Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Harks I will pull you up again, and repeat

NOT ONCE have I suggested Doc plays as a fulltime mid

As for the rest of your post, tell me, was SPS training with the back 6 last year?, Levi?

Please tell me where Newnes will play this year, given he has spent training in all areas?

Last time, never said Doc should be a fulltime mid

Not once have I suggested you did say that Docherty should be a full-time mid, but that's part of the thing.
If you don't train as a mid, how are you suddenly going to become one? Maybe Docherty can but again - What would the benefit be in him doing so?

SPS - We all know that with an abundance of mids, that some were going to take up new roles.
This is obvious and as the case for Dow and Fisher playing in unfamiliar territory when Boltons ideas blew up in his face.
Midfielder Stocker was also playing in the back-line in the VFL and his AFL games, because we had enough mids doing their job.....and now we have Setterfield fit, Walsh, Dow, Fisher etc a year older, stronger and wiser...so why exactly would we even be discussing Docherty playing midfield?

Casboult - I told you the year before last that he could play in the backline given what I saw in VFL matches and given the 'necessity' it made sense last year.

Thanks to the track watchers today. Seems Russell has the boys managing their workloads, which is very pleasing

Could be the healthiest our list has been in more than 5 years

Hoping we've reached a stage where people don't panic when they hear that someone was just jogging laps ;)

Seemed to be a lot of it early in the preseason - the assumption that if a player wasn't in the main drills they must be on their deathbed.

Great to see him picking Eddie's brains and "adding more strings to his bow" trying to learn that "forward craft".

Big year ahead IMO.

Another one who lists Setterfield as the one who impressed most this pre-season. :)

Kennedy was the one that I kept noticing though. Played mostly forward and worked hard to be a target against bigger bodies. Kept his feet, great balance and really good hands in slippery / windy conditions.

This piqued my interest.

With Charlie out until the back half, do we think we'll see Kennedy make his way into the forward line ahead of Jack? Not sure we'd want to play all of Levi, Harry, Mitch, Matty and Jack up forward with the likes of a DC, ZF, etc having to make way.

Something like:

HF: Martin, Casboult, McGovern
FF: Betts, McKay, Kennedy
Fisher & Cuningham on the bench as mid/fwd rotations

**** it's gonna be tough for the MC to pick a side come round 1! There will be players deemed unlucky to miss out on selection as one of the 4 emergencies!...

This piqued my interest.

With Charlie out until the back half, do we think we'll see Kennedy make his way into the forward line ahead of Jack? Not sure we'd want to play all of Levi, Harry, Mitch, Matty and Jack up forward with the likes of a DC, ZF, etc having to make way.

Something like:

**** it's gonna be tough for the MC to pick a side come round 1! There will be players deemed unlucky to miss out on selection as one of the 4 emergencies!...

On paper yes, but in all likelihood it probably wont be that hard after 3 practice matches - pick based on form/fitness - some players will put their hand up, others wont.

Without wanting to labour a point already discussed (or start another argument) here is our probable back six as of round 1:

Docherty Jones Plowman

SPS Weitering Newman/Willow/Simpson

The question becomes, who is Caleb pushing out, and/or why are we playing an extra in defense (say, off the wing) to fit him in? Caleb can't come in for Jones; he's not a better player, although that position (second tall, intercept) would be one to which he is suited; can't do what Weitering does (lock down and intercept; he's not good enough 1v1 for that) and he can't do what Plow does (catchall lockdown defense). Either SPS or Doc move to the middle to create space (which is something that could happen, certainly, but at what point are we losing more than we're getting in/becoming too vulnerable to smalls forwards?) and then you've got to argue your way out of Newman, Williamson and Simpson playing back.

I like Caleb, and I really want him to get a decent run at it this time, but he's not best 22 at the moment, and that's okay.
How they training ?

Not once have I suggested you did say that Docherty should be a full-time mid, but that's part of the thing.
If you don't train as a mid, how are you suddenly going to become one? Maybe Docherty can but again - What would the benefit be in him doing so?

SPS - We all know that with an abundance of mids, that some were going to take up new roles.
This is obvious and as the case for Dow and Fisher playing in unfamiliar territory when Boltons ideas blew up in his face.
Midfielder Stocker was also playing in the back-line in the VFL and his AFL games, because we had enough mids doing their job.....and now we have Setterfield fit, Walsh, Dow, Fisher etc a year older, stronger and wiser...so why exactly would we even be discussing Docherty playing midfield?

Casboult - I told you the year before last that he could play in the backline given what I saw in VFL matches and given the 'necessity' it made sense last year.

Harks you are debating a situation that was never indicated

Not sure how many times I have to post it, maybe this might help. Not suggesting Doc take centre bounces, round the ground stoppages, all I suggested was I can see a time, once Doc gains some in game touch that he will play in front of the back 6/7th defender

If you think a player has to train with a certain group, to be able to play a certain area, then you have no real understanding of the game. Case in point, when SPS to the backline, did someone need to hold his hand, given he did no training with the back 6 last year?

Never once did I see you mention that Levi was training with the back 6 last preseason, although we all know he spent time there in the VFL, which was limited. Clever man Levi that he picked it up so well, so quickly

So enough with the why should we play Doc in the middle, it was never implied nor suggested by me

Unless he kicked across his body-- said same thing last July some didn't agree --after the season truth of his injury came out.. if he gets over his groin issue he will get back to the 65-70% bracket
More goals like that last one against the Saints will do.

This piqued my interest.

Something like:

It might be workable, but gut feel is no.

McKay plays if fit, no doubt at all.
I've got Levi in for sure as well - flexibility, durability, and his performances have been much improved. Anchors the forward line really well.
Hard to see McGovern being overlooked if he's worked as hard as it looks during the off-season, but he'll need to perform to hold his spot I think.

Then Betts is an absolute lock.
Cunners is flying and could be a massive weapon if he stays fit.
Martin certainly starts on the HFF - like Gov he just needs to perform well and hold his spot.

There's my starting six. Challenge is then to work out how guys like Silvagni, Fisher, Kennedy, Gibbons, Newnes, Lang etc. fit into the forward rotation, and what they add elsewhere. I'm pretty comfortable saying I'd have Silvagni, Fisher, Gibbons and Newnes as likely bench options who cover a few roles.

I've got a feeling Kennedy may be the natural understudy to either/both Gov and JSOS, maybe even Martin? Can plonk him as the deepest forward and he's more than capable of outmarking a third tall, but he's also versatile enough to do a bit of crumbing, forward stoppage work and push into the middle at times as well. Actually, when you think about it, he could genuinely be the next in line to replace any one of my personal preferred six players...with some minor restructuring around it.

Great that he's impressing, and I hope he gets his opportunity (provided it's not due to a serious injury to someone else), but I've got him on the fringe as it stands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not sure why people saying we can't play Plowman, Marchbank, Weitering and Jones all in the same backline...

Hawthorns premiership backline from 2013-2015 consisted of Gibson, Lake, Birchall and Stratton... all 190cm+

Not saying we can't - saying that under Teague with a more aggressive approach to the game, we may not.

Hawthorn played patient footy. I'm not sure that's us in 2020.

An observation on Marchbank;

The boys not in the main drills did a couple of things off to the side which were good to watch. The first (Plow, Marchy & SPS) involved the 1st giving a handball to the 2nd, while the 3rd gave the 2nd a decent clip on the arms or shoulders (or head) with a padded 'bat'. Pretty funny when the 'clipped' became the 'clipper'.

The second was standing in a line (Plow, Marchy, SPS, Martin & Fish) with a ball coming in from short range at a good speed and they were trying to take it one hand.

Nothing against Caleb, but a majority of the balls that hit the deck (and there weren't many) were last touched by him. Perhaps touch and confidence aren't quite there yet?

B1.jpg B2.jpg

Is it?

Gibbons was overlooked in what 5 drafts? Newman was a mature aged Rookie who managed 31 games across 4 years in Sydney - I would have thought it would be expected they are underrated by now. ;)

Just out of curiosity, how many drafts was it that Tim Kelly was looked over for? Asking for a friend

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back