2019 Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You’d have to start asking questions within the 4 walls down at the WFNC if your past captain doesn’t want to come back to play at the club he grew up at. The rumours have to be true

Have to ask questions anytime a former junior joins a different club in the same league let along the arch rival that’s for sure, Wahgunyah and Beechworth seem to be in free fall not good for the league

Wahgunyah may not be good now but they’ve got some good juniors and community is thriving, hopefully they can retain them. Beechworths in the same boat really. Young kids just aren’t interested in footy and pull the pin when things are too hard.

Chiltern big winners on the weekend puts them as a smoky, we won’t know more until they play some top teams.
I wouldn’t read too much into the other games, it was round 1 and conditions weren’t great anywhere.
Kiewa would have wanted a dry day, barny too for that matter.

Late on the tips
However
Top 5
Kiewa thurgoona barny Mitta tallangatta
Goals castles
Barton McNeil-incredible
Headline
Upper Murray and TDFL merger...
Watch this space!

What’s everyone’s thoughts on this upper Murray merger...
Say for instance if Beechworth got relegated there juniors would suffer because the upper Murray can’t field junior sides and sometime reserves...
They need to form a single team and fold the league other wise they are delaying the obvious it’s an embarrassment!
Also bullioh would beat Wodonga Saints wuhgunyuah and Beechworth easy

Looks like the wind was taken out of chilterns sails yesterday!!! Kiewa is making hard work of there wins while tallangatta are making the most of there chances!! And poor old Beechworth.... pretty sure there a better side then saints!

What’s everyone’s thoughts on this upper Murray merger...
Say for instance if Beechworth got relegated there juniors would suffer because the upper Murray can’t field junior sides and sometime reserves...
They need to form a single team and fold the league other wise they are delaying the obvious it’s an embarrassment!
Also bullioh would beat Wodonga Saints wuhgunyuah and Beechworth easy
If Corryong, Walwa, Federals and Cudgewa Merged it would give the juniors of the Upper Murray a pathway to continue playing footy. Most of the older kids would go to school at Corryong Secondary so Training should be logistically ok.
Bullioh are a strong club but realistically we need less clubs at the moment so I would personally love to see them merge with Saints.
This would mean 4 less teams pulling players out of Wodonga & District and ease an enormous amount of pressure.
There is always resistance to mergers but look at the amount of merged entities that have been successful -
Brock Burrum, Rand Walbundrie Walla (played in a Grand Final as Rand Walbundrie very early), Ganmain Grong Grong Matong.

Yep it's a no brainier! All 4 clubs in the upper Murray merge become one big strong club!! They need to put there egos aside. Tumba can go to farrer! Bullioh should merge with tallangatta.. oh no wait they did that. They can go alone and struggle for junior numbers and make it hard for neighboring clubs.

4 rounds into the season
• Chiltern has been the surprise packet
• Saints have improved and should look to pencil in 5/6 wins for the season
• The big two are still the standouts
Could this be another season where we see 2/3 forwards kicking 100 goals? Beechworth And Wahgunyah look to have no answers to stopping the big forwards and neither side has played Kiewa Thurgoona or Yack ( Castles) for that matter. Whispers that Wahgunyah are telling their supporters /members they will be merging with our mob at season’s end. Jumping the gun I would think

4 rounds into the season
• Chiltern has been the surprise packet
• Saints have improved and should look to pencil in 5/6 wins for the season
• The big two are still the standouts
Could this be another season where we see 2/3 forwards kicking 100 goals? Beechworth And Wahgunyah look to have no answers to stopping the big forwards and neither side has played Kiewa Thurgoona or Yack ( Castles) for that matter. Whispers that Wahgunyah are telling their supporters /members they will be merging with our mob at season’s end. Jumping the gun I would think
Looks like Castles and Whitehead will crack the ton, some of the other big forwards are getting a bit long in the tooth and might be past it...
I agree with a merger to, saints should merge with someone also, I hope the upper Murray is reading these merger posts because the results up there were pathetic...
Also my tips for rd 5
Barny by 35
Thurgoona by 200
Kiewa by 60
Dmb by 6
Rutherglen by 25
Chiltern by 180

Wahgunyah need to merge. Potentially with CDHBU & be called the CDHBUW Power Lions.
If bullioh are to come into the comp they should merge with saints and play out at Bethanga. Bullioh-bethanga saints
If they come in without a merger then it’ll only hurt tallangatta and players will bounce from one to another like Corowas cluster.
Yack & Beechworth merger makes perfect sense they can be the Bush Kangaroos

And just before we get people jumping up and down saying we don’t need a merger, we have juniors etc... just remember every club can always be stronger & will always benefit from more volunteers players support etc

Wahgunyah need to merge. Potentially with CDHBU & be called the CDHBUW Power Lions.
If bullioh are to come into the comp they should merge with saints and play out at Bethanga. Bullioh-bethanga saints
If they come in without a merger then it’ll only hurt tallangatta and players will bounce from one to another like Corowas cluster.
Yack & Beechworth merger makes perfect sense they can be the Bush Kangaroos

And just before we get people jumping up and down saying we don’t need a merger, we have juniors etc... just remember every club can always be stronger & will always benefit from more volunteers players support etc

I 100% agree with your comments and your merger suggestions.
Yack have strong Junior sides but a number of them actually come in from Wodonga anyway.
Qu

With less and less people playing it seems mergers will have to be the way to go. Some suggestions:
Rutherglen/Wahgunyah seems logical. 9km apart & in the same state.
Bullioh & Mitta - pretty close together.
Corryong, Federals, Tumbarumba - The Upper Murray Eagles
Cudgewa, Border/Walwa, Bethanga/Wodonga Saints - The CBBW Crows
Or Wodonga Saints could merge with Murray Magpies - good facilities there now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With less and less people playing it seems mergers will have to be the way to go. Some suggestions:

Bullioh and Mitta are at probably an hour away from each other.

A lot of merger talk going on, obviously something serious needs to happen.. my 2 cents worth lol already said before all umfl teams merge, bullioh to merge with tallangatta again, I know they want to go alone but unfortunately they'll struggle for juniors and make it harder for neighbouring clubs, Wahgungah/Rutherglen, wod saints/Murray magpies merge join hfl based at Urana rd or both fold (country footy for country towns) thurgoona/north albury in o&m.

Rutherglen wuhgunyah make sense,
Bullioh mitta it makes sense but it will never happen the logical way is bullioh saints or bullioh tallangatta,
corryong federals and tumba is no good send tumba to the farrer or fold,
not enough juniors in the upper for two sides in the tallangatta league so all merge to form the upper Murray giants or eagles...
Bullioh won’t merge so let them struggle on there own and be worse then the saints in 5 years,
And if all the others merge mitta will benefit because we know mitta will not merge

How many teams is the right amount for the TDFL?
I was say 10 but no more then 12 .
I hope at least something comes into fruition at seasons end.

Noticed someone’s point early with North Albury & Thurgoona, Is this a possibility? I personally can’t see it happening but I think it would be a pretty good move for North Albury purely location wise.

The bottom line is there is too many clubs and not enough players. If the AFL NEB want footy to be stronger they should at least look at this fact and force merger discussions.
Brock Burrum success
Ganmain Grong Grong Matong success
Rand Walbundrie Walla Success (Working well)
It makes sense.
Even Raiders and Wodonga Bulldogs battle to field seconds sides each week.

Bullioh to Eskdale is only 30 minutes
How fast do you drive?
Regardless, Mitta also plays at Mitta so a merger with Bullioh would not make sense geographically, not to mention having to split games between three locations.
I would like to see, at least before any mergers, attempting to change the whole region to 16 a side for all competitions. Tallangatta League has 12 sides, which using only senior and reserve footy would mean 48 less people to try and find to play footy per week. Including O&M in this is another 40 people. Adding in O&K and Hume, you're moving towards 200 less people to try and find each week, the equivalent of probably 4-5 teams. This is not to mention how much this would help with numbers in junior footy, and overall quality of the footy being more open.

How fast do you drive?
Regardless, Mitta also plays at Mitta so a merger with Bullioh would not make sense geographically, not to mention having to split games between three locations.
I would like to see, at least before any mergers, attempting to change the whole region to 16 a side for all competitions. Tallangatta League has 12 sides, which using only senior and reserve footy would mean 48 less people to try and find to play footy per week. Including O&M in this is another 40 people. Adding in O&K and Hume, you're moving towards 200 less people to try and find each week, the equivalent of probably 4-5 teams. This is not to mention how much this would help with numbers in junior footy, and overall quality of the footy being more open.
I used the maps app and it said 34 minutes so I rounded it down.
Rand Walbundrie Walla and Ganmain Grong Grong Matong use 3 grounds and it works. It means 3 communities are involved in the club.
I think your 16 a side idea has a lot of merit and would make for more free flowing football as well. Your point about needing less players each week is a very good one.

Tips this week
Thurgoona by 40
Yack by 80
Tallangatta by 60
Mitta by 100
Rutherglen by 70

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the interleague side will they bounce back

Tips this week
Thurgoona by 40
Yack by 80
Tallangatta by 60
Mitta by 100
Rutherglen by 70

What’s everyone’s thoughts on the interleague side will they bounce back
They won't bounce back with the squad they have to pick from. I'm 50 and I'd have more of a chance getting a kick.
Agree with your tips except swap thurgoona and ruthglens margins around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back