List Mgmt. 2020 Draft and Trade Hypotheticals - Part 2 (The 2020 Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'm not writing him off at all

Just saying the hype
Our list is young. I get it. Lots of hype. There are going to be busts. Some of our young recruits are not going to make it. We are building from the bottom up. If I recall you Punts want to trade in gun players. Sydney's list with Heeney(25), Hewett(26) the rest of our better players are younger.
There are lots of posters on this site(including you) that lament our lack of trading. I don't get it. We are drafting for the next 10 years and people want short term wins and trade in guns at high salary. We have two more years of Buddy Salary. I reckon we will be 50/50 drafting trading in the next 2 years.
In two more years
1. We have a list in contention
2. We have salary cap because Buddy is gone
3. most of our players are 27 or less
I think we are in the top 4 contending.
Then we will be trading because we are in contention.

Gray, L Taylor, Thurlow and Clarke (infamous four) were brought into the team as mature experienced players to provide depth. Sydney had a policy of going to the draft to rebuild the team.

Rebuilding through the draft solely is a trap and poor policy.

Trading for depth to play reserves.. going to be perpetually rebuilding.
They are different mixes of experienced and mature but being de-listed isn't a good indication of being depth and there's been plenty of experience around the club. Giving games to Thurlow and Menzel and then de-listing them isnt moving the group forward.

Gulden?
Warner was U 18 AA in 2019.
At present he's a mile ahead of Gulden.

Will Gould, Elijah Taylor (now delisted), Dylan Stephens were ALL in the 2019 u18 AA team. Chad Warner wasn’t and was taken by swans at pick 39 in 2019. His highlights package was however impressive.

Both Campbell and Gulden played in the u17 futures game and Campbell was bog and Gulden was second bog in the losing side. That performance is beyond anything Warner has achieved thus far. Sorry but it is.

Although Warner is a year ahead I definitely wouldn’t say Warner is miles ahead of either Campbell nor Gulden
(The latter of whom in my opinion has been subject of misguided evaluation of ability based upon his height variously misreported anywhere between 171 cm and 175cm. He is 176cm.....well 175.8 if you want to be precise). Quite the contrary.

Last edited:
An interesting read. Seems the Hawks put Campbell above Phillips in their assessments

So the Crows wanted pick three, a future first and Dylan Stephens to move up two spots in the draft.

Tell 'em they're dreaming, Kinnear. Thankfully, he did.

So the Crows wanted pick three, a future first and Dylan Stephens to move up two spots in the draft.

Wow, they really did want it all.
Crows wanted Stephens, a future first & pick #3
Norf wanted #3 and a future 2nd round pick.

Fair enough norf and crows wanting all of that.

Ambit claim anyway. They obviously didn't want to trade the picks in reality unless they got silly overs so may as well be up front about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If JUH was available at pick 1 (Dogs not able to match) then it would have been worth considering.

Almost as bad as the proposed Daniher deal lol

Grey , bell , Amerty will be delisted at end of 21. Probably Ling also imo

Taylor will play stuff all in final 2 years
I don't understand this mentality, I'm not even saying your wrong, those are some pretty good guesses, but why are we predicting who is going to be delisted?

Let them play the year, let's see how they play, and see if they can keep their AFL careers alive.

A bit presumptuous to write off a bloke when they have a year to play.

I seem to recall Gray and L Taylor playing more games early, then getting dropped later in the season (even with the injury toll). That was a combination of poor form, and the rise of a few youngsters. I think we (the club, not me) intended to have these closer to the 22, if not in it, than what turned out later in the season. Which was a worry, but hopefully won't have to worry about any more (McInerney and Stephens progress (sometimes playing around half forward), with Wicks showing some goods, Gulden coming in, Heeney being back etc).

Thurlow played a couple of good games, but obviously not enough. Clarke provides a ready-made mid/half back in case of injury/need for more mature bodies, though suspect we'd want to favour development of younger, potential guns. I'd make room in the 22 for him on occasion, if there was an explicit tagging role to be done, with the team better off with Cunningham and Hewett doing other things.

Gray is not in front of anyone. Gray, L Taylor, Thurlow and Clarke (infamous four) were brought into the team as mature experienced players to provide depth. Sydney had a policy of going to the draft to rebuild the team. These guys were brought in to provide experience if injuries occurred. If you look at 2020 none of these players were locks in our best 22.

Didn't realise they'd sub-contracted Dodoro.

Certainly true of the media and general vibe of this year. I think I've brought it up a few times, but up until late last year, Gulden was the one projected to be higher, Campbell 2nd round at best. While Campbell's hype has risen (justified), Gulden hasn't really put a foot wrong, if anything has shown more - so I'm hoping he'll surprise a lot. Certainly a big difference between these two and say Hiscox (the elite runner referred to earlier), B Jack (who were later/rookie picks and weren't really hyped up by the wider AFL community). PS. I know there weren't many places between Hiscox and Gulden, but Gulden slid and Hiscox went earlier than he probably should have.

I don't think there is a whole lot of hype around Gulden, certainly much less than there is for Campbell.

I really hope there is a time in the next couple of years that Parker can play exclusively as a Half Forward. He would be fantastic in that position. Basically Toby Greene without the BS.

And real toughness instead of faux toughness

An interesting read. Seems the Hawks put Campbell above Phillips in their assessments

One of the best articles I've read on afl.com, provided intriguing insights that's often lacking in most articles. Then again, Twomey has a breadth of experience and knowledge in the area, so always delivers the goods.

This part had me like WOW

"The Swans' biggest concern about North's possible pick swap with Hawthorn was the Hawks moving up the board and bidding on Academy prospect Braeden Campbell and then wiping out Sydney's first pick."

This would have been an absolute disaster! Luckily North were asking a bit much, otherwise we would have been royally screwed.

Our drafting went as smoothly as it possibly could in hindsight. Plus we screwed the team that would have screwed us. Gotta be happy with that outcome!! Plus it was the hawks. Glorious!

Last edited:
Just on Warner, I think he is more of a project player than people realise. I'm not writing him off at all, but he doesn't have a single standout attribute as a player. Most of the talk around him has been about his hardness at the contest, but he's not exactly unique there either - JPK, Parker, Heeney, Hewett, Rowbottom, Mills etc are all uncompromising hard nuts.

His highlights reel from his U18s year was literally just tackles and handballs, which suggests he's the big-bodied bull who can win it in the contest, but that's about it. He needs to add more strings to his bow if he wants to offer anything beyond what the rest are offering, and I'd bet both the coaching staff and Chad himself are aware of this. From what I saw of him in the reserves outings, he spent a bit more time on the outside than I was expecting, trying to run and create as opposed to just extract and accumulate. He's by no means a natural at this, as he's not overly quick or agile and could maybe do with shedding a few kgs, but he was involved in some quality run and carry and classy plays on the outside that suggest it's not beyond his reach.

I suspect this would be necessary for him to develop so that he can be an asset beyond just in contested situations. Maybe the club even knew this, and thought the fact he's tough and strong and seems to be a good kid with a good attitude would be a good enough base to develop him from.

But if I was a betting man, I'd think Gulden, who already has different strings to his bow, would be able to offer more (at this point.)

Just on Warner, I think he is more of a project player than people realise. I'm not writing him off at all, but he doesn't have a single standout attribute as a player. Most of the talk around him has been about his hardness at the contest, but he's not exactly unique there either - JPK, Parker, Heeney, Hewett, Rowbottom, Mills etc are all uncompromising hard nuts.

His highlights reel from his U18s year was literally just tackles and handballs, which suggests he's the big-bodied bull who can win it in the contest, but that's about it. He needs to add more strings to his bow if he wants to offer anything beyond what the rest are offering, and I'd bet both the coaching staff and Chad himself are aware of this. From what I saw of him in the reserves outings, he spent a bit more time on the outside than I was expecting, trying to run and create as opposed to just extract and accumulate. He's by no means a natural at this, as he's not overly quick or agile and could maybe do with shedding a few kgs, but he was involved in some quality run and carry and classy plays on the outside that suggest it's not beyond his reach.

I suspect this would be necessary for him to develop so that he can be an asset beyond just in contested situations. Maybe the club even knew this, and thought the fact he's tough and strong and seems to be a good kid with a good attitude would be a good enough base to develop him from.

But if I was a betting man, I'd think Gulden, who already has different strings to his bow, would be able to offer more (at this point.)

Agree Caesar88 but not to understate his abilities. Skills can be refined but generally you either have toughness or you don’t. This kid does in spades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back