News 2017 St Kilda in the media

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/fo...n/news-story/a179cb1594ac740646a96298d60ac307

Fox Footy’s crystal ball: 18 fearless predictions for the 2018 AFL season

SAINT IS AN ALL-AUSTRALIAN BOLTER

NO player will step into the shoes of their former mentor quite like Tim Membrey next season.

Playing in the role Nick Riewoldt held for so long, Membrey will become an All-Australian bolter.

He’s kicked 82 goals in his last two seasons, but will relish a role further up the field in 2018.

There, he’ll be able to use his athleticism and his strong tank with his ability to hit the scoreboard.

While he won’t quite be able to replicate Riewoldt’s workrate, he’ll kick more than 50 goals for the first time in his career to earn late consideration for the All-Australian team.

He’ll also continue to average more than six marks per game, while we’re expecting his disposal numbers to rise to career-highs.

Lethlan seems like an Alpha campaigner. ******* bitches left right and centre

Can teach some of our boys how to be campaigners and how to be properly alpha.

Billings obviously will teach him how to fight though.
might help us land some future father son picks ... great call !!!

http://www.footyology.com.au/tale-of-the-tape-for-your-afl-team-in-2018-st-kilda/

Tale of the tape for your AFL team in 2018: St Kilda
Rohan Connolly

Tale of the tape for your AFL team in 2018: St Kilda

ronny.jpg
Ronny Lerner

ST KILDA
2017 record: 11 wins, 11 losses (11th)

THE INS
Logan Austin (Port Adelaide), Hunter Clark (Dandenong Stingrays), Nick Coffield (Northern Knights), Oscar Clavarino (Dandenong Stingrays), Ben Paton (Murray Bushrangers), Doulton Langlands (Murray Bushrangers)

THE OUTS
Nick Riewoldt (retired), Leigh Montagna (retired), Sean Dempster (retired), Nick Coughlan (delisted), Joe Baker-Thomas (delisted), Jason Holmes (delisted), Nick O’Kearney (delisted)

THE STRENGTHS
Jack Steven is an elite midfielder and Seb Ross isn’t far off after capping off a brilliant 2017 season with his first best-and-fairest. Jack Billings and Jade Gresham have the makings of a very dangerous small forward combo and there is plenty of potential in the key forward troika of Josh Bruce, Paddy McCartin and Tim Membrey. McCartin spoke recently of his excitement at the prospect of filling the retired Nick Riewoldt’s massive shoes, and if his concussion issues are in the past, then 2018 is the time for him to deliver. Jake Carlisle and Nathan Brown formed an effective key defensive duo last year, while Dylan Roberton had a career-best season which saw him named in the All-Australian squad. While the Saints would have been bitterly disappointed at finishing a game outside the top eight, they now have the fourth-youngest list in the competition, so it would appear as though they are on the right path. They were ranked first for tackles and third for clearances on differentials in 2017, so there is a sound foundation to build on in 2018 and beyond. Impressive wins over Richmond and GWS showed they can mix it with the big boys.

THE WEAKNESSES
The man who held the club together for the better part of a decade is no longer there to serve as the team’s “Mr Fix-It”. With Riewoldt now retired, the enormous responsibility he carried on his shoulders must now somehow be dispersed among the playing group. Such were his freakish talents, he could be called upon to play in virtually any position to help out his side where it needed him most. In truth, it’s going to take more than one man to fill the massive void left by one of the club’s all-time greats. The Saints copped seven losses by six goals or more in 2017 – six of which were against finalists. That’s just not good enough and is perhaps the best indication of how far off the pace they are at the moment. The most disappointing defeat was to Essendon – against whom when the season was on the line in round 17, they crumbled to lose by 61 points. Last season on differentials, the Saints were ranked 13th for effective kicking percentage, 12th for percentage of goals per inside 50, 10th for inside 50s and ninth for contested possessions. That’s certainly not a recipe for success. The on-ball division is probably still in development mode and is short an A-grader or two.

ONE TO WATCH
Jade Gresham is an incredibly impressive young footballer. He’s talented, swift on his feet and can kick goals from just about any angle. After showing promise in his debut 2016 season, he took it up another notch in 2017 with 30 goals – only Membrey and Bruce booted more for the Saints. The 20-year-old has a bright future.

UNDER THE PUMP
Tom Hickey might have two years to run on his contract, but as we saw with Matt Priddis, Andrew Swallow and Lindsay Thomas, a footballer’s time at a club can come a lot earlier than what the paperwork might indicate. After a great 2016, the former Sun fell horribly out of favour in 2017, managing just five games as Billy Longer zoomed past him in the ruck pecking order. If Hickey fails to achieve regular game time next season, it could be his last with the Saints.

RONNY LERNER’S BEST 22
B: Jimmy Webster, Nathan Brown, Sam Gilbert
HB: Jarryn Geary, Jake Carlisle, Dylan Roberton
C: Seb Ross, Jack Steven, Jack Newnes
HF: Jack Billings, Josh Bruce, Maverick Weller
F: Tim Membrey, Paddy McCartin, Jade Gresham
Foll: Billy Longer, Jack Steele, Koby Stevens
Inter: David Armitage, Luke Dunstan, Jack Sinclair, Blake Acres
Emerg: Hugh Goddard, Shane Savage, Jack Lonie

David Armitage is a welcome return to the senior line-up after just two games in 2017 due to a groin injury. When fully fit, Hugh Goddard will be in the Saints’ best 22, but for now he’s an emergency as two injury-riddled seasons have restricted him to just nine career games.

It's striking how similar everyone's best 22s are, including those outside the club like that guy in the previous post.

Despite us saying we have depth, at present there are exactly 23 players who are actually in the frame as serious calibre for AFL, and then a bunch on the fringes.

And that 23 hasn't changed substantively from last year, except I guess that Roo and Joey are no longer in it (and Arno returning).

If we don't have a good run with injuries then I reckon this is very likely to be another development year.

It's striking how similar everyone's best 22s are, including those outside the club like that guy in the previous post.

Despite us saying we have depth, at present there are exactly 23 players who are actually in the frame as serious calibre for AFL, and then a bunch on the fringes.

And that 23 hasn't changed substantively from last year, except I guess that Roo and Joey are no longer in it (and Arno returning).

If we don't have a good run with injuries then I reckon this is very likely to be another development year.

I think we'll start to kill it in 2019 personally.

In 2018 I think with a bit of luck on the injury front etc we'll just make finals or just miss out. But more importantly we'll get another 20 odd games into the promising batch of players so that next year a larger majority will be in their 4th, 5th and 6th years and will have that 50-120 games experience which is where we need to be in order to start pushing for success.

Very bullish for 2019 and this coming year will provide more highs than lows

Last edited:

RONNY LERNER’S BEST 22
B: Jimmy Webster, Nathan Brown, Sam Gilbert
HB: Jarryn Geary, Jake Carlisle, Dylan Roberton
C: Seb Ross, Jack Steven, Jack Newnes
HF: Jack Billings, Josh Bruce, Maverick Weller
F: Tim Membrey, Paddy McCartin, Jade Gresham
Foll: Billy Longer, Jack Steele, Koby Stevens
Inter: David Armitage, Luke Dunstan, Jack Sinclair, Blake Acres
Emerg: Hugh Goddard, Shane Savage, Jack Lonie

From my point of view.
In the squad for sure:
( based on mine and the popular opinions of others ).
Geary, Carlisle, Roberton
Ross, Steven
Billings Bruce, Membrey, Gresham
Longer, Steele
Sinclair.
---------------------------------
So a single tall back, probably between Brown and Austin , a chance for Clavarino or Goddard. Injury cover: OK. Biggest risk - Carlisle.

A single tall forward, and we all hope it will be Paddy. Marshall and Battle in the wings. Injury cover: OK , players are unproven, if push came to shove we could put someone like Hickey there, or a shorter player like Acres. Biggest Risk : Bruce.

2 Defenders. Webster, Savage, and Gilbert are all proven. White is not lost at AFL level and could well step up. McKenzie, Long for depth. A chance for Coffield or Rice. Injury Cover : Good. Biggest risk: Roberton.

1 Forward. I'd hope that Weller performs to keep the posi he made his own. In the wings is Lonie, Wright, and Long. Injury cover :OK

5 Mids.
A lot of people have written of Armitage. I tend to think he's an automatic in.
Newnes surely has his spot until he is pushed out by someone.
I rate Acres, Dunstan highest amongst the others. Last man on the bench could be someone like Savage, or Gilbert.

Depth we have Stevens, McKenzie, Wright, Clarke , Phillips , Minchington, Paton, Freeman

-------------------------------
After having one of our best mid's, and a key defender out all season I'm less worried about injury than ever before.
People keep talking about our lack of star power. Well if a "non-star" gets injured we chuck in another "non-star".

It’s the nature of the off-season, surely?

We didn’t bring in a wealth of ready-made types, and we haven’t seen any new additions play Senior footy yet; how can we possibly include them?

FWIW, by our return to finals next season, I’d love to see form warrant something like:

FB: Geary - Goddard - Webster
HB: White - Carlisle - Roberton
RK: Longer - Steele - Ross
CR: Sinclair - Freeman - Acres
HF: Billings - McCartin - Steven
FF: Gresham - Marshall - Membrey
IC: Newnes Long Coffield Clark

Em: Bruce Weller Dunstan Gilbert Stevens Austin

As an example of the point above, I’m a huge fan Bruce but I shudder about his kicking for goal, and love the things that Marshall brings to the table (that terrifying word, “potential...).

The thing to remember of course is when you’re picking an entirely hypothetical team, you’re always odds-on to go with the devil you know.

Those differentials numbers are interesting, including being first for tackles and 3rd for clearances for the year.

Considering we got smashed in the clearances in two of those first 4 games Hickey played, we might have been close to no.1 in the comp for clearance differentials from the time Billy came in.

No great surprises with the rest of those numbers tho.

Despite us saying we have depth, at present there are exactly 23 players who are actually in the frame as serious calibre for AFL
I think they're so similar because those 23 are (or were, prior to injury, in Armo's case) well established in the team by the end of last season- except for Paddy, who is the obvious like-for-like type swap for Roo.

So given how little Richo tends to like changing up his team, and that we didn't bring in anyone who's likely to walk straight into the team, it's hard to leave out anyone who was well established in the team, until such time as we see them playing again, and see which if any of them are no longer in the sort of form that would see them keep being automatically picked.

One of those 23 won't make our best 22, and then on top of them we've got Clark and Coffield, who will hopefully be good enough to come in and contribute year 1, and White and Rice, who were ready to play last season, but got very little look in, and a bunch of others who could easily be more ready to contribute, once they have another preseason under their belts, like Long, Battle and Marshall, then the "usual depth suspects" who can come in and do a job, in Lonie, D-Mac, Minch, Hickey and Wright, and then the "wildcards" in Freeman and Goddard, plus new addition Austin.

Think we'll have a fair few more outside the 22 who are going to be ready to contribute next year than we had this year.

Last edited:
Cannot see M
I think they're so similar because those 23 are (or were, prior to injury, in Armo's case) well established in the team by the end of last season- except for Paddy, who is the obvious like-for-like type swap for Roo.

So given how little Richo tends to like changing up his team, and that we didn't bring in anyone who's likely to walk straight into the team, it's hard to leave out anyone who was well established in the team, until such time as we see them playing again, and see which if any of them are no longer in the sort of form that would see them keep being automatically picked.

One of those 23 won't make our best 22, and then on top of them we've got Clark and Coffield, who will hopefully be good enough to come in and contribute year 1, and White and Rice, who were ready to play last season, but got very little look in, and a bunch of others who could easily be more ready to contribute, once they have another preseason under their belts, like Long, Battle and Marshall, then the "usual depth suspects" who can come in and do a job, in Lonie, D-Mac, Minch, Hickey and Wright, and then the "wildcards" in Freeman and Goddard, plus new addition Austin.

Think we'll have a fair few more outside the 22 who are going to be ready to contribute next year than we had this year.
Can't see Marshall or Battle getting a regular gig to be honest.

Long might get a look in up forward. Then Freeman hopefully. White should play from round one.

Gonna be interesting for sure.

Cannot see M

Can't see Marshall or Battle getting a regular gig to be honest.

Long might get a look in up forward. Then Freeman hopefully. White should play from round one.

Gonna be interesting for sure.

Agree - Marshall and Battle are backups in case of injury and suspension which is a good problem to have as both have potential.

Long White and Rice all on the cusp and could well feature strongly in 2018

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL website canned the article. Wow!
May be concerned at the reaction from the rest of the industry.

It seems to be back now.

"I don't think it would be speaking out of school to suggest that, in terms of like for like, in terms of match return, were we to have the same fixture next year as we had this year, with the same crowds, we're talking about a net return which is in multiple millions of dollars," Finnis said.

Compared to $150k, bumping it up into the millions is an enormous change. Presumably the AFL will just reduce our distribution by the same amount, so maybe not much difference to the bottom line, but at least it will allow us more control of our own destiny.

It’s the nature of the off-season, surely?

We didn’t bring in a wealth of ready-made types, and we haven’t seen any new additions play Senior footy yet; how can we possibly include them?

Well, yeah. I suppose that's my point. We lost two best 22 guys, didn't bring any in. So we're going to get basically the quality we saw last year, but without Roo and Joey. We're pinning all our hopes on natural progression of our existing guys, which is fine because there are quite a few poised to take the next step - but if they don't do it this year, we'll be behind the curve.

Sure, all that's true as far as it goes (though I don't expect much from Coffield next year, looks too light still for mine). We're relying on natural progression from the guys you've named.

I guess your point about White and Rice is exactly what I'm trying to say - they may have been "ready to play" but they weren't good enough to push out the guys in the side, and until they do for an extended period we won't find out if they're AFL quality. If we think we're contending, and we have a good run with injuries, then we actually risk guys like that stagnating in the twos for long periods. Even though realistically there are a few guys who are locks for our best 22 but have question marks over them for one reason or another.

Really annoyed at that '50 things we'll remember' on the AFL's website, what a joke! Maddie's Match this year, where Nick kicked the first goal and the eventual premiers were down by 82 points at halftime, should trump 95% of that **** and yet didn't even make the list!

Des Pickett, former Saint. Born 4th June 1925.

prickett_150.jpg

I moved to Melbourne from New South Wales with my family when I was nine years old. We travelled down the coast in a steam ship and arrived at the docks at Station Pier.

I lived in St Kilda when I was growing up but when I married my wife Alva we moved back into her family home in Mitford St to look after her father after her mother passed away. In all I’ve lived in Elwood and St Kilda for seventy-one years.

When I was eighteen years old I started playing footy for the 3rd Eighteen St Kilda City at the Peanut Farm. There was no clubhouse then so we used to use the garage at the back of a shop in Barkly St as a change room. It was a butchers shop and was owned by the president of club. I played there for two years and then joined the St Kilda Football Club at Junction Oval where I played for five years. I made lots of good friends there and we used to knock around together always in St Kilda because there was so much to do. We had some very wild times.

Last edited:
Des Pickett, former Saint. Born 4th June 1925.

prickett_150.jpg

I moved to Melbourne from New South Wales with my family when I was nine years old. We travelled down the coast in a steam ship and arrived at the docks at Station Pier.

I lived in St Kilda when I was growing up but when I married my wife Alva we moved back into her family home in Mitford St to look after her father after her mother passed away. In all I’ve lived in Elwood and St Kilda for seventy-one years.

When I was eighteen years old I started playing footy for the 3rd Eighteen St Kilda City at the Peanut Farm. There was no clubhouse then so we used to use the garage at the back of a shop in Barkly St as a change room. It was a butchers shop and was owned by the president of club. I played there for two years and then joined the St Kilda Football Club at Junction Oval where I played for five years. I made lots of good friends there and we used to knock around together always in St Kilda because there was so much to do. We had some very wild times.
How did Des end up here? i reported his passing some 12 months ago, he is my friends dad......................

Remove this Banner Ad

News 2017 St Kilda in the media

Remove this Banner Ad

Back