List Mgmt. 2021 Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll be stoked with either of those players. 1 has some mongrel about him and the other is a mature age plug and play type defender.
I'd be keen for a rookie slot for Baker Smith... tassie boy and the son of a 200+ gamer down there. Been brought up around state footy.

Agreed. Love the look of Charlie Dean. Would do really well with us

17, Young and Lipinski.

Disappointed to give up 52, and our 2022 3rd, ESPECIALLY considering 23 was supposedly so "hardly fought for".
We still have 41. I’m happy to be corrected but I think its:
17 & Young for
Darcy and a pick swap of 3rd rounders with North in 2022.

that’s pretty sharp business.

Why is there no longer a draft tracker on the AFL site? Did I just miss it? I know live trading & bidding makes it more dynamic now, but updating the live draft order should not be that hard. The AFL and clubs obviously have access to the order as it changes.

Welcome to the modern AFL site...

No trade tracker
No draft tracker
No Brownlow tracker
Fewer stats

If you're interested in the net points we gained/lost out of tonight's trade, here they are:

1637752203201.png

On pure points we have come out of that 192 points in front and that's just on 2021 draft points.

Now we all know that maximising points is not the end game. It's to match the Darcy bid and to come out with the best remaining draft pick we can after that.

The art is to fashion a picks trade that appeals to the needs of the other club while meeting your own, so you need to understand where each of the other clubs is coming from. That's something I think Sam Power has done very well tonight. He does it most of the time in fact.

Even the 119 point deficit with North is likely to be flipped around by the time the 2022 draft comes around. Say North improve and move up from 18th to 13th while we slip a bit and finish fourth. We would get their third rounder (#42 worth 395 pts) and give up our third rounder (#51 worth 259 pts). That wipes out this year's notional 119 point deficit and leaves us 17 points in the black.

Of course the best scenario is where we win the flag and North gets our pick #54 (220 pts) while they win the spoon again and we get their pick #37 (483 pts). A 263 point turnaround.

Win-win-win!

Last edited:
Charlie Dean could be available and if he is I'd love for us to take him. If our pick ends up earlier than 40, we could take Jesse Motlop (assuming nobody else gets in before us, which I don't reckon is likely).
Where do you recon he will end up?
Some draft websites say in the later rounds, is 64 a bolter for him or could we trade back and get 2 defenders?
With Woody retired and Lewy traded, we need some depth down back.

What do we reckon we are after with those picks? Defender or best available?
41 best available Sammy pick. There will be a few sliders due to lack of footy In Vic
Pick 64 or later, has to be defenders.
There is some good bargain's to be had

Dante Visentini DRAFT PROJECTION: Late/Rookie
Charlie Dean DRAFT PROJECTION latter stages of the draft.
Baker Smith DRAFT RANGE: Late/Rookie

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
Our pick swap with North wasn’t glamorous, but it was really effective.

we move up in the 3rd round next year, probably at least 10 spots, and our first live pick this year is now 41 rather than a late 40s pick.

All for absolutely no downside for us. Great work by Power.
Yeah I was a bit underwhelmed last night and North seemed very happy with it. I’m confident we have a target though and it’s a solid position to have a second pick.

After going over it - once again Sammy has done well. At the time I missed that he swapped in 47 from North that didn't get absorbed by matching for Darcy. We're at a decent spot in this draft and have North's 2022 3rd instead of ours. Happy with that.

I missed the pick 47 also, hence why I wasn't overly happy to begin with. I never should've doubted the man though, honestly.

The swap of 2022 3rds wasn't fantastic either in my mind, but I guess it was required by the Roos to "even up the deal", especially with the high likelihood of us top 4 and them bottom ...... 2?

5 spots left on the list. 1 is a category B rookie only spot, which may be Raak if he gets through and we choose to take him. That leaves 4, 1 or 2 of which I suspect will be left to the rookie draft or SSP.
I would love our later picks to be 1 key defender (Vinsentini I like the look of), a small forward (Stagg/Curtis), and 2 smaller/medium defenders (not sure here, maybe these could be the rookie picks, and maybe 1 is matching an earlier Raak bid)

41 best available Sammy pick. There will be a few sliders due to lack of footy In Vic
Pick 64 or later, has to be defenders.
There is some good bargain's to be had

Dante Visentini DRAFT PROJECTION: Late/Rookie
Charlie Dean DRAFT PROJECTION latter stages of the draft.
Baker Smith DRAFT RANGE: Late/Rookie
On rumours/media fluff & who we've interviewed, I'm expecting two picks at least. One overager and one kid.
We've interviewed a few small forwards/ medium forwards so I suspect one pick will be one of those types. Probably a defender with the other.

Leaves us at least one rookie spot to target a project player. Fingers crossed we get Raak as a Cat B player too.

5 spots left on the list. 1 is a category B rookie only spot, which may be Raak if he gets through and we choose to take him. That leaves 4, 1 or 2 of which I suspect will be left to the rookie draft or SSP.
I would love our later picks to be 1 key defender (Vinsentini I like the look of), a small forward (Stagg/Curtis), and 2 smaller/medium defenders (not sure here, maybe these could be the rookie picks, and maybe 1 is matching an earlier Raak bid)

So 4 main list spots left will be picks 41 and 69 for whoever, and two more for Sweet and Smith upgrades? Does Gardner need an upgrade also?

So 4 main list spots left will be picks 41 and 69 for whoever, and two more for Sweet and Smith upgrades? Does Gardner need an upgrade also?
Could be upgrades, but not neccessary. Could just draft 4 more new blokes. But seems as though Smith will be upgraded, and not sure on the other two. Essentially, however many we draft, we will probably upgrade as many rookies needed to make it 4 more in total (5 including Darcy). Then the gaps left on the rookie list will be filled Friday or left for the SSP.

Technically speaking, I would rather we take 4 more selections in the national draft, as it allows us to get better access to players higher on our draft board (albeit at this point it is probably splitting hairs). Really hoping Raak gets through to Cat B, which would add another youngster to our list for essentially free.

Why is there no longer a draft tracker on the AFL site? Did I just miss it? I know live trading & bidding makes it more dynamic now, but updating the live draft order should not be that hard. The AFL and clubs obviously have access to the order as it changes.

They want people watching the Draft, Brownlow etc on TV, over following it through the app.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2021 Draft Prospects

Remove this Banner Ad

Back