Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't find the link to the article "Macca43 eyes Super model" just because you want something doesn't mean you could (or should get it).

It should also be remembered that since this article we have recruited, Dow, O'Brien, Walsh, Stocker, Kemp, Philp, Kennedy & Martin - that was then, this is now.

Well, it certainly read like hyperbolic opinion, so I'm glad we cleared that up.

I can sympathise, there are always players we form an opinion on while watching and it usually sticks through the good and bad, and no doubt we've all (myself included) done it. I don't think tarnishing Newy off the back of a handful of poor games is particularly fair though, nor does it lead to balanced comparisons between players.

Newman is very good by foot, most days. He has the odd shocker (Rd 11 vs. Essendon was the one for me), but that's not unusual for those typically solid role player types - that's why they're not in the elite category.

The stat that stands out for me with Newman, as far as the difference between him and Marchbank in the backline, is metres gained. He was 15th in the entire comp, and the next Blues on the list were Simmo, Murph and Daisy. He is a player that provides significant drive off half back. Marchbank gains about half as much ground, on average, per game.

My line of thought it that if Weitering, Jones/Casboult, Plowman and Doc can handle most of the defensive/intercept work, then the side benefits more from a more offensive player than Marchbank, who is more suited to playing a loose intercept role (which I'd expect Doc to do more of). It's not about which is a better player, it's about which player's skillset/style provides more value to the collective.

Newman is inconsistent, and less reliable than other backline choices.
There's a reason that he, as a senior player who played 20 games last year, did not finish in the top 10 in our B&F

I don't think it's worth taking one of the latter group out of the side for a tall intercept player who doesn't offer a huge amount of drive like Marchbank.

You, like quite a few on here, are misreading Marchbank. Or maybe you just forget how good he is?

1st 5 backmen picked are Docherty, Weitering, Jones, Plowman, Marchbank.

We have 7 backs in the 22.
I'd suggest that Samo and Simmo make up the 7.

Last edited:
There's a reason that he, as a senior player who played 20 games last year, did not finish in the top 10 in our B&F

Surely you are not using a BnF finish, when discussing his foot skills?

This isn't a bloke kicking 20 metres sideways on a regular basis. As mentioned by another poster, he is trying to gain ground quickly by taking risks a lot further up the ground

Surely you are not using a BnF finish, when discussing his foot skills?

This isn't a bloke kicking 20 metres sideways on a regular basis. As mentioned by another poster, he is trying to gain ground quickly by taking risks a lot further up the ground

What? No, maybe reread my post.

Absent a full list of the votes, I'm not reading anything into that. For all I know he missed the top 10 by a single vote.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No need, I think you clearly implied that you don't rate his kicking and his BnF result somehow justifies your opinion

Don't be silly.
I said his kicking isn't brilliant, and that the teams kicking out of defence would not be noticeably different if Marchbank was in the team rather than Newman. Although I will say that with Marchbank's intercepting, we would have more opportunities to bring the ball out of defence.

His BnF result somehow justifies my assessment of him as a player, not specifically his kicking.

Really is surprising how the likes of Gibbons, Newnes, Newman are so underrated by so many
Is it?

Gibbons was overlooked in what 5 drafts? Newman was a mature aged Rookie who managed 31 games across 4 years in Sydney - I would have thought it would be expected they are underrated by now. ;)

Last edited:
You, like quite a few on here, are misreading Marchbank. Or maybe you just forget how good he is?

1st 5 backmen picked are Docherty, Weitering, Jones, Plowman, Marchbank.

We have 7 backs in the 22.
I'd suggest that Samo and Simmo make up the 7.

My opinion differs to yours, ergo I'm misreading Marchbank.

Get off your enormous horse, mate.

I've said numerous times that I'm talking balance rather than talent. I can easily see the club's view differing from mine, of course.

3 "defensive" focused players in Weiters, Jones, Plowman. Their job is to blanket their opponents.
1 "general" in Docherty, who does it all bloody well. Intercepts, creates the play, and directs the backline collective better than most.
3 "offensive" focused players in Simmo, Newman and one of SPS/Willo. They do defensive work too, of course, but they're the ones who generate run and drive from the backline, and press forward as overlap handball receivers.

My view only, not shitting on Marchbank at all, just highlighting that the structure I believe we may go with makes selecting him somewhat challenging.

My opinion differs to yours, ergo I'm misreading Marchbank.

Get off your enormous horse, mate.

I've said numerous times that I'm talking balance rather than talent. I can easily see the club's view differing from mine, of course.

3 "defensive" focused players in Weiters, Jones, Plowman. Their job is to blanket their opponents.
1 "general" in Docherty, who does it all bloody well. Intercepts, creates the play, and directs the backline collective better than most.
3 "offensive" focused players in Simmo, Newman and one of SPS/Willo. They do defensive work too, of course, but they're the ones who generate run and drive from the backline, and press forward as overlap handball receivers.

My view only, not shitting on Marchbank at all, just highlighting that the structure I believe we may go with makes selecting him somewhat challenging.

OK, I'll just counter that with that at every single opportunity when they've been fit, we've gone with all of Weiters, Jones, Plowman and Marchbank.
And we've moved players like Levi, and Setterfield back to cover when one of them has not been available.

OK, I'll just counter that with that at every single opportunity when they've been fit, we've gone with all of Weiters, Jones, Plowman and Marchbank.
And we've moved players like Levi, and Setterfield back to cover when one of them has not been available.

And I'll counter that we have a new coach and new players. Docherty hasn't played in two years - for me, with where the team is at now, he takes the spot Marchbank may have otherwise had.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back