North Melbourne46,357 (club record)
Port Adelaide56,532 (club record)
Richmond105,084 (club record)
St Kilda55,802 (club record)
Sydney Swans50,144
West Coast Eagles106,422 (club record)
Western Bulldogs46,541
TOTAL1,113,441

This is a phenomenal achievement for the club. I can see a time in the not too distant future where our membership numbers surpass some of the clubs in traditional footy states.

With a bit of success I can see the Suns getting 30k+ members too. Easily. Will be interesting to see the population numbers in the upcoming census (yes I'm a nerd who finds stuff like this interesting).

Off the top of my head the population on the Gold Coast was 400,000 back when I lived there around 2000, now they estimate it at 700,000.

Tasmania, the whole state, they estimate has a population of 550,000 currently. Back in 2000 it had a population of 470,000.

This is a phenomenal achievement for the club. I can see a time in the not too distant future where our membership numbers surpass some of the clubs in traditional footy states.

With a bit of success I can see the Suns getting 30k+ members too. Easily. Will be interesting to see the population numbers in the upcoming census (yes I'm a nerd who finds stuff like this interesting).

Off the top of my head the population on the Gold Coast was 400,000 back when I lived there around 2000, now they estimate it at 700,000.

Tasmania, the whole state, they estimate has a population of 550,000 currently. Back in 2000 it had a population of 470,000.

1.1 mill nationally is a pretty good effort, too. Is there anywhere in the world that has such a high percentage of the population as club members of one sport?

1.1 mill nationally is a pretty good effort, too. Is there anywhere in the world that has such a high percentage of the population as club members of one sport?
I would imagine the UK with football. And typically their memberships are full season tickets.

And in the UK, it’s not just the EPL. The first division will have near full support as well. Then second and third division as well.

I would imagine the UK with football. And typically their memberships are full season tickets.

And in the UK, it’s not just the EPL. The first division will have near full support as well. Then second and third division as well.

Well, do some further research & get back to us Briz. I look forward to your report.

Just on the UK though, what the hell is it with them competing in the Olympics as 'Great Britain'? Everyone else competes as a single country.

Cheating bastards.

I guess you do what you have to do though when you suck at most sports outside of darts.

Just on the UK though, what the hell is it with them competing in the Olympics as 'Great Britain'? Everyone else competes as a single country.

Hong Kong. Puerto Rico. Guam. Bermuda. Aruba.

All you need is a recognized Olympic Committee to take part. Doesn't matter if you're part of another country.

True. And when you factor in right down to the village green level there would be a good number. But I would back the number of Aussies overall as members, using that criteria. Not trying to be narkey.

Hong Kong. Puerto Rico. Guam. Bermuda. Aruba.

All you need is a recognized Olympic Committee to take part. Doesn't matter if you're part of another country.
The real question is when Yorkshire will get its own olympic committee

Lies, damned lies and...

2021 CLUB MEMBERSHIP TOTALS
CLUB2021 TOTAL
Adelaide Crows60,232
Brisbane Lions40,289 (club record)
Carlton81,302 (club record)
Collingwood82,527
Essendon81,662
Fremantle50,342
Geelong Cats70,293 (club record)
Gold Coast SUNS19,460 (club record)
GWS GIANTS30,185
Hawthorn77,079
Melbourne53,188 (club record)
Sydney Swans50,144
Western Bulldogs46,541
TOTAL1,113,441

All the Clubs

2021 CLUB MEMBERSHIP TOTALS
CLUB2021 TOTAL
Adelaide Crows60,232
Brisbane Lions40,289 (club record)
Carlton81,302 (club record)
Collingwood82,527
Essendon81,662
Fremantle50,342
Geelong Cats70,293 (club record)
Gold Coast SUNS19,460 (club record)
GWS GIANTS30,185
Hawthorn77,079
Melbourne53,188 (club record)
Sydney Swans50,144
Western Bulldogs46,541
TOTAL1,113,441
These numbers can't be taken seriously. How many 3 game memberships, non-access to game memberships and pet memberships does it include?

The numbers should be done by dollars to see the real value. No doubt a lot of fat cats are getting paid bonuses for breaking records based on fantasy numers.

These numbers can't be taken seriously. How many 3 game memberships, non-access to game memberships and pet memberships does it include?

The numbers should be done by dollars to see the real value. No doubt a lot of fat cats are getting paid bonuses for breaking records based on fantasy numers.
Agree, would not be hard to state some categories along with the figure but nobody does
I suppose they could post a $ value along with those numbers but neither is going to happen anytime soon

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why do people persist with this myth that m'ship numbers are padded out with pet and 3 game m'ships? When our member numbers were low no one was saying, 'Yeah, we're only 27k members because everyone's signing up their pets', or why would people sign up for 3 game m'ships when they could've just bought a GA ticket when their team played the Gabba? The disbelief that we've managed to finally get to a reasonable number of paid up supporters betrays a belief that you don't think our club is worthy of such numbers. People too easily believe that Qlders don't love AFL. How can they not? Anyone who has watched nrl knows which code is better as a game and as entertainment value. When our boys play well they are mesmerising to watch (when they play shit they're terrible but that's not the point I'm trying to drive home). Stop with this crap that our 40k numbers can't be real.

Why do people persist with this myth that m'ship numbers are padded out with pet and 3 game m'ships? When our member numbers were low no one was saying, 'Yeah, we're only 27k members because everyone's signing up their pets', or why would people sign up for 3 game m'ships when they could've just bought a GA ticket when their team played the Gabba? The disbelief that we've managed to finally get to a reasonable number of paid up supporters betrays a belief that you don't think our club is worthy of such numbers. People too easily believe that Qlders don't love AFL. How can they not? Anyone who has watched nrl knows which code is better as a game and as entertainment value. When our boys play well they are mesmerising to watch (when they play sh*t they're terrible but that's not the point I'm trying to drive home). Stop with this crap that our 40k numbers can't be real.
Basic math and common sense says that a large percentage of our memberships aren’t full season members.

My boss buys five 3 game memberships a year, for his family.

I had a non attending membership for a few years, before committing to full season membership last year.

Basic math and common sense says that a large percentage of our memberships aren’t full season members.

I had a non attending membership for a few years, before committing to full season membership last year.

Please explain the "basic math and common sense" that says we don't have 40k fully paid up members.

Why do people persist with this myth that m'ship numbers are padded out with pet and 3 game m'ships?

Because it's true - they count all human memberships, including three game ones. North was offering free supporter memberships to juice their numbers -

When our member numbers were low no one was saying, 'Yeah, we're only 27k members because everyone's signing up their pets', or why would people sign up for 3 game m'ships when they could've just bought a GA ticket when their team played the Gabba?

Plenty of us were saying exactly that when we had crappy numbers too. It's simply true.

The disbelief that we've managed to finally get to a reasonable number of paid up supporters betrays a belief that you don't think our club is worthy of such numbers. People too easily believe that Qlders don't love AFL. How can they not? Anyone who has watched nrl knows which code is better as a game and as entertainment value. When our boys play well they are mesmerising to watch (when they play sh*t they're terrible but that's not the point I'm trying to drive home). Stop with this crap that our 40k numbers can't be real.
It's not just our numbers - it's nothing specific to Queensland - and it's not a big mystery or conspiracy. The AFL releases numbers that count all memberships - full season reserved seats through to supporter memberships. They do this to give the perception of being as big as possible, to be more attractive to TV networks, advertisers, and sponsors. Simply put, full season members are a minority for every club in the league. Several clubs have more members than their member seating holds if it wasn't any more obvious.[/QUOTE]

Please explain the "basic math and common sense" that says we don't have 40k fully paid up members.

Stadium seating capacity for a start is below our membership total.

We’ll have ~5k members in Vic that aren’t full memberships.

Common sense, if we had 40k fully paid season ticket holders, we’d have near capacity sell outs every game. We don’t. Hard to imagine 10k fully members sitting at home most home games this season.

And, then there’s the opposition section behind the east side goals, that still gets a good crowds for the bigger teams.

I’d be surprised if we actually had 30k full season ticket members.

Why do people persist with this myth that m'ship numbers are padded out with pet and 3 game m'ships? When our member numbers were low no one was saying, 'Yeah, we're only 27k members because everyone's signing up their pets', or why would people sign up for 3 game m'ships when they could've just bought a GA ticket when their team played the Gabba? The disbelief that we've managed to finally get to a reasonable number of paid up supporters betrays a belief that you don't think our club is worthy of such numbers. People too easily believe that Qlders don't love AFL. How can they not? Anyone who has watched nrl knows which code is better as a game and as entertainment value. When our boys play well they are mesmerising to watch (when they play sh*t they're terrible but that's not the point I'm trying to drive home). Stop with this crap that our 40k numbers can't be real.
Pretty sure McIvor was talking across the board, not Lions-specific.

Stadium seating capacity for a start is below our membership total.

We’ll have ~5k members in Vic that aren’t full memberships.

Common sense, if we had 40k fully paid season ticket holders, we’d have near capacity sell outs every game. We don’t. Hard to imagine 10k fully members sitting at home most home games this season.

And, then there’s the opposition section behind the east side goals, that still gets a good crowds for the bigger teams.

I’d be surprised if we actually had 30k full season ticket members.

I think the number sits a bit closer to 26k this year from what has been reported. Combined with 5k Victorian members, 5k 3 game members, and 4k of the other membership options.

Still, it's an impressive number considering we only had about 13/14k full season members in 2018.

You could look at it this way as well.
More members could be more potential for merchendise.

I think the number sits a bit closer to 26k this year from what has been reported. Combined with 5k Victorian members, 5k 3 game members, and 4k of the other membership options.

Still, it's an impressive number considering we only had about 13/14k full season members in 2018.
Oh, I’m not saying it’s not an impressive number. I just don’t understand how anyone can believe we have 40k full season ticket holders.
You could look at it this way as well.
More members could be more potential for merchendise.
Always a bonus.

Because it's true - they count all human memberships, including three game ones. North was offering free supporter memberships to juice their numbers -

Plenty of us were saying exactly that when we had crappy numbers too. It's simply true.

It's not just our numbers - it's nothing specific to Queensland - and it's not a big mystery or conspiracy. The AFL releases numbers that count all memberships - full season reserved seats through to supporter memberships. They do this to give the perception of being as big as possible, to be more attractive to TV networks, advertisers, and sponsors. Simply put, full season members are a minority for every club in the league. Several clubs have more members than their member seating holds if it wasn't any more obvious.

[/QUOTE]
The North Melbourne "refer a mate for free" is a good marketing ploy in my opinion for a struggling Melbourne club.
The fact it is counted this year is just a side affect of the promotion.
It is really aimed at year 2022 where they actually get a small amount of income and place people who eat and drink in half full stadiums for 3 games
This year if Melbourne based you get a free ticket to an AFL game that costs them nothing. Assuming you can actually attend a game if open to the public.
Then if you decide you want to go to 3 games in 2022 you can pay a deposit of $1 and a scarf will be forwarded to you with the balance of $21 due in October 2021. Total paid is $22 usually $99. All up a good marketing and promotion by North
How successful it is only North will know that answer. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

The Lions have done a type of refer a mate a few times in the past but from memory it was underwhelming in what was offered

Personally i would like all Clubs to break up membership numbers but can't see that happening
Won't lose any sleep over it one way or the other

Remove this Banner Ad

2021 Membership

Remove this Banner Ad

Back