2017 Midprice Madness

Remove this Banner Ad

Forwards: Heeney & Roughead are pretty much locked. Ryder is one that I am watching for the cover to R3 and T. Miller is one that I am watching over the pre-season as I think he can be in the top 6 forwards (Not much value in the premo forwards this year and no must haves).
Midfield: Swallow & O'Meara, that is all.
Defence: Z. Jones but he only comes into consideration if I only select 2 uber premo defenders as opposed to 3.
Rucks: Zilch.

Note: H. Bennell may be a mid season purchase if I can see him for a few games and debuts when I can sideways a fat rookie
Agree with much of what you say above and my only addition to that could be Bob Murphy as an underpriced defender. Dogs certainly want it in his hands when coming out of defence due to his foot skills. Averaged 102 in his first (and only) three games last year yet is priced at 71.

Agree with much of what you say above and my only addition to that could be Bob Murphy as an underpriced defender. Dogs certainly want it in his hands when coming out of defence due to his foot skills. Averaged 102 in his first (and only) three games last year yet is priced at 71.
I'm really weary of 400K+ players like him/Mills even Ryder etc.... For me at 400K+ I want someone I think will be a keeper. Rather then wast a trade.

Also that is where I am weary of Z.Jones, because he has the ability to score but there is a feeling he may be a slow burn to maybe an 80K profit.

Where as someone like Swallow you want to get you the 80's/90's which he has proven ability for untill you can sideways him for a fallen premo.

On Nexus 6P using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm really weary of 400K+ players like him/Mills even Ryder etc.... For me at 400K+ I want someone I think will be a keeper. Rather then wast a trade.

Also that is where I am weary of Z.Jones, because he has the ability to score but there is a feeling he may be a slow burn to maybe an 80K profit.

Where as someone like Swallow you want to get you the 80's/90's which he has proven ability for untill you can sideways him for a fallen premo.

On Nexus 6P using BigFooty.com mobile app
If Murphy were to continue anywhere near his 2016 form (albeit only 3 games) he becomes a keeper anyway.

If Murphy were to continue anywhere near his 2016 form (albeit only 3 games) he becomes a keeper anyway.
But apart from last season, he has never really been all that fantasy relevant
Averages of 79, 73, 84, 70, 74 from his last 5 years suggests that last years result from 3 games wasn't a true reflection of his scoring ability.

But apart from last season, he has never really been all that fantasy relevant
Averages of 79, 73, 84, 70, 74 from his last 5 years suggests that last years result from 3 games wasn't a true reflection of his scoring ability.
Yeah, you are correct. His previous history doesn't bode well.
Hibberd is probably a safer bet at the same price.

I don't get the Zak Jones love from some folks. He scored one 100+ score last year and went missing for long periods of time.

At this stage I'm looking at the following:

DEF: Zach Tuohy and Michael Hibberd. I feel like Tuohy is going to be given an attacking role from the back/wing.
MID: O'Meara, Swallow, Murphy
FWD: Miller, Heeney (should be a lock if he gets midfield time), Elliott (though now with his injury again I'll probably pass), Bennell, Roughead,

I don't get the Zak Jones love from some folks. He scored one 100+ score last year and went missing for long periods of time.

At this stage I'm looking at the following:

DEF: Zach Tuohy and Michael Hibberd. I feel like Tuohy is going to be given an attacking role from the back/wing.
MID: O'Meara, Swallow, Murphy
FWD: Miller, Heeney (should be a lock if he gets midfield time), Elliott (though now with his injury again I'll probably pass), Bennell, Roughead,

Slated for much more midfield time to give some speed through the middle of the ground.

Personally don't have him either, but worth keeping an eye on. Was good on Sunday

Since Tichell has left Sydney, half their list has been noted for more midfield time....

It's true, Mills ran through there on the weekend as well, and at some stage you would think will end up there.

Jones's legspeed does address a concern for them though. I suspect he'll rotate between halfback and wing

Jones was at pretty much every stoppage except when he was off the ground. Obviously that will change in the real stuff when Parker, Hanners and JPK step up to the plate, but of the three potential mid supports, he was the one that looked most pure midfield. Heeney and Mills had stints forward and back respectively, although to be fair they seemed to score more heavily when they were in the midfield than Jones did.

Not in my team ATM but could be depending on rookie availability in each position. If he is in then Roughhead or O'Meara have to drop out though, so it's a tough one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jones was at pretty much every stoppage except when he was off the ground. Obviously that will change in the real stuff when Parker, Hanners and JPK step up to the plate, but of the three potential mid supports, he was the one that looked most pure midfield. Heeney and Mills had stints forward and back respectively, although to be fair they seemed to score more heavily when they were in the midfield than Jones did.

Not in my team ATM but could be depending on rookie availability in each position. If he is in then Roughhead or O'Meara have to drop out though, so it's a tough one.

If they are your choices I think you're much better off going with proven scorers like O'Meara or Roughead as opposed to someone who has only had one 100+ game in his career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If they are your choices I think you're much better off going with proven scorers like O'Meara or Roughead as opposed to someone who has only had one 100+ game in his career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree, and that's where I stand at the moment. My current structure is
3-0-3 DEF
5-2-1 MID
2-2-2 FOR

If I can't field 3 defensive rookies, then I may have to go a midpricer in DEF, and Jones is the only one I like sub $400k. Thurlow maybe but I don't like his JS.

Going for Jones is that he is not coming off a long stint out of the game, and that his role is looking to be drastically different than last year. Don't really trust Longmire though. He could end up tagging like Mitchell.

Agree, and that's where I stand at the moment. My current structure is
3-0-3 DEF
5-2-1 MID
2-2-2 FOR

If I can't field 3 defensive rookies, then I may have to go a midpricer in DEF, and Jones is the only one I like sub $400k. Thurlow maybe but I don't like his JS.

Going for Jones is that he is not coming off a long stint out of the game, and that his role is looking to be drastically different than last year. Don't really trust Longmire though. He could end up tagging like Mitchell.

I'm basically the same as you as far as structure goes:
3-0-3
5-2-1
1-3-2

As for backline rookies, while it's hard to make the call on it pre-round 1, there seem to be a few that are emerging:
Nic Newman, Ed Vickers-Willis, Andrew McGrath, Lachlan Keeffe, Curtly Hampton, Tom Stewart, Matt Scharenberg, Mitchell Hibberd, Luke Ryan all possibles.

I'm basically the same as you as far as structure goes:
3-0-3
5-2-1
1-3-2

As for backline rookies, while it's hard to make the call on it pre-round 1, there seem to be a few that are emerging:
Nic Newman, Ed Vickers-Willis, Andrew McGrath, Lachlan Keeffe, Curtly Hampton, Tom Stewart, Matt Scharenberg, Mitchell Hibberd, Luke Ryan all possibles.

Add to that Otten who is named on friday! :thumbsu:

Anyone out here run a cash RDT league???? Or willing to be involved in one?
I actually run three cash leagues of which a few from BFF are already involved in.
Cost for the year is $50 and we have prizes for the weekly highest score, minor premier and finals.
If you are interested, send me a PM and I will give you all the details. There is one spot left.

Seeing as though a punt on a mid-pricer or two can really make your season, and at the very least is a whole lot of fun, what do you guys consider is the minimum improvement in ppg required from what they are priced at to make it a worthwhile punt ??

Seeing as though a punt on a mid-pricer or two can really make your season, and at the very least is a whole lot of fun, what do you guys consider is the minimum improvement in ppg required from what they are priced at to make it a worthwhile punt ??

For me I would say (especially in the midfield) that they earn enough money to sideways them to a fallen premo or to be able to hold their own and be at F6/7, M8/9, D6/7 spots come the end of the season in a finished team.

I always think 20 bare minimum

As said they either do enough as low level keepers or ideally 25ppg plus, i.e. Match what a low quality rookie would raise by

Remove this Banner Ad

2017 Midprice Madness

Remove this Banner Ad

Back