List Mgmt. 2017 Trade & FA Targets Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If we end up going to the draft with our 2 top 10 picks and the huge amount of SC then IMO its a very disappointing result. yes we can say we might get 2 great players but we have a once in 10 year chance of really getting a star. Others can speak with happiness if we are left with using the draft picks and I will choose to be very disappointed.

Surely if it's one or the other, for what they'll bring in two years time, it would be preferable to have Dusty and whoever we get with the two top 8 picks (either from the draft, or a trade or two, if Richmond don't match) rather than just one Kelly though?
That's a very good point.
Back on the Dusty train! :D

Rebuild,regrowth,re stump,reset just ask Carlton how long it's taking i would guess 10 years we haven't played finals for 7 years next year, we have already added our drafting rebuild we are at the stage were we strike while the irons hot or we miss out & reset again in what 4 or 5 years we need ready made players to give us an immediate push not add we kids again we end up in 11th spot in 2018.
Different list age profiles and I'm pretty sure Carlton fans won't complain if they win a flag.

All season including on national television the lack of A grade talent at St kilda has been discussed, now if your telling me the choice is A grade talent and the draft then fair enough I choose A grade talent.

If however your telling me that a young side like us would be better off bringing in more immediate impact players( read B grader) than go to the draft then no that's rubbish.

B graders with what we currently have will never take this side to a flag, I for one can wait an extra year or two if it means the difference between making up the numbers in the finals and winning a flag.

Bringing in b graders is an arse covering exercise disguised as a plan and will only end in tears.

Last edited:

I think what we all want is Kelly or some other elite mid from this trade period.

But if kelly and dusty re-sign and gaff/whitfield etc. are held by their teams then we are in a nice spot to look at pick 1.

Brisi has already said it will consider trading it. 7 and 8 for Pick 1, gives them two in the top 10 they need the influx of talent. Plus that dusty-esque pick 1 is a decent flight risk for them so they might not want 1.

I know many people have their doubts on rocky but he is a great mid. If we can't get kelly then taking Rocky FA giving brisi a pick 2 compo then trading 7 and 8 for pick 1. Leaves brisi winners picks 2, 7, 8 and leaves us turning picks 7 and 8 into rocky and pick 1. Not bad.

Different list age profiles and I'm pretty sure Carlton fans won't complain if they win a flag.

All season including on national television the lack of A grade talent at St kilda has been discussed, now if your telling me the choice is A grade talent and the draft then fair enough I choose A grade talent.

If however your telling me that a young side like us would be better off bringing in more immediate impact players( read B grader) than go to the draft then no that's rubbish.

B graders with what we currently have will never take this side to a flag, I for one can wait an extra year or too if it means the difference between making up the numbers in the finals and winning a flag.

Bringing in b graders is an arse covering exercise disguised as a plan and will only end in tears.

Who has suggested B graders.

Just listening to SEN and Choco Williams saying he thinks he will stay , well the way they dropped Williams I think Martin knows the clubs don't really have any feelings for anyone , so if I was him I'd go to a club he wants for the upgrade in money - Tigers have always shafted players and coaches from Tom Hafey, Bartlett and remember when Dusty last signed he would of gone if he had a good offer , he went and looked at GWS but he stayed at Richmond .

This time due to the low ball offer he copped first off from Richmond, it has most probably burn't him.

So he is currently on 500k , Richmond should of upped his place last year after his great year , he has had 2 good years and paid unders - so he should leave.

1379767309343.jpg

The disgraceful handling of troubled young footballer Dustin Martin reached a new low point on Thursday when the bewildered-looking 22-year-old was led around a football club he didn't really want to join.

And a club that, upon meeting Martin and upon brief reflection, came to the conclusion it did not really want him. Like Melbourne before it, Greater Western Sydney has enough of a job on its hands without taking on a high-maintenance player with social issues when what it craves is on-field leadership.

Martin clearly wants to remain at Richmond, which has been as good as home to him since he was drafted as a wayward but prodigiously talented 18-year-old and which has put in place a series of mentors and minders for him and offered him a two-year contract worth about $1million. Internally, both coach and captain are asking him to stay. Externally, either Martin's manager Ralph Carr or his father Shane must cut their losses and make it happen. While life in many ways would be significantly less stressful for the Tigers without Martin, he remains theirs and their problem. This columnist now seriously questions whether he is worth the trouble and if Martin does return to Tigerland with his tail between his legs it would serve everyone in his camp right if the offer is reduced.

Further, the AFL Players Association's agents board should make a point of analysing this debacle as a test case and seriously question Carr's accreditation. He has handled this so unprofessionally and should have realised how much potential harm he could cause his client.

Who has suggested B graders.
All of a sudden the talk has swung from Kelly, Martin etc to whoever is on the market.

I won't have a problem so long as the club sticks to targeted A grade talent with the first round picks and mega contracts. Whatever other side deals they make are incidental to the conversation.

Just listening to SEN and Choco Williams saying he thinks he will stay , well the way they dropped Williams I think Martin knows the clubs don't really have any feelings for anyone , so if I was him I'd go to a club he wants for the upgrade in money - Tigers have always shafted players and coaches from Tom Hafey, Bartlett and remember when Dusty last signed he would of gone if he had a good offer , he went and looked at GWS but he stayed at Richmond .

This time due to the low ball offer he copped first off from Richmond, it has most probably burn't him.

So he is currently on 500k , Richmond should of upped his place last year after his great year , he has had 2 good years and paid unders - so he should leave.

1379767309343.jpg

The disgraceful handling of troubled young footballer Dustin Martin reached a new low point on Thursday when the bewildered-looking 22-year-old was led around a football club he didn't really want to join.

And a club that, upon meeting Martin and upon brief reflection, came to the conclusion it did not really want him. Like Melbourne before it, Greater Western Sydney has enough of a job on its hands without taking on a high-maintenance player with social issues when what it craves is on-field leadership.

Martin clearly wants to remain at Richmond, which has been as good as home to him since he was drafted as a wayward but prodigiously talented 18-year-old and which has put in place a series of mentors and minders for him and offered him a two-year contract worth about $1million. Internally, both coach and captain are asking him to stay. Externally, either Martin's manager Ralph Carr or his father Shane must cut their losses and make it happen. While life in many ways would be significantly less stressful for the Tigers without Martin, he remains theirs and their problem. This columnist now seriously questions whether he is worth the trouble and if Martin does return to Tigerland with his tail between his legs it would serve everyone in his camp right if the offer is reduced.

Further, the AFL Players Association's agents board should make a point of analysing this debacle as a test case and seriously question Carr's accreditation. He has handled this so unprofessionally and should have realised how much potential harm he could cause his client.

If we are going to bag clubs for getting rid of people from their club then why would he come to us or probably any other club. All clubs are the same. Martin wont leave because of the way they sacked a few people. I think Martin should stay but if the money North are offering is true then its a huge decision.

Did I miss something? When/how did Roughy enter the conversation?

Also Dusty is worth every cent. It is not just a patch of good form. He has the attributes to consistently be one of the best, those just don't come and go.
The only thing is off field stuff, but he seems to have matured a lot. Plus... when it comes down to it there are probably a lot of players who are wanks off field so does it really matter that much?

Yeah I have lots of Richmond mates and I wanted him when they wouldn't over pay him last time. He's been very good for a long time but he's stepped up this last couple to be a proper match winner.

All of a sudden the talk has swung from Kelly, Martin etc to whoever is on the market.

I won't have a problem so long as the club sticks to targeted A grade talent with the first round picks and mega contracts. Whatever other side deals they make are incidental to the conversation.

Like who and where is the talk coming from?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he's an amazing player, dont get me wrong. i'm just worried about the cost $$$ wise. i think we might be seeing his peak and he could drop off from here

its more me making a future prediction on form. gut feel type call
I think the only FA you could compare him to is Danger and he didnt slow down in the 2 seasons he's been there. Infact he's the reason their top 4 now and he doesnt look like hes slowing down.
Weve got holes no doubt. But you look at richmond and the cats who added some quality and their exhisting players got better and their both top 4 now.
IMO McCartin will also be a huge factor next year or after. If he can come good like MG and others predict. Changes everything.

Like who and where is the talk coming from?
The same place all the talk on here comes from, just about everything on here is rumour and conjecture.

We are discussing hypotheticals, I'm just reading between the lines.

All of a sudden the Kelly and Martin confidence stopped and players like hall and gaff started to come up, bye the way I don't mind gaff but I have my reasons for being less enthusiastic about trading for him.

What would you do plugger if we can't get A graders in targeted positions, take what we can , hit the draft or both.

The same place all the talk on here comes from, just about everything on here is rumour and conjecture.

We are discussing hypotheticals, I'm just reading between the lines.

All of a sudden the Kelly and Martin confidence stopped and players like hall and gaff started to come up, bye the way I don't mind gaff but I have my reasons for being less enthusiastic about trading for him.

What would you do plugger if we can't get A graders in targeted positions, take what we can , hit the draft or both.

Firstly I take notice about anything written on here. As you say its all hypotheticals even from the apparent ITK so I wouldn't get to worried about that. If it was me I would do everything possible to get a star even if we need to slightly overpay them and the club we are trying to lure them from. If none are available then unfortunately we go to the draft and hope again. Don't like that idea but I certainly wouldn't target B graders with a top 10 pick. Doubt the club will either.

If we are looking at trading our firsts for a high quality player, would it be worth keeping 1 of our 2017 1st rounders and trading out the 2018 first rounder instead?

Hi guys, just wanted to know what your boards information wrt Kelly was. The main boards d&t thread is so polluted by north posters I imagine any serious poster wouldn't bother. As far as I can tell Carlton are pushing hard but I have no idea if the St Kilda link is purely media speculation due to the 2 first round picks or if your club has engaged seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back