2018 pre season

Remove this Banner Ad

The Inbetweener

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2011
Footscray
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
We all seem to agree we need to have a "big pre season" so thought I'd start a thread on any news.

So far the only news isn't great - two players already off for hip surgery in Tim English and Marcus Adams. Adams a frustrating one. Club rolled the dice thinking we would play finals and he would be back. Now they both have a 3-4 month rehab in front of them.

Great to get any other pieces of news along the way posted here

Why Grundy played for the Pies from an early age and has done alright.
Chris Grant was also a gun at a young age, so whichever player we draft with pick 105 in this year's Draft can be expected to kick over 50 goals next year, right?

Chris Grant was also a gun at a young age, so whichever player we draft with pick 105 in this year's Draft can be expected to kick over 50 goals next year, right?

No need for the sarcasm, I am just backing the club if they decide he is ready for more senior games next year.

A day after the end of the home and away season if they're fair dinkum. But, seriously, it's late October isn't it?

It should be around mid November for the 1st to 4th year players

Things i'd like to see change:-
Rohan Smith absolutely must be the backline coach. Of all coaching changes that may occur, this is the most crucial. We are desperately short of backline generals that can direct our zone defence to be implemented correctly. Dale Morris is likely in his last year, Wood is oft injured as is Adams who while promising simply hasn't played enough games yet. I want Rohan Smith back in there to micro manage this critical area. I'd also like to see a similar Moyd style transition to the backline by one of our established mids like Wallis. Why? Because we have interceptors, stoppers and rebounders. What made Moyd special was that he was a contested ball/clearance beast
before Bevo moved him down back. We need someone that can get to the 50/50 balls, win the contest and get it out to our rebounders. We absolutely struggled this year with Moyd's decline as well as his voice not out there. Wallis would be the one i'd tap to go back.

Bailey Dale, Toby Mclean, need to put on more size and strength. They're going to be great for us in the middle but simply need more size. I'd also like to see Bonts and Macrae put on about 3-4 more kg. It's about sticking tackles and winning contested possessions.

We were ranked only 11th for total contested possessions this year. All 8 teams that made finals this year totaled more. In 2016 we were second only to Sydney for total contested possessions. Of more importance is the number of uncontested possessions this year in which we also ranked 11th. We were number 1 last year by a long margin because of our tendency to handball out of trouble. We were nowhere near that slickness this year. This must be addressed. I dont know if hand ball club stopped or maybe our setup around stoppages was wrong, either way, this must be addressed because this is our identity. This is what makes us great.

Goal kicking - Seems like this is a perennial gripe but for crying out loud can we get someone to the club to work on our bloody goal kicking. I have zero confidence in any player taking a set shot. Absolutely zero.

Lastly, I hope the boys come back with some anger. This year is well beneath the standard they've set the previous two years and our team more than any other relies on every single player contributing all the time. This iteration has never had the luxury of a super talented backline or forward line. We've made do in those two areas because our midfield protected both. And so you see when not everyone is contributing, you get this result for the year.

We were a better TEAM in 2015 than we were this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A big deal was made of our handball club - it was throwing! Shock horror. The AFL vowed to clamp down. Next thing, ALL clubs were doing it! We lost our advantage (amongst other things). They also took away third man up which we used so well. Beveridge will have to come up with something to give us an edge, that doesn't depend on big bodies. Our skills desperately need work as well.

So someone spotted Eastern Wood running laps down at the club and mention to him his here abit early and Wood said it's never to early for pre-season.
Seriously hope he gets the nod to captain the side next year and beyond. Just has the right attitude about him and such dedication to already be out on the track.

I also notice on a Twitter pic that Lin Jong must have had surgery on his wrist. That blokes had had a lot of ops.
Many have already been training. They were given programs to do whilst away. They could choose to do the programs whilst on leave or start official training 2 weeks early. Id suggest thats probably early November.

I also notice on a Twitter pic that Lin Jong must have had surgery on his wrist. That blokes had had a lot of ops.
Many have already been training. They were given programs to do whilst away. They could choose to do the programs whilst on leave or start official training 2 weeks early. Id suggest thats probably early November.
Jong has the wrist in plaster at the vfl final against port I noticed .

So someone spotted Eastern Wood running laps down at the club and mention to him his here abit early and Wood said it's never to early for pre-season.
Seriously hope he gets the nod to captain the side next year and beyond. Just has the right attitude about him and such dedication to already be out on the track.
Like Woody, but I want Bont as captain. Let him have the captaincy for the next 10 years.

Marcus Adams, Lin Jong and Tory Dickson back at the club early. Looks like they’ve been surprised with a new locker room configuration - now just one big communal area instead of several rows.
I wonder if this is an initiative to improve team unity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marcus Adams, Lin Jong and Tory Dickson back at the club early. Looks like they’ve been surprised with a new locker room configuration - now just one big communal area instead of several rows.
I wonder if this is an initiative to improve team unity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like a good idea. Where did you see this?

Remove this Banner Ad

2018 pre season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back