Training 2021 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Been listening to a bunch of interviews over the last week or so. There are quite a few who are said to be looking very good so far. Stocker, Setters, Dow, JSOS and Durdin all amongst those names. Exciting times fellow baggers.

It wasn't long ago the club's slogan was about toast burning or something. So I will delay judgement.

That concerns me somewhat. I think we should have shut the game down earlier when sides got a run on, rather than continuing to play attacking footy. Needs to be some balance in those situations

Agree with you on needing to learn how to hold the ball up and play tempo possession football - but doubt there is the skill or p[ositional play between teh arcs to achieve it yet - Cripps/Ed/Setterfield are very ordinary field kicks for starters - secondly neither Walsh or Murphy are marking wingmen....thirdly - Pittonet isn't the best mark either nor field kick ....I could go on....I think Teague is spot on with fast movement and looking for one on one kicks to advantage and cocnentrating defensive play in forward 50 - easier game plan for our current starting line-up to maintain?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone should draw some colourful lines on him. Easiest way to work out that angle between his right thumb and left knee.

Dont quote me for that FFS ... tag Jimmae He is the Mr Squiggle body angle dude.

Dow is essentially holding pads for Walsh in that drill.

He appears to be using the pads to gently wipe the sweat from Sammy's shoulders.

Would love to see some footage of Dow with the gloves on to compare, but when you're holding the pads and giving them a few knocks back, you want to be doing it with some intent. Walsh looked intense and driven, Dow looked like he wasn't sure what he was supposed to be doing. Watch them both on the footy field and it's exactly the same story.

The Dow comments are funny, 3 days ago, how ripped does he look on Insta, yesterday he's soft holding the pads?

He looked "ripped" in a couple of preseason pics last year too, but it was ultimately shown to be a bit of creative photography (which I'm sure every club does).

If Paddy is going to play as a contested mid, then he needs to have the frame to bust through a pack. He doesn't (yet). He still looks like a kid who is filling out, which is a little disappointing for a player coming into his fourth year. Maybe there's a valid reason for it (like the club trying to repurpose him for a slightly different role), but it's going to take a bit to convince me he's ready to take the next step.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not writing Dow off, I love what he is capable of doing - just getting a little impatient with how long it's taking him to find his mojo.

Last edited:
He appears to be using the pads to gently wipe the sweat from Sammy's shoulders.

Would love to see some footage of Dow with the gloves on to compare, but when you're holding the pads and giving them a few knocks back, you want to be doing it with some intent. Walsh looked intense and driven, Dow looked like he wasn't sure what he was supposed to be doing. Watch them both on the footy field and it's exactly the same story.

He looked "ripped" in a couple of preseason pics last year too, but it was ultimately shown to be a bit of creative photography (which I'm sure every club does).

If Paddy is going to play as a contested mid, then he needs to have the frame to bust through a pack. He doesn't (yet). He still looks like a kid who is filling out, which is a little disappointing for a player coming into his fourth year. Maybe there's a valid reason for it (like the club trying to repurpose him for a slightly different role), but it's going to take a bit to convince me he's ready to take the next step.

DISCLAIMER: I'm not writing Dow off, I love what he is capable of doing - just getting a little impatient with how long it's taking him to find his mojo.
Watch fighters on the pads, their coaches or training partners don't often go much harder (even if they are more technically proficient) as the practice is often about ensuring that the opposing person is keeping their guard up rather than striking back with any vigour.
Not directed at you mate but preseason is seemingly a weird time for footy fans, a photo of a player with contracted muscles convinces some that the player has stacked on muscle, a fatigue-induced grimace indicates that they're poised for a huge year and now holding pads means that they aren't as powerful as the one throwing punches without the benefit of seeing the two in the other role.

Watch fighters on the pads, their coaches or training partners don't often go much harder (even if they are more technically proficient) as the practice is often about ensuring that the opposing person is keeping their guard up rather than striking back with any vigour.
Not directed at you mate but preseason is seemingly a weird time for footy fans, a photo of a player with contracted muscles convinces some that the player has stacked on muscle, a fatigue-induced grimace indicates that they're poised for a huge year and now holding pads means that they aren't as powerful as the one throwing punches without the benefit of seeing the two in the other role.

Fair call - I'm certainly no expert, I just really wish what I was seeing from Paddy had me thinking "It's finally clicked, he's going to tear it apart this year" - and I'm not getting that vibe. Still looks underdeveloped and lacking intensity (from the admittedly little we've seen).

If he proves me wrong I'll be ****ing ecstatic.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2021 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back