Training 2019 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Brilliant stuff Saints media thats the sort of material supporters should see regularly.
100% agree.

Been saying that we need more material especially for us interstate members that cant watch them train etc

Keep it up!

It's exciting to see the group of young players that we have in that video; I'm reminded that we have a fair number that have shown something already at AFL level:
- Clark
- Coff
- Long
- Steele
- Battle
- Paton
- Lonie
- Paddy
- Marshall
- Gresh!

I know it's a pretty glass-half-full approach but I'm genuinely excited about all of those guys. You can add pick 4 to the mix. I'm also pretty bullish about a few others but haven't seen enough of them yet.

Think 2019 could be an exciting season.
Phillips did better with his AFL games than Paton IMO.

Yes Philips is another... had no trouble finding the footy at AFL level. Another to watch in 2019.

Acres and Dunstan are another two that have looked brilliant at times but struggle for consistency.

Plhillips played on the wing - Paton spent most of his time at half forward.

Increased his possession rate with each game, played a bit higher up the ground in his last game and consequently won a lot more of the ball.

Kicked a goal in the three games he played, good disposal both sides of the body - pretty impressive as a first year rookie.

So I'm pretty bullish about Paton - not a star but I reckon he will at least be be a consistent GOP and I reckon he will pass Phillips this year.

Plhillips played on the wing - Paton spent most of his time at half forward.

Increased his possession rate with each game, played a bit higher up the ground in his last game and consequently won a lot more of the ball.

Kicked a goal in the three games he played, good disposal both sides of the body - pretty impressive as a first year rookie.

So I'm pretty bullish about Paton - not a star but I reckon he will at least be be a consistent GOP and I reckon he will pass Phillips this year.

I agree that Patton has a lot to offer, should he be able to put all the pieces together. Would love to see him become a Schneider type of forward/playmaker. However I think Phillips could be something really good. His running and disposal is great, and so is his tackling, has the tools to be a key member of the squad, once again, that's if it all comes together for him.

thanks to Georges great work with the Saints Archive thread i spent far to many hours last night watching old Saints stuff ... so i was watching the open mike interview with Stevie Baker , while lots of thaat interview made me cringe and i reckon Bakes came off as a total moronic bogan from that interview i did find it funny how his very first presason session went ... for those who havent seen it or have forgotten a young Bakes went out the night before the first session of the year with Aussie Jones and Barry Hall with Bakes getting so drunk he passed out at Barrys house... the first session for the year with the brand new coach coming in for day one (Tim Watson) all players were to turn up to train at 7:30am, 1pm Bakes wakes up at Baz's place soaking wet ... turns out Baz tried to wake him with a bucket of water for the training but he was out , so bakes turns up 6 hours late for day one as a new recruit... let that just sink in for a second .... and here we are stressing cause a elite runner lapped one of our boys in a time trial ...

thanks to Georges great work with the Saints Archive thread i spent far to many hours last night watching old Saints stuff ... so i was watching the open mike interview with Stevie Baker , while lots of thaat interview made me cringe and i reckon Bakes came off as a total moronic bogan from that interview i did find it funny how his very first presason session went ... for those who havent seen it or have forgotten a young Bakes went out the night before the first session of the year with Aussie Jones and Barry Hall with Bakes getting so drunk he passed out at Barrys house... the first session for the year with the brand new coach coming in for day one (Tim Watson) all players were to turn up to train at 7:30am, 1pm Bakes wakes up at Baz's place soaking wet ... turns out Baz tried to wake him with a bucket of water for the training but he was out , so bakes turns up 6 hours late for day one as a new recruit... let that just sink in for a second .... and here we are stressing cause a elite runner lapped one of our boys in a time trial ...
Great story Trav, and pretty funny to be honest. I dare say times have changed though.

The interesting thing with Brandon for me is when he was drafted I got a text from a mate who works in player management and recruits players heavily from TAC Cup who said the Saints have jagged an absolute ripper. Meant to be a great kid, tough and with plenty of talent... for some reason so far we've only seen flashes of that at AFL level and reading between the lines this could be his last year if he doesn't string some games together.

Happy to put the stories around the time trial to the side for now, but bloody hope he's training the house down over summer.

In the comparison above between Ed Phillips and Paton, it must be remembered that Ed was in his 2nd season and Paton his first.
But I like them both.
I was impressed in the game against Collingwood where Ed was playing on his brother, and they embraced before the game started. Very poignant scene.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great story Trav, and pretty funny to be honest. I dare say times have changed though.

The interesting thing with Brandon for me is when he was drafted I got a text from a mate who works in player management and recruits players heavily from TAC Cup who said the Saints have jagged an absolute ripper. Meant to be a great kid, tough and with plenty of talent... for some reason so far we've only seen flashes of that at AFL level and reading between the lines this could be his last year if he doesn't string some games together.

Happy to put the stories around the time trial to the side for now, but bloody hope he's training the house down over summer.
i think the point im making is some players walk in day one the total professional ... Rooey the prime example ... otheres need to utilise the preseason to build up for the season ahead ...
for some players it takes time for the penny to drop and them to realise that their career could be over very quickly .. an example of that was Lenny in his early years where he (as he wrote in his book) was not giving himself the best chance to make it by the way he was coming back not in shape for preseason..
some players that penny never does drop and they will end up playing lower levels asking what if .. but White is still young so i have hope it will click for him before it costs him his AFL dream

Phillips was good in his games but Paton was better with his left foot than Phillips was with his right. Ed was awful by foot but hopefully he can clean that up.

Hope the skippers doing plenty of disposal work.

I hope they are ALL working on their skills. Jesus man, I don't think I'll manage another season without losing my shit completely, if I have to endure another season watching guys being paid a fortune for a job that they can't do effectively.

Anyone see the swagger on Josh Battle in that Linton St video? Kid has a whole book of tickets, written by himself for himself. Here's hoping that translates onto the field as we could use it!
Played with his brother and Josh did pre season with us

Did not lack confidence even as a 16 year old lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2019 Preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Back