2018 Bendigo Football League

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What can you say about the Bendigo FNL - it used to be one of the strongest competitions in the State and now is a basket case. The head in the sand mentality especially amongst the strong performing clubs is frightening - they are happy being the big fish in the small pond! We may as well play the finals now as the top five are pretty much decided! A pretty sad situation and the efforts of all concerned have contributed to what has resulted - I think everyone was hoping the problem would go away! The low crowds at games this year are testament to the lack of interest in the league.

Plenty of people happy to take shots at the league and clubs but no real suggestions or strategies on how to improve things... Come on lads..what would you do?

I know the first place I'd start but bet it never happens

Plenty of people happy to take shots at the league and clubs but no real suggestions or strategies on how to improve things... Come on lads..what would you do?

I know the first place I'd start but bet it never happens

I've put my suggestions on here plenty of times Roota starting with the Goldfields league. (Combined Bendigo/Ballarat with two divisions). It was actually discussed by all clubs in both leagues and raised in the Bendigo Advertiser at the time.

Where would you start?

I've put my suggestions on here plenty of times Roota starting with the Goldfields league. (Combined Bendigo/Ballarat with two divisions). It was actually discussed by all clubs in both leagues and raised in the Bendigo Advertiser at the time.

Where would you start?

Too many clubs in and around Maryborough and Castlemaine. I'd be looking at mergers to reduce this and centralise the clubs into Maryborough and Castlemaine's BFL sides

Too many clubs in and around Maryborough and Castlemaine. I'd be looking at mergers to reduce this and centralise the clubs into Maryborough and Castlemaine's BFL sides

The point I really want to make is these issues should be being discussed right now by the BFNL administration.

Just a random idea AlburyE, imagine a two tier combined Bendigo/Goulburn Valley league excluding perhaps Castlemaine and Maryborough? Kynton to Benalla is about 2 hours.

I would like to see that!

I think it has a lot of merit Silver. All the really good sides playing one another (and the weaker ones too in the lower division) would create a lot more interesting games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not really my place to release details of confidential discussions but I think its been discussed publicly before that the number of clubs in the region is an issue, junior structure is currently being reviewed

And when do you expect these confidential discussions to be revealed to the public ROOTA?

The hard questions need to be asked about clubs. Are Maryborough and Castlemaine up to BFL standard and can they be once again?
Junior situation with no Under 18's wont allow club to develop from within and for every year they don't have juniors in their club the question has to be asked are they a major league club?
If you lose these 2 clubs what is the viability in retaining Gisborne and Kyneton as would make more sense for both to join Ballarat or RDFL. The issue then becomes who could be added to the league?
I think the issue is country clubs are getting caught up on league status ( major / minor) whereas its a survival issue that is creeping up on all and not even close to being addressed.
The hands of the competitions are being put into being managed by AFL Vic hubs and whilst some minor policy issues are raised in newspapers the direction and long term plans in regards to club, league and strategic plan aren't being addressed.
The hubs answer to the above is "we are working with all clubs to help develop the game and grow the competitions"
Based on a salary cap and points system you cannot go out and change the fortunes of a club same year anymore, it has to be over 3+ years. Do Castlemaine and Maryborough survive in the BFL, as is, for another 3 years?
Actions are now required and this is now where rubber has to hit the road and ask a couple of simple hard questions.

The Flat are paying the price for decisions made between 2014/2016 re coaching appointments and recruiting.

The problem is that he had no “runs on the board” as a senior coach, but his presentations are top notch. Seems to make positions up to suit himself.

They clearly need to re-structure the football in this area. Under performing clubs to the south (Maine, Maryborough) and flat make the league look like a laughing stock. There’s talk of Maiden Gully in the next 5-6 years wanting to make the move into the big boys, also heard a whisper that Huntley may be looking to do the same. It’s clearly not going to change in the next 2-3 years. But does the Hub come out and say that in the next 5-8 years, team a,b and c will be entering the BFL. Teams d, e and f will be sent elsewhere. There will be a restructure of the two leagues underneath the BFL, to deliver a second division, without promotion or relegation as I don’t think it would work, and clubs not in the plan moved to other leagues.

The problem is that he had no “runs on the board” as a senior coach, but his presentations are top notch. Seems to make positions up to suit himself.

They clearly need to re-structure the football in this area. Under performing clubs to the south (Maine, Maryborough) and flat make the league look like a laughing stock. There’s talk of Maiden Gully in the next 5-6 years wanting to make the move into the big boys, also heard a whisper that Huntley may be looking to do the same. It’s clearly not going to change in the next 2-3 years. But does the Hub come out and say that in the next 5-8 years, team a,b and c will be entering the BFL. Teams d, e and f will be sent elsewhere. There will be a restructure of the two leagues underneath the BFL, to deliver a second division, without promotion or relegation as I don’t think it would work, and clubs not in the plan moved to other leagues.

Congratulations to Luke West for the article in today's Bendigo Advertiser which advocates a shake up of the BFNL.

Does the AFL have a department that keeps an eye out for the health of country leagues, I know that we have AFL Goulburn Murray, AFL Central Murray etc but with the majority of recruits coming from the TAC Cup each year, one would think that Gil would tip in, considering that the AFL is a billion dollar industry. If they can keep pumping money into the Gold Coast, then they can look after country clubs here in Victoria and indeed around Australia because this is the lifeblood of the big wigs in Melbourne.

Wo
Won't work roota, too much politics and bullshit around Castlemaine and surrounding clubs, blokes don't wanna play here, don't wanna go there, don't like the President, coach etc...they're too serious, i only wanna have a kick blah blah blah.....young blokes today r pi55 weak and can only survive having they're ego's stroked.

Can anyone at Strath enlighten me as to the whereabouts of Hugh Robertson ??...don't recall seeing his name on the teamlist so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back