and be the lose man is counter productive. yes it may try to stop and sway momentum, but he needs to permanently be up forward as our second tall. OR alternatively we need another tall (Howard or Butcher) who permanently sits up front whit Big Dix, and then Westhoff can have the free licence to be our third tall up front or the lose man down back.

We should sacrifice offense for defense. let's get on teh front foot and make the opposition focus on defense and cause their own errors.

4 of the 8 sides in the top eight are defense first sides (Geelong, Western Bulldogs, West Coast, GWS). Three of them are in the top five for percentage.

4 of the 8 sides in the top eight are defense first sides (Geelong, Western Bulldogs, West Coast, GWS). Three of them are in the top five for percentage.

What about Hawthorn. 3peat premiers. They aren't defense first minded. I understand it may work in the short term, but in terms of a premiership, hey look at Hawks their record speaks for itself.

Hawthorn's offensive moment from 2012-15 is on the back of great positional defense. It helps that they have had a fantastic ability to hold possession once they turn it over through players with elite skill set.

Some would argue that we should be defensive minded first, but then what that actually means is we are hoping our opposition gets teh ball and we create a turnover to score.

It really, really doesn't mean that at all.

What about Hawthorn. 3peat premiers. They aren't defense first minded. I understand it may work in the short term, but in terms of a premiership, hey look at Hawks their record speaks for itself.

Hawthorn had the #1 defence in the league last year.

Hawthorn had the #1 defence in the league last year.[/QUOTE}

But what I am saying is they are not defence first team. Their game plan revolves around getting the ball and keeping it and scoring, limiting their oppositions time with the ball thus limiting oppo ability to score.

Interesting comments by KT tonight on our form. He said Port had worked so hard over the offseason and were surprised and disappointed with their initial results early this season. He said that Port had underestimated the changes they needed to make with the new rules and basically were caught out with the speed of the game. I guess some other clubs were a bit smarter than us.

Interesting comments by KT tonight on our form. He said Port had worked so hard over the offseason and were surprised and disappointed with their initial results early this season. He said that Port had underestimated the changes they needed to make with the new rules and basically were caught out with the speed of the game. I guess some other clubs were a bit smarter than us.
I dont get that. The biggest rule change was the rotations. The great criticism of the Adelaide game and GWS game was that we didnt turn up and these games were over half way thru the second quarter. Is KT saying our footy department expected every club to pace themselves and start slowly? Didn't they see what St Kilda did going flat out from the start in game 1? I think it was a lot more than the rule changes and pacing our selves.

If it wasn't, then we have dummies not being able to see the bleeding obvious 3 weeks in a row before we played the GWS.

I dont get that. The biggest rule change was the rotations. The great criticism of the Adelaide game and GWS game was that we didnt turn up and these games were over half way thru the second quarter. Is KT saying our footy department expected every club to pace themselves and start slowly? Didn't they see what St Kilda did going flat out from the start in game 1? I think it was a lot more than the rule changes and pacing our selves.

If it wasn't, then we have dummies not being able to see the bleeding obvious 3 weeks in a row before we played the GWS.
I think he was referring to the ten meter rule

I think he was referring to the ten meter rule
Ah I forgot about that one - ok that makes more sense. But still surprised he said we got caught out with the speed of the game after 3 games.

If you've based your whole fitness program around the limited rotations and maintaining a consistent level it's not like you can just throw a switch and start sprinting. It's like asking a 1500m runner to compete in a 100m race.

They might have seen it, but there's nothing they could do about it. You see what is happening with the game tonight - both Geelong and Adelaide are starting to look very human due to the fact that fatigue is starting to kick in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you've based your whole fitness program around the limited rotations and maintaining a consistent level it's not like you can just throw a switch and start sprinting. It's like asking a 1500m runner to compete in a 100m race.

They might have seen it, but there's nothing they could do about it. You see what is happening with the game tonight - both Geelong and Adelaide are starting to look very human due to the fact that fatigue is starting to kick in.
Using the 1,500m analogy they should have planned for the 200m sprint at the front because people want to get clean air and then back off and allow enough in the tank for the final 200m sprint. Great 1,500m runners are able to surge and mix up the pace and don't get broken when others surge. It was a bloke like Hicham El Guerrouj who was able to overcome the team running of the Kenyans. Others had very good times in biggish events but couldn't hold off the surges in the world champs and olympics.

I feel as thought the 'Weapon' plan (the W sign westhoff put up after he scored last week, which is when he seeks permission to drop back and be the lose man is counter productive.

Wow, he was simply signalling a runner for water dude. Neade looked around and pointed at himself too.

Some people really see what they want to see.

It's not just that the Tingles will burn out by mid year, their gameplan relies on other teams making mistakes -it's reactive not proactive

Zoning off, waiting for the errant kick and streaming forward with numbers

It's also always one player only going into the pack or marking contest with 3 others hanging out waiting for the errant handball or chip-scabbing the crumbs

Rinse, repeat

Fine when your playing Richmond, or dare I say it Port, but it won't stand up to the Hawks or Sydney or Geelong who'll pick their way up the field with little or no resistance (see Hawks final last year)
Mmmm prophetic

People losing their minds over the Toumpas/Amon swap need to remember one thing - Hinkley said after the Richmond game that the coaches did a few things to help the players out, and Nicks said the same thing. What did they do? They played an extra flanker in defense to encourage players to take the game on and push forward into attack...which the players like O'Shea, Broadbent and Krakouer did. However, it was only ever meant to be training wheels. Now we are beginning to get confidence back, the training wheels of the extra defender come off.

Here is the interview. At 7:52 He says "I do accept that the game has changed a little bit this year." At 8.04 talks about rules changes and then says, "particularly that kick, the clearance behind the ball, I reckon that has improved the kicking thru the zone, which is making the game faster, we got caught with that a little bit, but I was really pleased how internally, we addressed the issues got on it and made some adjustments."

So that says to me we got out smarted by tactics rather than the rule changes, especially the rotations/fitness stuff, even though the rules changes have obviously had some impact.

KT on 5AA Friday13th May Soundcloud link

I asked Westhoff what it meant at the italian night bud. Heard it from him.

Remember the bit in Seinfeld where Jerry tells Elaine that War and Peace was originally titled "War, What is it Good For"?

People losing their minds over the Toumpas/Amon swap need to remember one thing - Hinkley said after the Richmond game that the coaches did a few things to help the players out, and Nicks said the same thing. What did they do? They played an extra flanker in defense to encourage players to take the game on and push forward into attack...which the players like O'Shea, Broadbent and Krakouer did. However, it was only ever meant to be training wheels. Now we are beginning to get confidence back, the training wheels of the extra defender come off.
If true then I suggest we need our training wheels back on.
Personally the results don't lie and I'll rather we take a more defensive approach to our season rather than try and embed a style for future seasons.

Also at a lost as to why we constantly have to rely on Youngy as a marking target to try and break out of defense walls set up by oppositions.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the game Janus. I didn't see it but listened to parts of it, might watch a replay tonight/tommorow if I can push through the pain and not break the screen. Can't help but thinking we don't have the smarts for this complex tactical stuff and we should go back to basics. Hell, we can't even score a goal on a fast break where we outnumber the opposition because we somehow manage to stuff it up in some sort of ludicrous fashion. Maybe complex ball movements or defensive structures are beyond us? Show me the light oh positivity/tactical overlord.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy 2016 Tacs Trailer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back