Training 2019 preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Great pics Zucvv. Thanks.

Interesting that pics show Schache matching up on ruckman Sweet.

So will Schache have some part time ruck duties this year?
Looked like they were doing one on one contests between evenly matched height/body shapes. Like Bont and Naughty in the other pics. Love it that Bont is a similiar size to our blue chip KPD

Last edited:

I thought it was BT with the Llllllllllloooooooooyyyyyyyyyyyddd, but maybe they all do it.
You kind of can't help it :$
I think the Rex Meme is probably referring to him calling the Lloyd of the Matthew variety. Back in the yibbada yibbada/thank your mother for the rabbits golden era.

I thought it was BT with the Llllllllllloooooooooyyyyyyyyyyyddd, but maybe they all do it.
You kind of can't help it :$
I was pretty sure Rex did it first.......

(Log in to remove this ad.)

surely we can find 4 or 5 reliable forwards on our list this year.
Gowers, Schache, Wallis from last year, that's 3.

Mid/forwards we have Bont & Lloyd, they probably combine to 1 effective forward given their TOG there.

1 resting ruckman most of the time (effectiveness needs a big *).

Then we have a bunch of question marks:
- Can Dickson stay on the paddock?
- Will Greene still perform
- Where is Bailey Dale at?
- Will Bailey Smith play and rest forward?
- Will McLean and/or Dunkley spend time forward?
- Cavarra?

Gowers, Schache, Wallis from last year, that's 3.

Mid/forwards we have Bont & Lloyd, they probably combine to 1 effective forward given their TOG there.

1 resting ruckman most of the time (effectiveness needs a big *).

Then we have a bunch of question marks:
- Can Dickson stay on the paddock?
- Will Greene still perform
- Where is Bailey Dale at?
- Will Bailey Smith play and rest forward?
- Will McLean and/or Dunkley spend time forward?
- Cavarra?

Didn’t Wallis say (reported on here) in an interview he considered himself a midfielder first ???

I will try to find, but it’s a concern on both fronts...

I read this sentiment quite a bit here. I'm not convinced that we just don't know how to develop talls. I suspect a lot of it is that what we thought were good raw materials don't turn out to be that good in the first place. Or else injuries have cruelled their chances.

Taking a few examples that come to mind over the last dcade or so ...
  • Jarrad Grant was never a genuine KPF due to his build and was a terrible choice as a top 5 pick in the draft
  • Ayce Cordy was meant to be a ruck not a KPP but had similar physique problems to Grant. And also injuries.
  • Zaine Cordy however is coming along nicely for a F/S picked up late in the draft. Not as tall and still lightly framed but doing a lot of things right and a regular selection in the seniors even in his first couple of seasons.
  • Stringer has great natural talent but needs to get his head right before he can be regarded as a genuine star of the game. Essendon might benefit from it but I suspect it'll be more about his brain finally maturing (at 25 years+) than anything they do different to us. Besides he's just an oversized midfielder/ medium-fwd like Bont and Macrae, not really a genuine tall.
  • Liam Jones was pretty terrible for us and was the same at Carlton as well until they switched him to defence. He's still a bit of a weirdo but yes perhaps we should have tried him in defence. The fact remains he's not a forwards' shoelace and Carlton haven't improved him in that area.
  • Many of those we've tried have been lower draft or rookie picks with limited talent so were unlikely ever to be stars of the game: Redpath, Collins, Panos (turned out he was a midfielder!), M Talia, Tom Hill, Markovic, Mulligan, etc.
  • The jury remains out on another late pick (#49) in Lewis Young. I'll be watching his 2019 season with interest.
  • Tom Williams had obvious talent and should have been a 200-gamer but his career was destroyed by injury. Redpath similar - could have played 100 games if his knees held out.
  • At the same time nobody's complaining that we did well with players like Hamling (a failure at Geelong), Marcus Adams (another player with more issues between the ears than with his body), or Aaron Naughton.
  • There have been thousands of posts written here about Tom Boyd. I've suspected for quite a while that GWS were happy to offload him in the Griffen pick#6 trade, having seen him at close quarters as a first year player. That's quite apart from any mental or physical problems that have emerged since. They probably saw that he was another of those U-18 monsters whose skills might not translate all that well to senior footy, especially his difficulty taking contested marks.
In short, where we've recruited obvious talent there have been few problems. Most of the others have been inappropriate high picks (like J Grant) or have been lower picks & rookies, so what can you expect? And we have a few modest successes with lower KPPs too.

One argument I'd consider is that over past years we haven't spent enough high draft picks on KPPs. The best of them in the comp are usually picked up in the top 20. I'd like to see us have a crack at a few more highly rated KPP prospects. It looks like paying off handsomely with Naughton, for instance.

Anyway that's my view. I'm happy to hear evidence to the contrary.

Its an interesting question. I suspected Dalrymple largely went high percentage mids after his horrible first yr. Eventually he took some punts with high picks on Street and Naughton. It may have been strategy or based on who was available but I suspect he was in job preservation mode after Howard, etc.

The problem we face is that we rarely if ever have attracted a proven KP ot star in their prime. Its hard to imagine we ever will.

So we simply must roll the dice on drafting KPs occasionally, certainly have to be careful and not Clayton profligate - you didnt mention Tim Walsh either...

Wallis on SEN, few interesting points (correct me if I misheard something)

- Sees himself as a midfielder this year (while still spending time forward)
- Big focus of the club's over the off season was goal kicking accuracy, both set shots and crumbing
- English added a lot of aggression to his game, especially how he's flying for the ball
- Hayes looking good on the wing
- West needs to clean up his disposal but if he can put it all together he'll feature early. Think he said something about being able to play out four quarters well

There may have been more but I'm not sure

Didn’t Wallis say (reported on here) in an interview he considered himself a midfielder first ???

I will try to find, but it’s a concern on both fronts...

Ok, found it. Would hope that someone has said to Wally he’s a forward first....

Its an interesting question. I suspected Dalrymple largely went high percentage mids after his horrible first yr. Eventually he took some punts with high picks on Street (? don't you mean English?) and Naughton. It may have been strategy or based on who was available but I suspect he was in job preservation mode after Howard, etc.

The problem we face is that we rarely if ever have attracted a proven KP ot star in their prime. Its hard to imagine we ever will.

So we simply must roll the dice on drafting KPs occasionally, certainly have to be careful and not Clayton profligate - you didnt mention Tim Walsh either...
Yeah I did think of Walsh but couldn't remember the details of his failure (injuries? lack of talent? lack of application? club at fault?) and also it was a long time ago. So I left him out. I figured if I was going back that far (2002) I could probably include Chris Grant and a few others as welll! 15 years is long enough for present purposes. The Roar said this about him:
Walsh did struggle with injury throughout his time at the kennel. It wasn’t the deepest of drafts, but key position players like Jay Schulz, Tom Lonergan, Jared Rivers and Daniel Merrett were all still available.

The question of whether we can attract established KPF talent is a separate issue but historically your point is true. We've had players like James Cook (a modest success), Allen Jakovich (a disaster), Jade Rawlings (another disaster), Tom Boyd (you decide) and Barry Hall (a great but short term success at the end of his career). Not only those, but there are others we've wooed and failed to get (Carlisle etc). I was also told by someone who claimed to be in the know that the Reid brothers (Ben & Sam) whose dad played under 100 games for us were strongly advised by family not to go to the Dogs because their careers would never go anywhere.

However times are changing. We have won a flag and some of our current players will go down as legends of the AFL. 22 of them already have a premiership medallion, making them the envy of about 95% of other players in the league. We are profitable, debt-free and managed and coached well so there's no longer any reason for the Whitten Oval to be painted as the graveyard of footy careers.

Yeah I did think of Walsh but couldn't remember the details of his failure (injuries? lack of talent? lack of application? club at fault?) and also it was a long time ago. So I left him out. I figured if I was going back that far (2002) I could probably include Chris Grant and a few others as welll! 15 years is long enough for present purposes. The Roar said this about him:

The question of whether we can attract established KPF talent is a separate issue but historically your point is true. We've had players like James Cook (a modest success), Allen Jakovich (a disaster), Jade Rawlings (another disaster), Tom Boyd (you decide) and Barry Hall (a great but short term success at the end of his career). Not only those, but there are others we've wooed and failed to get (Carlisle etc). I was also told by someone who claimed to be in the know that the Reid brothers (Ben & Sam) whose dad played under 100 games for us were strongly advised by family not to go to the Dogs because their careers would never go anywhere.

However times are changing. We have won a flag and some of our current players will go down as legends of the AFL. 22 of them already have a premiership medallion, making them the envy of about 95% of other players in the league. We are profitable, debt-free and managed and coached well so there's no longer any reason for the Whitten Oval to be painted as the graveyard of footy careers.

Our ex players are propping up plenty of other football clubs, Adams Brisbane, Liam Jones Carlton, Roughead Collingwood, Stringer Essendon, Hamling Freo, Dahlhaus Geelong, Lake, although retired got Hawthorn three Premierships, GWS Reid and Ward, Gold Coast Harbrow, Norf Higgins and Hrovat, we must be doing something right if these players are still forging careers and are sought after. Despite many of them leaving us early, we won a flag, many of those players will never see one.

Dickson with 3 at 3qtr time of the vfl praccy match. Schache with two.

Would have been awesome if the club publicised this as its at whitten oval.
Ahh, that explains the sirens I can hear.

Has anyone come up with a decent explanation of why Schache isn’t playing in the JLT? It seems a very odd decision on the face of it.

Ahh, that explains the sirens I can hear.

Has anyone come up with a decent explanation of why Schache isn’t playing in the JLT? It seems a very odd decision on the face of it.

I think maybe because they were expecting wet conditions in Mackay it wasn’t suitable for too many talls and they’d rather just English and Trengrove as the primary ruck/forwards

Dickson with 3 at 3qtr time of the vfl praccy match. Schache with two.

Would have been awesome if the club publicised this as its at whitten oval.
Who was that flog who kept yelling DIXON!!! evrey time Port's Dixon went near the ball. Could do a meme to use for Tori :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2019 preseason

Remove this Banner Ad

Back