Prediction 2018 breakout player

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack Crisp makes 40 man AA squad as a defender imo.

Treloar makes the AA team.

This one intrigues me. I’m not confident we’ll see it, but it would be a great sign.

For instance it gives us two defenders amongst the best 5-10 league wide (Howe obviously the other) and we haven’t had that since the GF years. Not only that, but it also provides us something we haven’t seen much of under Buckley which is a guy breaking out after 50+ matches at the club who isn’t in that under 22 bracket that you just know is going to go bang (Beamer 12, Reid 11, Pendles 09 and Cloke 07).

Along the lines of Johnno in 06, Davis in 09, Maxwell and Harry O in 10 and Swannie in 07 it is usually this sort of individual growth that leads to whole of team improvement because it’s sets a standard!

This one intrigues me. I’m not confident we’ll see it, but it would be a great sign.

For instance it gives us two defenders amongst the best 5-10 league wide (Howe obviously the other) and we haven’t had that since the GF years. Not only that, but it also provides us something we haven’t seen much of under Buckley which is a guy breaking out after 50+ matches at the club who isn’t in that under 22 bracket that you just know is going to go bang (Beamer 12, Reid 11, Pendles 09 and Cloke 07).

Along the lines of Johnno in 06, Davis in 09, Maxwell and Harry O in 10 and Swannie in 07 it is usually this sort of individual growth that leads to whole of team improvement because it’s sets a standard!
He was great in that spot in the second half of last season imo. If he can keep on improving he becomes a very good defensive player (good pace, tackler, strength and endurance) who still offers a bit on the rebound. The defensive stuff in particular is what we desperately need because when the ball gets over the back into space we are very weak. Biggest issue will be decision-making which is at times Maynardesque.

Improvement of 3-5% across the board from our 25 and under brigade l would like to see.
Rather than just one or two players.

There is a long list of guys that really need to step up and go to the next level this year, some might even be playing for their careers, here's hoping because if three or four of em can peak we will be in pretty good shape. In terms of a stand out/breakout year, Maynard seems to be in the box seat at the moment with De Goey a close run second favourite.

Last edited:
There is a long list of guys that really need to step up and go to the next level this year, some might even be playing for their careers, here's hoping because of three or four of em can peak we will be in pretty good shape. In terms of a stand out/breakout year, Maynard seems to be in the box seat at the moment with De Goey a close run second favourite.
Agree the early focus seems on them. I still hold hope for Aish, he finished 2016 pretty strongly but then never got out of first gear in 2017

The 3 this year that need their breakouts are Maynard, De Goey and Moore. All are going into their 4th season now and are primed to go from 'good' player to 'great' players.

If these 3 guys turn into stars, that draft will right a lot of wrongs from other years drafting.

Hoskin-Elliott is another one who can take his game to a new level. I suppose it depends what you mean by 'break-out'. Guys like De Goey, Maynard, Moore and WHE have already established themselves, but I don't reckon they've 'broken out' yet.

In terms of guys outside of the best 22 who I think will begin establishing themselves I reckon will be McLarty (provided the incident at training was simply heat stroke) and also Josh Daicos

He'll definitely break something

Was going to say the same thing.

Also, Kirby will break all his clothes by about Boxing Day, but that's this year!

I think Phillips will have a great year. He is a ball magnet and started to clean his disposal up a lot last season. Will be a Scully type for us, which we could use.

Last edited:
Meaningful Breakout seasons from
De Goey
Hoskin Elliot
Moore
Maynard
If all four achieve this (other things being equal) we will advance.

Will be interested to watch
Phillips
Cox

Hopefully a career revival from
Reid
Wills
Wells
Aish

And strong progress from
Kirby
McLarty
Daicos
Broomhead?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jack Crisp makes 40 man AA squad as a defender imo.

Treloar makes the AA team.
I was going to post something similar.
I think a lot of value to our team will be Crisp running off half back. I’m happy he spent time there this year, just couldn’t understand why it wasn’t done earlier.

Add natural improvement to Moore, de Goey and Maynard and I think the collective value add for us is quite high.

Crisp
Moore
Maynard
De Goey

Varcoe
Wells

And Broomy being the crumber we need up forward.

I thought this year was WHE's breakout year to be honest. A hell of a lot better player than I thought he was.

I don't know about breakout years for our guys, but I think we can expect reasonable improvement from

De Goey
Cox
Maynard
Crisp
Cal Brown
Josh Daicos
Tom Langdon (full pre season & hopefully no injuries)
Moore ( I hope it's in the forward line)

De Goey, Maynard and Kirby. I know everyone is a fan of Maynard in the guts but I think in order for De Goey to hit the level we need him to be at he needs that midfield spot. Not sure if you can count first year players but I think Stephenson will also add to our team (fingers crossed for rising star)

I love development threads (are you reading Saintly Viewed ?) y'all know I think this word is the most important word in the football dictionary and this brings me to my delivery of epiphany.

I remember back in around 2014 and 15 the whole footy world was looking at our young and raw, undeveloped list and rated it as a future contender like about now. So what happened? Well shitty development has been a large part of the problem, not the whole but a large part.

However stay hopeful I say! The ship has not as yet sailed and in particular this off season gives me optimism, as simple as it may seem but starting pre season with footy in hand even though not skill drills is big IMV and it's not too late in fact far from it to develop our young raw guys correctly this time around.

JDG
MOORE
MAYNARD
WHE
AISH
BROOMY
MURRAY
COX
CRISPY
CAL BROWN
DAICS
SHAZ

These guy's spring to mind straight away as potential B grade and above, JDG, Moore, Bruzzy, Shaz and Daic's junior have the potential to be A grade even elite with the right development. To add some more optimism there is 2-3 seasons of continuity for most of these guy's now and it seems the club sees that and wants to capatilize on their familiarity

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction 2018 breakout player

Remove this Banner Ad

Back