Socceroos 2018 WCQ THREAD-v HONDURAS FOR SPOT IN RUSSIA (Dates TBC)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perth fans have cried out to see the Socceroos for years. It's a small-ish stadium, I think they have the pricing right. If it doesn't sell out (or close) then the FFA have been justified in their decision over the last few years.

I think it's gouging from the FFA. They get a bit crowd and they profit, they get a low crowd and it justifies their stance to hardly ever have matches in Perth. Win win from their perspective.

Australia vs Bangladesh is the dudliest of dud fixtures. The Asian Cup played matches at AAMI Park, Hunter Stadium and Canberra Stadium - yet there was no 'small-ish stadium' premium relative to matches held in Sydney and Brisbane.

To put it into perspective Australia played Japan in Brisbane (the highest ranked team in Asia) in the fourth (and final for everyone except the 3rd placed team in each group) round of WC qualifiers in 2012. Tickets started from $40. Ground was about 3/4 full. We hosted Oman in Sydney. Ground was about half full. We hosted Jordan at Docklands. Ground was about 80% full. But year $55 for a first round qualifier against Bangladesh isn't taking the piss out of Perth fans at all...

http://press.laterooms.com.au/news/...stralia-v-japan-soccer-match-in-brisbane.html

Luongo and Sainsbury have withdrawn from the squad due to injury.

De Silva and Tomislav Mrcela have been called up as their replacements.

Does anyone know anything about Mrcela? I've read that he's been in good form in the Croatian league for a number of seasons but admittedly I don't know anything about him.

Luongo and Sainsbury have withdrawn from the squad due to injury.

De Silva and Tomislav Mrcela have been called up as their replacements.

Does anyone know anything about Mrcela? I've read that he's been in good form in the Croatian league for a number of seasons but admittedly I don't know anything about him.
Never heard of him.

Would be stoked if De Silva gets a game. Should commit him to Australia, in the case that Italy would come knocking.

edit: Thought DS had a link to Italy but could be mistaken.

Never heard of him.

Would be stoked if De Silva gets a game. Should commit him to Australia, in the case that Italy would come knocking.

edit: Thought DS had a link to Italy but could be mistaken.
He's signed with Roma.

I'm not big on De Silva, I think his time will come in the future. From what I've seen of him in the A-league he's not good enough yet
In qualifiers against the likes of Bangladesh he will be fine. Besides, he needs the experience because if he keeps on his current trajectory he could be a key player for us come the 2018 world cup if we qualify.

Tend to agree on De Silva - not sure if he'll be ready to play but will at least be good experience for him to be involved in the national team setup. Being part of the squad should also give him confidence in his abilities instead of being potentially overawed about training next to some of the big names in the squad. At the end of the day, probably better to involve him against 'lighter' opposition than some of the tougher teams we should encounter later on.

Actually never heard of Tomislav Mrcela before the weekend - doesn't appear to have been involved in any of the junior national team setups and being of Croatian heritage, potentially was eligible for them as well - if so, always good to cap players to keep them out of reach of other sides. 24 year old CB, maybe another they want to involve with a longer term outlook (3-4 years down the track).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

10.30pm WST on SBS tonight, match starts at 11pm WST (local time 9pm kick off? o_O seems rather late for a Tuesday)
8 PM kick off. They're 4 hours behind Melbourne and it kicks off midnight here apparently

Hmm...FIFA website says 8pm local...Wikipedia says 9pm local...TV guide has the coverage running from 10.30pm-1.15am...
Socceroos website has it midnight AEST, which is 8 PM local.

Suddenly Subi isn't so bad anymore...

1434457856116.jpg

1434458466241.jpg

1434458528260.jpg

1434458624026.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back