Strategy 2016 Tacs Trailer

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the game Janus. I didn't see it but listened to parts of it, might watch a replay tonight/tommorow if I can push through the pain and not break the screen. Can't help but thinking we don't have the smarts for this complex tactical stuff and we should go back to basics. Hell, we can't even score a goal on a fast break where we outnumber the opposition because we somehow manage to stuff it up in some sort of ludicrous fashion. Maybe complex ball movements or defensive structures are beyond us? Show me the light oh positivity/tactical overlord.

Here's my thoughts:

We are a second tier football side that can only perform when expectations are low and the pressure is off. It's got nothing to do with tactics and everything to heart and the will to win. Every time a side gets in our face we collapse like a sack of shit because our players believe that pressure is something that they only have to apply and not have to withstand.

I could tell you that dropping Toumpas as another defender to play another attacker when we're already decimated in our playing stocks and having to rove to a losing ruck backfired tremendously - but we still should have won that ****ing game.

We are mentally weak...a decrepit shell of what it means to be Port Adelaide. Our slogan is 'We are Port Adelaide.'

Well, that's ****ing wrong. We aren't Port Adelaide at all.

We have become North Melbourne.

And I ****ing hate North Melbourne.

Shocking:
Statistical Rankings
High Rankings Low Rankings
dot.gif
Ranked 2nd in Tackles Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 4th in Team to Opponent Tackles Per Game Diff.
dot.gif
Ranked 16th in Kicks Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 12th in Handballs Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 15th in Disposals Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 17th in Marks Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 14th in Hitouts Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 16th in least Opponent Kicks Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 12th in least Opponent Disposals Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 12th in least Opponent Marks Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 12th in least Opponent Tackles Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 18th in least Opponent Hitouts Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 15th in Team to Opponent Kicks Per Game Diff.
dot.gif
Ranked 15th in Team to Opponent Disposals Per Game Diff.
dot.gif
Ranked 18th in Team to Opponent Marks Per Game Diff.
dot.gif
Ranked 18th in Team to Opponent Hitouts Per Game Diff.

Shocking:
Statistical Rankings
High Rankings Low Rankings
dot.gif
Ranked 2nd in Tackles Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 4th in Team to Opponent Tackles Per Game Diff.
dot.gif
Ranked 17th in Marks Per Game
dot.gif
Ranked 14th in Hitouts Per Game
dot.gif

Some points:

1. We have the WORST disposal efficiency in the AFL
  • This contributes to our #17 in marks per game
  • This contributes to our #2 in tackles because we're constantly missing targets resulting in contests around the fall of the ball
  • We get r@ped in uncontested possessions on a regular basis
2. We're OK in contested footy but we generally only break even or slightly lose.
  • When we do ok in contests we have won our games
  • The games we've won we've managed just bog-standard AFL level disposal efficiency
Why are our skills so poor under pressure?

a) we have shit players (sometimes true)
b) our tactics and decision-making (sometimes it's the kicks in the corridor but not always plus those annoying kicks to no-one due to our forward structure and stoppage set ups)
c) can't execute kicks and handballs under pressure
d) we don't practice skills under pressure? (no idea what we practice)
e) all of the above?

Edit: when we were good in 2014 we were 6th in clearances and last year we were average, which may have covered our shoddy disposal (which was mediocre even in 2014).

Here's my thoughts:

We are a second tier football side that can only perform when expectations are low and the pressure is off. It's got nothing to do with tactics and everything to heart and the will to win. Every time a side gets in our face we collapse like a sack of shit because our players believe that pressure is something that they only have to apply and not have to withstand.

I could tell you that dropping Toumpas as another defender to play another attacker when we're already decimated in our playing stocks and having to rove to a losing ruck backfired tremendously - but we still should have won that ******* game.

We are mentally weak...a decrepit shell of what it means to be Port Adelaide. Our slogan is 'We are Port Adelaide.'

Well, that's ******* wrong. We aren't Port Adelaide at all.

And I ******* hate North Melbourne.
Firstly, I really like your analysis of tactics. It demonstrates both your insight and intelligence. So now, how come the simple claim it is opposition "pressure" which cruels our ability to win? Surely, it is our inability to make the right decision (training, fitness) under game conditions not mental weakness which results in the comedy of errors we regularly witness. Players too often look confused, unsure and hesitant (if not outright scared) not because they suffer from PTSD, but because our coaches cannot prepare them adequately. The physical onslaught (tiredness, injury) which inevitably comes from poor decisions makes them appear lazy and stupid. Ken repeatedly used to say it was about making the right decision in the heat of battle. IMO it seems we still haven't ingrained our battle plans into the grey matter of our players. What this says about our coaches and players (and the methods employed) is our challenge right now.

Last edited:
Firstly, I really like your analysis of tactics. It demonstrates both your insight and intelligence. So now, how come the simple claim it is opposition "pressure" which cruels our ability to win? Surely, it is our inability to make the right decision (training, fitness) under game conditions not mental weakness which results in the comedy of errors we regularly witness. Players too often look confused, unsure and hesitant (if not outright scared) not because they suffer from PTSD, but because our coaches cannot prepare them adequately. The physical onslaught (tiredness, injury) which inevitably comes from poor decisions makes them appear lazy and stupid. Ken repeatedly used to say it was about making the right decision in the heat of battle. IMO it seems we still haven't ingrained our battle plans into he grey matter of our players. What this says about our coaches and players (and the methods employed) is our challenge right now.
It could be the virtual reality training. I reckon it's confusing the players. Has it ever been used in a sport similar to AFL before?

It could be the virtual reality training. I reckon it's confusing the players. Has it ever been used in a sport similar to AFL before?
Use seems widespread enough in USA. But perhaps the question is what reviews have been undertaken on its effectiveness and do we know how to properly integrate it into conventional AFL training?

Use seems widespread enough in USA. But perhaps the question is what reviews have been undertaken on its effectiveness and do we know how to properly integrate it into conventional AFL training?
Our club likes to be cutting edge but perhaps we could stop experimenting and get back to basic footy skill training.

Our club likes to be cutting edge but perhaps we could stop experimenting and get back to basic footy skill training.
Our experimentation seems to be much more with our game plan than our skills training. Whilst these things are linked, I'm sure even the worst field kick in our team is capable of hitting a target if he knows 1) what he's meant to do, 2) who/where is his target, 3) he has time to execute and 4) a mate has his back. Lately, not all our players are possessed with this knowledge.

Here's my thoughts:

I could tell you that dropping Toumpas as another defender to play another attacker when we're already decimated in our playing stocks and having to rove to a losing ruck backfired tremendously - but we still should have won that ******* game.

Well, that's ******* wrong. We aren't Port Adelaide at all.

And I ******* hate North Melbourne.
I was thinking more like Richmond.

OK, we are nearly at the halfway mark of the season. What, if any advantage has the limited rotations and 50 meter rule given teams related to their game styles. It obviously hasn't helped us one bit. Our club seems to have totally misjudged how the changes would affect us, very disappointing.

I dont know who produces this Twitter site, https://twitter.com/AFLPlayerRating
but the Dangerfield graph/info below for his 48 disposal game is more useful than the heat map given the explanation of the heat maps Champion Data provided a few pages back. I have no idea which other players you can get this info for, or if it was done off video replay.

CktRWgKUkAE8qmx.jpg

I dont know who produces this Twitter site, https://twitter.com/AFLPlayerRating
but the Dangerfield graph/info below for his 48 disposal game is more useful than the heat map given the explanation of the heat maps Champion Data provided a few pages back. I have no idea which other players you can get this info for, or if it was done off video replay.

CktRWgKUkAE8qmx.jpg
Can't really call him Clangerfield anymore

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like the Champion Data official plot, REH. The one they do during games and then use to produce their prospectus later on.

Looks like the Champion Data official plot, REH. The one they do during games and then use to produce their prospectus later on.
Surely they would have to do this after the game, as I can't see them doing this much detail for all 44 players whilst the game is on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Strategy 2016 Tacs Trailer

Remove this Banner Ad

Back