Play Nice 2020 Pre-Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Cox has great vision and more than reasonable skills (yes his goal kicking is a bit dicey). Go back to one of his very earliest games (Rd 14 2017) against Geelong at Kardinya. I remember a kick from the wing into the corridor lace out to Ballantyne. Shortly after a sweeping handball to Weller on the wing which should have led to the game winning shot at goal from Son Son.

See the corridor kick at 5:36 on this highlights clip:

Thing of beauty.

Was thinking the same thing. That kick is what got him many more games. He’s laconic, carefree not intense in the slightest which I think when he’s thinking too much impacts his game. When he’s relaxed his vision and kicking is amazing for a bloke his size. Unfortunately today’s footy field isn’t a stress free environment, Ross Lyon ain’t a stress free coach. Him and Cam ain’t the type to flourish under Lyon. Two years under longmuir I reckon they’re both gonna be players.

He only had 31 of them so not that impressive really. The eye test suggests he isn't a "very good kick" but shouldn't create too many howlers.
Fair enough. Have a look at this article comparing Cox to Curnow. Interesting stuff. I just think people have forgotten what he's like injury free.

He only had 31 of them so not that impressive really. The eye test suggests he isn't a "very good kick" but shouldn't create too many howlers.
Not to mention the fact that DE is a useless, misleading stat

From watching Cox kick the ball where he did not intend it to go and the opposition collecting it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If I had a dollar for every time I saw a Freo player do that last season I’d be sitting on my yacht right now. We collectively had the worst kicking efficiency in the AFL. If turning the ball over was a skill we’d have more ‘elite’ players than any other team. Cox is far from our worst offender, especially when compared to our other available key back options. Did you see Duman lose us the Saints game last year? Logue isn’t exactly the most consistent kick either.

Give him a role in defence and he might actually thrive considering he was drafted as an AA CHB and Longmuir has stated he wants to utilise the strengths that got players drafted.
I am just going to wait and see on that. I certainly don’t interpret it as meaning players will play in the position they played as juniors as some seem to want. Hill is an excellent player in the backline using the same skills that got him drafted as a winger. No point limiting where he will play, and the same goes for half a dozen key players for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He played the scratchie on Friday, he usually has one light session a week.

It’s about time they started looking after players that have had troublesome injuries.

He looks primed for start of season to me.
just worried he may have a niggle since only Hill and Darcy seem to be jogging laps from the players who played last Fri

Hill always wears other numbers at training. I’m guessing it might be a superstition with him.
He did indeed play off half back as a junior. He was superb in his last game at the Cardinals in 2008 when they narrowly lost a final. His desperate efforts & will to win sold me on him as a draft prospect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice 2020 Pre-Season Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Back