Prediction 2017 Round 1 Starting 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't read much recently but does anyone know what the injury status is of schache, Hugh, bundy etc like how long til they are back and how bad the situation is?

Schache should be in the next few weeks, Hugh will miss about four weeks and Bundy was (IIRC) 6-8.

I'm certainly not stoking the fires of the Bastinac train, his form is not good, but it is worth noting he played less than half of the game on the weekend.

That may well be because he's falling out of favour, but it's hard to find form on the bench.

Schache should be in the next few weeks, Hugh will miss about four weeks and Bundy was (IIRC) 6-8.

Those are dated from injury, though, aren't they - e.g. Bags was 4 weeks from last week?

Those are dated from injury, though, aren't they - e.g. Bags was 4 weeks from last week?

Yes, but we aren't really fair enough distanced from the actual injuries in question for me to have much certainty beyond the original estimates. One or two weeks here or there isn't a heap.

Fox footy article re Rd 1 lineups. Honestly who writes this sh*t. Hipwood at fullback????

BRISBANE LIONS

RECRUITS at either end of the ground won’t be debuting in Brisbane’s Round 1 Q-Clash, with Jack Frost suspended and Hugh McCluggage set to miss a handful of weeks with an ankle injury. Josh Schache is also in doubt for Round 1 while Allen Christensen will miss a couple of months after another collarbone injury. That does open the door for youth to enter Chris Fagan’s side — but then that door was already pretty wide open. Eric Hipwood looks set to gain a spot in the side and could play at either end after proving he can fit in as a swingman.

B: Ryan Harwood, Eric Hipwood, Darcy Gardiner

HB: Daniel Rich, Harris Andrews, Tom Cutler

C: Dayne Zorko, Mitch Robinson, Dayne Beams

HF: Tom Bell, Josh Schache, Lewis Taylor

F: Ben Keays, Michael Close, Daniel McStay

FOLL: Stefan Martin, Tom Rockliff, Ryan Bastinac

I/C: Ryan Lester, Rohan Bewick, Rhys Mathieson, Sam Mayes

EMG: Marco Paparone, Jarrod Berry, Josh Walker

OTHERS: Allen Christensen, Jack Frost, Hugh McCluggage, Jarrad Jansen, Claye Beams, Nick Robertson, Jacob Allison, Jake Barrett, Josh Clayton, Cedric Cox, Liam Dawson, Jonathan Freeman, Corey Lyons, Sam Skinner, Archie Smith, Alex Witherden

ROOKIES: Matt Eagles, Blake Grewar, Matthew Hammelmann, Cian Hanley, Mitch Hinge, Oscar McInerney, Reuben William

Highly unlikely Schache will be playing Round 1 at this stage. Closey also with a hamstring strain.
Can never have to many key forward prospects can you?
Schache - knee.
Close - hammy.
Freeman - fractured eye socket.
Walker might end up back in there yet.
We all thought things were looking up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not too sure why Robbo has been moved to the forwards. I know Fagan wants pressure forwards but Robbo was doing really well in the middle last year, nullifying the oppositions best midfielder while getting a stack of ball himself.

It might be something to do with the way he was using it. Mitch has many great attributes, but I don't think precise short-medium kicking is one of them, so it may not be the best fit as we're playing right now.

Personally I think he's done a pretty handy job in the forward line. I quite like him there with the option to swing him through the midfield if someone is tearing us up through the middle.

I am not too sure why Robbo has been moved to the forwards. I know Fagan wants pressure forwards but Robbo was doing really well in the middle last year, nullifying the oppositions best midfielder while getting a stack of ball himself.
Personally I don't like it either - Robbo was too good in the middle, but it shows Fagan values forward pressure more than A) Negating an opposing mid and B) clearances. Fagan comes from the Hawthorn system that devalued contested possessions and favoured those pressuring forwards like Breust, Poppy, Cyril etc. We all know how that worked out.

At this point we just have to make like the 76ers and trust the process

We did get Beams back to play a similar role in the midfield and our forward pressure has been a huge issue.

Personally I don't like it either - Robbo was too good in the middle, but it shows Fagan values forward pressure more than A) Negating an opposing mid and B) clearances. Fagan comes from the Hawthorn system that devalued contested possessions and favoured those pressuring forwards like Breust, Poppy, Cyril etc. We all know how that worked out.

At this point we just have to make like the 76ers and trust the process
More than that the Hawks often lost contested possession but picked up free ball down the ground, then switched out and were away.

But having some genuine forward pressure will be nice, but I don't know where the mid pressure is coming from with robbo up fwd.

More than that the Hawks often lost contested possession but picked up free ball down the ground, then switched out and were away.

But having some genuine forward pressure will be nice, but I don't know where the mid pressure is coming from with robbo up fwd.
Yep, exactly my point.

With a risk of getting shot down here.. Here's my round 1 team.

B. Darcy Gardinger, Josh Walker, Ryan Hardwood.

HB. Dan McStay, Harris Andrews, Tom Cutler.

C. Sam Mayes, Dayne Zorko, Ryan Bastinac.

HF. Mitch Robinson, Josh Schache, Tom Bell.

F. Jake Barrett, Micheal Close, Eric Hipwood

Foll. Stephen Martin, Dayne Beams, Tom Rockliff.

Int. Daniel Rich, Ryan Lester, Lewis Taylor, Nick Robinson

Mids, half forwards and interchanges are all part of the midfield rotation..

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction 2017 Round 1 Starting 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back