News 2020 Retirements and Delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Considering what they gave up for Pittard I'm very surprised to see them delist him. But good on them for realising it wasn't working for them.

Mason Wood and Majak Daw would surely get a run somewhere else.

I don’t think any of those North guys would get a run elsewhere.

Best case scenario will be a late Rookie pick you think.

Daw is 30 before the season even starts and has spent 10 seasons in the league for 54 games. It’s over...

Didnt expect that from the Roos
Jacobs, Daw, MacMillan, Pittard and Marley Williams (and maybe even Mason Wood) could all get contracts elsewhere next year.

Durdin, Wood, Crocker, Hosie seem like regulation delistings. Wood's been done for a while. Durdin never up to it. Crock didn't have a lot of luck. Hosie looked a fair way off.

And Jacobs really should retire, sadly.

Maj is an interesting one given his unique case. He really hasn't had a chance to make it all the way back, but will he? And what was he before.

Ahern is somewhat similar, so many injuries and never getting to see the best of him. If you had spare list spots he's the kind of project you just keep persevering with.

Macmillan, Pittard, Williams and Murphy is a big chunk of backline just stripped out in one go. It's interesting to get rid of the first 3 who aren't reliable ball users, then cut Murphy who can kick and hasn't had a good run of games. Then bring in Corr who has more height and speed but is hardly a good user - has a nice long kick. I'm not sure you lose all that much but getting rid of all of them at once before you even see the results of trades, drafts, free agency etc is a big cut.

Maybe Corr, Vickers-Willis and Atley are enough to cop the hidings that might be coming over the next year or so because it's easy enough to plug you back flankers in and get them games but you don't want kids having 5 kicked on them and suffering big losses.

When last playing regularly at league level he was a defender, and I doubt Essendon are in the market for another 30+ year old key defender.

Up forward it would be a step backwards from Shaun McKernan, which is saying something in itself.

I was thinking in the Ruck, given Bellchambers retiring. Unless they plan to go after someone else.

The North stuff is just weird and highlights even more why I thought them giving away early picks to Demons last year, when they needed them for their own future was out of touch with their reality.

I'm surprised they didn't try to trade some of these guys.

Some of them have been low on form/injury issues and what not, but they are still good players and I think other teams could take them in. 2 years ago Jacobs was touted as the best tagger in the AFL. MacMillain was a good defender. Pittard is not a bad player. Daw is a good player too. Even someone like Mason Wood... a team desperate for a forward would probably take him.

Jacobs wasn't delisted because we wanted to.

He has barely trained in 3 years, let alone played a match. He has had some shocking concussion related stuff from one incident. Talk from the club has been prioritising his welfare in being able to do day to day things without discomfort.

He's absolutely finished from football.

The North stuff is just weird and highlights even more why I thought them giving away early picks to Demons last year, when they needed them for their own future was out of touch with their reality.

We recieved their early pick back this year and then some.

Flynn Perez was one of them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

North hang onto players for way too long. Atley has played 213 utterly unmemorable games and is only now on thin ice. Guys like Macmillan are really easy to find and I think a lot of clubs would be backing in their recruiters to find someone younger with more potential.

Pittard overrates his kicking skills a lot and has been really bad this year. He's also sneakily old at 29 years of age. Hasn't played since round 11.

Williams is an interesting call. I've seen him have a few good games before but he's clearly not part of the plans. One saving grace for some of them may be COVID, as teams may not have that much info on draftees who aren't playing as much and reduced off-field departments may mean teams go with known quantities. But none of these guys are good and I suspect North know these players are either a) too old to feature in North's next flag or b) yonug and crap.

I think it's a good move as it sends a message to North that they've realised where they're at and that they've overrated their list massively.

Some of them have been low on form/injury issues and what not, but they are still good players and I think other teams could take them in. 2 years ago Jacobs was touted as the best tagger in the AFL. MacMillain was a good defender. Pittard is not a bad player. Daw is a good player too. Even someone like Mason Wood... a team desperate for a forward would probably take him.

I should clarify I'm not spruiking Mason Wood. But I do believe teams would see a player like that as someone they can use. His kicking is his downside. He can mark and has some speed. Again... surprised North didn't try to trade some of these guys for more draft picks.
Mason Wood’s situation is not unlike Liam Jones when he was at the Bulldogs. Pigeon-holed as a forward without any imaginative alternatives considered when his form declines. I wonder if some left field thinking and brave recruiting could re-invent Wood as a very useful defender like the Blues have done with Jones?

Mason Wood’s situation is not unlike Liam Jones when he was at the Bulldogs. Pigeon-holed as a forward without any imaginative alternatives considered when his form declines. I wonder if some left field thinking and brave recruiting could re-invent Wood as a very useful defender like the Blues have done with Jones?

We did reinvent him as a defender.

He spent the whole of this preseason training as one and playing as one.

I watched the first few practice matches of the season of him as a defender, lets just let it right there and the less said the better...

Daw's been a waste of time for years, don't let emotion get in the way.

pretty amazing to see them actually finally give the arse to Mason Wood, Paul Ahern who were all potential... even at age 27.

Marley Williams, Jamie McMillan, Jasper Pittard were all pretty much shit campaigners who could very well have been delisted after 40 games let alone a hundred.

North also tried this in the offseason but he couldnt make a fist of it. He just isnt an aggressive footballer at all. His best position is probably on the wing really

North hang onto players for way too long. Atley has played 213 utterly unmemorable games and is only now on thin ice. Guys like Macmillan are really easy to find and I think a lot of clubs would be backing in their recruiters to find someone younger with more potential.

Purely coincidental that it’s your team but it reminds me of Richmond in the 90s and 00s - guys that end up having 10 year + careers at a club that regularly sits in the 9th-13th space and transition from ‘good honest youngster’ to ‘should be better by now’ to ‘list clogger’.

We recieved their early pick back this year and then some.

Flynn Perez was one of them.
Perez is not part of picks you got from Demons.
You got pick 26 and 50 from Melbourne and did not even use the pick 50.... So Charlie Combden plus whomever you grab this draft with pick later in first round has to be used better than having Caleb Serong in your system already as he essentially was pick number you gave up last draft. The clean out now shows you should have held onto such a pick last season in that draft to start to add to elite youth you needed badly. Madness in my eyes in terms of list management to give it up when you did.

I should clarify I'm not spruiking Mason Wood. But I do believe teams would see a player like that as someone they can use. His kicking is his downside. He can mark and has some speed. Again... surprised North didn't try to trade some of these guys for more draft picks.

Jamie McMillan has Hawthorn all over IMO.

Perez is not part of picks you got from Demons.
You got pick 26 and 50 from Melbourne and did not even use the pick 50.... So Charlie Combden plus whomever you grab this draft with pick later in first round has to be used better than having Caleb Serong in your system already as he essentially was pick number you gave up last draft. The clean out now shows you should have held onto such a pick last season in that draft to start to add to elite youth you needed badly. Madness in my eyes in terms of list management to give it up when you did.

You are wrong.

We made multiple trades around those picks and we did use #50. Comben wasn't selected with Melbournes pick at all. We leveraged #50 it into Essendon's 2020 R2 pick.

You simply have to look at what we started with to what we currently have an finished with

yeah we've never seen that at Collingwood...
capi_3ad1103c95ac1c8b226cf04b9ec6c7e0_f433e5a78ef20197dad2a282ede59eb3.jpeg

1 out of 3 ain't bad I suppose
Every time you see all 3 pictured together, you just gotta think... milkman

Remove this Banner Ad

News 2020 Retirements and Delistings

Remove this Banner Ad

Back