Draft Review 2020 - Revisit the 2020 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Happy for our haul to be labelled as having a ridiculous cost in that it essentially took a future first and the likes of Treloar and Stephenson...

However, our draft next year is currently looking fairly similar to the Bulldogs' last night. A pick very early and then nothing until maybe 50+.

As good as Daicos is said to be, he can hardly set ourselves up for the future with that. That's why I think we've essentially backed in our early talent ID and we've taken 2 year's worth of first and seconds in one hit.
Exactly. It was go hard at this draft and then get Daicos and maybe Dib next year, or take a few selections this year and still be out of the bulk of next years draft regardless.

It's infiltrated bigfooty the woke society we live in now...
Any opinion or debate against the norm will offend some touchy modern age male feminist,
that will use their new found social celebrity to attack any opinions that aren't theirs to highlight their negative cause...

Remember their are no winners or losers of the draft and all clubs deserve a participation award..

Winners - All participants :whistle:

Smashed it - Sydney, Collingwood, Giants & North
Excellent - Carlton, Bulldogs, Fremantle, Eagles, Port, Hawks, Melbourne & Saints
Weird - Adelaide & Essendon
Meh - Brisbane, Richmond, Geelong & Suns
Essendon need talls.

Essendon took talls.

Not sure how it's weird. We'll have a top 5 pick in a draft with supposedly better quality mids next year.

Essendon need talls.

Essendon took talls.

Not sure how it's weird. We'll have a top 5 pick in a draft with supposedly better quality mids next year.
I think it's weird that you didn't take any mid's that you desperately need also.
As long as Essendon is happy and it's ok with Mrs Perkins, all is good :thumbsupv1:

I think it's weird that you didn't take any mid's that you desperately need also.
As long as Essendon is happy and it's ok with Mrs Perkins, all is good :thumbsupv1:
Dodoro has spoken about how he was taught to build a list before. He learned from Sheedy - get the spine right first (because they take longer to develop).

So aside from the fact that we need talls, and we are not likely to have a pick in the frame for projected tall talent next year (midfielders draft), what this generally indicates is that whether or not the club wants to admit it publicly, the list manager has decided it’s time for a rebuild.

Also we have a former KPD as a senior coach, so I can’t see him complaining.

Next years draft is for mids.

We desperately needed both, covered one half last night. It'll be weird if we don't take mids next year.

And Murphy worked out for Carlton when he refused to go interstate. Shouldn't hold Perkins back to much.

Essendon need talls.

Essendon took talls.

Even our draft wasn't. We got smashed on the inside, we prioritised inside players.

As much as I hate to say it, I think Essendon nailed the draft.

With Hately coming in and Parish, Langford and McGrath having heaps of scope for improvement, I think going big, mobile and skilled players was spot on.

Added to that, next year should be a ripper draft for mids, and with mids usually developing quicker than keys, getting the big guys first makes sense.
Hately?

I'm curious to know how Adelaide are rating their haul?

Happy with Thilthorpe?

Pedlar seemed like a huge reach when Bruhn, Chapman etc. were still on the board, although they very well could've done a Perkins in their interviews. Rowe surprised me a little bit too.

I guess my question is are you satisfied you got the best players for your side, or was it too heavily weighted to taking players out of SA?

I'm comfortable with all of our picks. It ended up being a needs draft for us, seeing key forward and inside midfielders were our big problem areas on the depth chart.

Thilthorpe could end up the best player in this draft if he works shit out (seeing a 200 cm, potentially good contested mark, potentially athletic etc key forward is damn rare), though I don't particularly like the durability issues that surfaced. We were rumoured to have our eyes on Pedlar for a while, and he seems to be a good fit for what Nicks wants to build (and our noted issues on the inside), at least outside looking in, ditto Berry. Cook was a good 3rd choice and Rowe was odd, though at least there is a decent enough of a body work to indicate that he's earned his shot (as well as Newchurch to add a bit more to our small forward stocks).

Peoples you don't need to justify Essendon's draft choices to me,
if you're happy with the choices that's all that matters :thumbsupv1:

Personally I would have taken a mid at Perkins pick but that's just me..
Cox and Reid are great choices, along with your NGA's that you were committed to.
You made a comment on a forum, it’s reasonable to expect that you were interested in a response. But if you don’t want one feel free to scroll past.

Very happy with hawks haul, i personally think dgb has the potential to be the best out of this whole draft and fills a positional need . Getting a pick in before downie was a win and it was good to get a couple players with high upside and some speed . One deal that has been forgotten in the media is swapping 2 mid 40s pick where we wpuld have only used 1 and picking up collingwoods 2nd rounder next year.

As much as I hate to say it, I think Essendon nailed the draft.

With Hately coming in and Parish, Langford and McGrath having heaps of scope for improvement, I think going big, mobile and skilled players was spot on.

Added to that, next year should be a ripper draft for mids, and with mids usually developing quicker than keys, getting the big guys first makes sense.
i thought crows got hately :think:

All good, I just found it weird that you never took a mid when your list needs one.
Cox and Reid are going to be beauties..

If Dodoro has a list management plan to get mids next year then that's good.

Hope you're not putting all your eggs in the Dunkley basket. Once missing out after publically announcing it, history
would show the player seldomly gives you another opportunity.
I doubt it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IMO:

Adelaide: Killed it. Pedlar was a bit of a reach but replaces Crouch like-for-like and will at worst project to be a solid AFL footballer ala Jack Viney. Thilthorpe was a considered choice and liked the Cook pick. Hately is a gift in the PSD (A+)

Brisbane: Nothing to write home about. Early bid on Coleman had them on the back foot, but they weren't investing heavily in this pool (C)

Carlton: Durdin was a minor reach, Carroll looks decent value. Also didn't have many assets, but picked reasonably well (B)

Collingwood: Great draft. Sat back and waited on any sliders, and ended up bringing in a bunch of good footballers in a number of different areas. No idea why Macrae slipped so far with his footy IQ, but they'll be stoked with their picks (A+)

Essendon: The key position picks were smart, and will set them up well as they rebuild. Thought they should have favoured Bruhn over Perkins, but pretty reasonable haul. (A)

Fremantle: Good value picks. I'm not as high on Chapman as some, but they favour WA players and he's a solid first choice. Academy players came late, which was a nice added bonus (B+)

Geelong: Went early on a number of raw prospects. Not overly convincing, but they need to develop another ruckman and Neale fits (C)

Gold Coast: Huge head start with the free academy players, but also brought in another gun in Hollands (A)

GWS: Bruhn is a good get, Stone/Angwin are hard working players but probably went a bit too early. Redeemed themselves with the Collingwood trade and will likely get an early pick next year. Wehr was a nice get too (B+)

Hawthorn: Probably disappointed McDonald didn't end up slipping through, but DGB looks a very good prospect. All other picks were sound (B)

Melbourne: Took players in obvious areas of need and have plenty of upside. Decent draft (B+)

North Melbourne: Really targeted powerful inside mids, and got a nice bonus with Ford in the 50's. Nice straight forward picks, and will have a really powerful midfield in the coming years (A)

Port Adelaide: Got Jones in the expected range, otherwise had little involvement (C)

Richmond: The trade out could be very good for them, and brought in a couple of decent prospects (B)

St Kilda: Also didn't have many picks, but Highmore was a nice selection (B)

Sydney: Incredible draft, which was always going to be the case with Campbell. Got a lateish bid on Gulden and I like Curruthers (A)

West Coast: Winder was a decent pick. Understated draft (C)

Western Bulldogs: Were always going to have a good draft with JUH on the board. Capped off a really nice trade period (A)

Alright genius, if I asked you pre-draft who you were going to take with your second pick, and gave you an opportunity to name 20 names, do you think you'd honestly name him? I don't think too many on BigFooty would.
Ill vouch for mutineer as he flagged pedlar early as one to watch. Ogilvie was hoping because of his lack of exposure he would fly under the radar but other clubs were keen inside the 1st round apparently

Winners
Sydney, Gold Coast and Bulldogs obviously big winners, but that's a given with the NGAs at their disposal.
I thought Collingwood and Essendon in particular did the best of the rest. I liked all of their selections. Essendon are set for KPPs and Collingwood's midfield is stocked. Collingwood probably should have used their 2021 pick to trade up to one of Essendon's selections for one of Reid or Cox, but I guess they went the midfield route.
North, Hawthorn and Adelaide also did well with their selections. North set their midfield and Hawthorn their backline.
Carlton probably the best value pick with Carrol sliding. I liked North's Ford selection as well.

Losers
GWS the biggest losers. Should have traded up to one of Essendon's picks to select one of Reid and Cox. They've gained a future first which is great, but the top end is full of midfielders. Do they really need anymore mids?
Not sure about Geelong's strategy of trading out their 2021 first either. Seems unnecessary.
I think St Kilda could have selected better at their pick given there were a lot of quality players on the board at that point, but they already had an excellent trade period.

We'll obviously know more in a couple of years, but I don't think anyone did particularly horrible. Even GWS had a decent draft.
All good, I just found it weird that you never took a mid when your list needs one.
Cox and Reid are going to be beauties..

If Dodoro has a list management plan to get mids next year then that's good.

Hope you're not putting all your eggs in the Dunkley basket. Once missing out after publically announcing it, history
would show the player seldomly gives you another opportunity.
Have a look at the top 20 prospects next year. Full of mids. This year was the draft for talls. Touted to be a very strong draft for mids. We should have most of our glaring holes filled this time next year with our expected focus on midfielders.

The Pies smashed it - but this is Buck's last chance saloon in a contract year. Needed some young talent immediately to replace Steph and Treloar.

Bombers have some big blokes who should fill their spine for the next decade.

Swans did really well too IMO to get ready for life post-Buddy and Kennedy

I would dispute that. Compare to the Tigers next year and they are similar picks, ask yourself what they gave up and what the Tigers gave up. Not even considering the difference in quality of the 2 drafts.
think he acknowledged that with the "debacle" quote.... was more focused on the actual picks. If you can land the same talent next year with similar picks, you'd be doing v well... Hine didnt put a foot wrong most of the night, though passing on Cook could be the only blemish...

Last edited:
The Pies smashed it - but this is Buck's last chance saloon in a contract year. Needed some young talent immediately to replace Steph and Treloar.

Bombers have some big blokes who should fill their spine for the next decade.

Swans did really well too IMO to get ready for life post-Buddy and Kennedy
Bombers should be v happy imo... two gun talls who could be anything. Held their nerve and didnt trade away picks, or pass on one of the two talls. Perkins guaranteed to make it... jack Steele clone?

Fremantle: Good value picks. I'm not as high on Chapman as some, but they favour WA players and he's a solid first choice. Academy players came late, which was a nice added bonus (B+)

Since when? This is the first time since 2006 we've had an all Sandgroper draft, and we're constantly getting shit in the media (Sumich a few days ago for instance) for grabbing too many young Victorians (Cerra, Brayshaw, Young, Serong, etc.) and passing on West Australians (Naughton, Robertson, etc.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Review 2020 - Revisit the 2020 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back