Grand Slam 2018 US Open - The last GS with 32 seeds

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah exactly I was saying it for a while 2-3 years ago, him and Rafa, but no, they keep going and I still think more than capable, I'd like to see millman play fed again no later than Aus open 2019 and see what happens. Still think fed has it, weather playing a factor in this match? anyway, fed and Rafa proving me wrong all the time when I say there done, think they have a year or two left each at least, just because of who they are.
Never write off a champion. Ofcourse many of us had written off Federer, nadal and djokovic before they came back and won slams again. I also understand that he won a slam this year, but a few things went his way, one of those being the most favourable schedule of plays for a player ever seen at a grand slam.

But just on my observation of Federer this year is that there has been a noticeable decline on his form. Especially compared to January to July of 2017. Can he get back to that level? Possibly. I doubt it though with his age.

Yeah exactly I was saying it for a while 2-3 years ago, him and Rafa, but no, they keep going and I still think more than capable, I'd like to see millman play fed again no later than Aus open 2019 and see what happens. Still think fed has it, weather playing a factor in this match? anyway, fed and Rafa proving me wrong all the time when I say there done, think they have a year or two left each at least, just because of who they are.

I cant see anyone beating Rafa at the French for at least another 5 years lol

Never write off a champion. Ofcourse many of us had written off Federer, nadal and djokovic before they came back and won slams again. I also understand that he won a slam this year, but a few things went his way, one of those being the most favourable schedule of plays for a player ever seen at a grand slam.

But just on my observation of Federer this year is that there has been a noticeable decline on his form. Especially compared to January to July of 2017. Can he get back to that level? Possibly. I doubt it though with his age.
He won the Australian Open ffs.

He won the Australian Open ffs.
How much of Federer have you watched post aus open this year?

And what is exactly wrong with my statement? I stated that Feds level since the aus open is a long way off of his form from January to july in 2017. With the resurgence of Djokovic and Nadal’s form in 2018.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has still made Finals of Masters series events in Indian wells and Cincy, I wouldn't say he's in desperate need of retiring.
I didn't say he should retire, I'm stating that he is less than likely to win another slam. IW was in March (fed also only had to play 5 bo3 matches over the space of 2 weeks) and Cincinnati is the fastest MS surface on tour.

I didn't say he should retire, I'm stating that he is less than likely to win another slam. IW was in March (fed also only had to play 5 bo3 matches over the space of 2 weeks) and Cincinnati is the fastest MS surface on tour.

My apologies I mixed you up with another posters comments, I agree with what you said and I think Wimbledon is Federer's only chance of more slam success now.

My apologies I mixed you up with another posters comments, I agree with what you said and I think Wimbledon is Federer's only chance of more slam success now.
And the Aus Open, where the court can be as fast as grass sometimes. Personally, he will need some "luck" to win a GS from now on. He will need to catch someone on an off day, get a favourable draw and paint the lines.

I am worried about his fitness. Losing a 5 setter at Wimbledon. Suffering in the heat here. Not signs of a fit fit man, which is understandable.

How many injuries Has Nadal had during a slam?
too many.

Which is why i find it silly to think that it is a given that Nadal will get to 20. 2 years ago, the guy couldn't walk. He could have easily been 2 sets to love down this year at the French v Diego Schwartzman.

I think this week has been huge for Thiem. making quarters on (admitting) a slow hard court is a sign he is getting better and better in his all round game.

I'll be a Kyrgios stan till the end, but there's something to be said about a journeyman and a 19yo, defying expectations and playing out of their skin. It's a fair change of pace to what we've been accustomed to, and yeah it's probably a saner way to watch the sport.

Very funny interview with Millman's dad (aka The Fox ;) ) on SEN tonight. Totally down to earth, too busy to go over to see John play his quarter-final :p

Finally saw some extended highlights. It reminded me of the match Millman played agaisnt Federer a few years ago in Brisbane where Federer made a lot of UEs. But that was the beginning of the year and he was a bit rusty and got better as the match went on. Looks like the heat did play a big part in this match but that's all part of tennis. Good for John that it worked in his favour today, he has the constitution of an ox!

The seeding changes could hurt Fed at the AO. He could cop a top 20 player in the 1st round. I wonder how much 32 seeds has helped the current generation.

Well Done Johnny, what a win for him. I watched this match recorded and honestly wanted to see John walk out on court and play a few games because that alone is a big accomplishment for John. Had no idea what was to come. I'll admit Roger played awful but John didn't let down and actually didn't get tight at the big points. Great story for a guy who has been through so much, almost brought tears to my eyes watching it, pretty much everyone was stunned. Nothing sweeter than hearing the ESPN commentators being so disappointed with a result, they basically mumbled when John won.

Best moment of the year and like someone else said best win for an Aussie since Sam beat Serena here.

September 4 is now national John Millman Day now.

Now to get spanked by Novak in the quarters...

The seeding changes could hurt Fed at the AO. He could cop a top 20 player in the 1st round. I wonder how much 32 seeds has helped the current generation.
the last time I heard about the potential seeding arrangement, it seemed like they weren't going to change it after all. That was just before the US open. I may be wrong as it was a tweet from Ben IIRC.

Again, the WTA doesn't need it. They keep getting new semi-finalists every slam. And i don't think it will help the ATP either. The top top players will always win, regardless of whom they play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Grand Slam 2018 US Open - The last GS with 32 seeds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back