Wilkie - 2018 rookie draft pick 3
Crouch - 2020 free agent
Hill - 2019 trade with Fremantle
Ross - 2011 draft pick 25
Howard - 2019 trade with Port
Webster - 2011 draft pick 42
King - 2018 draft pick 4

A couple of interesting things there:

- Most of our top 10 weren't from the national draft.
- 5 of our top 10 were brought in during trade period.
- 5 of them joined the club in the last 3 years.

Highlights our years of poor drafting, I guess.
We can only hope that looks completely different next year if we are going to take the next step.

We need those under 24 year olds taking the next step.

Has anyone ever gone from whipping boy to forum hero as quickly as DMac?
Only the most nuffy observers ever doubted DMac.
Stevie Wonder could see he plays with 100% heart, ready to die for the shield.
Meanwhile some would rather see the smooth, spaghetti armed Billings gliding on the wing.
Really separated the football connoisseurs from the casual observers.

When youā€™re looking for some reasons as to where it went wrong this year ....

Last year butler and coffield 2nd and 5th finishes didnā€™t look close to it this year

Marshall Jones Ryder Clark were top 10 and this year affected by injury .

Ryder probably the one that wonā€™t play too much more next year than he did this year but the other 5 return to form and playing more consistently that would go a fair way to rising up the table

When youā€™re looking for some reasons as to where it went wrong this year ....

Last year butler and coffield 2nd and 5th finishes didnā€™t look close to it this year

Marshall Jones Ryder Clark were top 10 and this year affected by injury .

Ryder probably the one that wonā€™t play too much more next year than he did this year but the other 5 return to form and playing more consistently that would go a fair way to rising up the table

With Billings being injured we get back a top 10 type as well. If we ever get a clean run at it and actually have the youth step up we will be a decent chance of playing finals again next year. To go top 4 we need some serious internal improvement on top of that. I hope they smash some of the youth in the preseason, make them properly fit and push them out to the VFL if they don't show up to play. No guaranteed spots any more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Billings being injured we get back a top 10 type as well. If we ever get a clean run at it and actually have the youth step up we will be a decent chance of playing finals again next year. To go top 4 we need some serious internal improvement on top of that. I hope they smash some of the youth in the preseason, make them properly fit and push them out to the VFL if they don't show up to play. No guaranteed spots any more.

We need guys performing at VFL level too. All the hand wringing about selection integrity ignored the fact that the only guys performing at Sandy were Lonie & Dunstan. Neither of which were like for like replacements with some of the blokes in the ones who were struggling.

Of course having so many out of action hurt too.

Weā€™re not that far off. Things couldnā€™t have gone much worse for us this year & we still only finished a few games out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone ever gone from whipping boy to forum hero as quickly as DMac?
Adds to the legend. For those playing at home I happaned to walk past the great man at Woolworths yesterday. Reckon itā€™s my lotus touch šŸ˜‰. Since he and Dmac moved across the road from the mrs one second in the bnf the other career turn around .

Looking at this count, it really can be used to spin the narrative either way. On one side, we have a lack of elite talent and there are a lot of players in this top 10 who didn't have brilliant seasons. On the other, it really does impress the evenness of our list. After Steele, you could genuinely throw a blanket over 15+ of them and it would come down to form/injuries/roles etc. 18 players in our best 22 have top 10 finishes in our B&F. 13 players have come in the top five. Of those without top 10 finishes, there is Paton, Higgins, Highmore and Sharman, all of whom are big parts of our future. Genuinely everyone in that group of 22 can play good football. Not many teams have that. Most teams have us covered for top end though.

I can see things going either way. If two or three players from the Clark, King, Gresham, Highmore, Marshall group break out and become genuine, consistent A graders, we will be in a great spot. Four or five A graders, backed up by the evenness across the rest of the team would be a really strong 22. Alternatively, if we keep leaving it to Steele, we'll stay mid table and cause not much trouble. So much riding on the development of those types.

I thi
Looking at this count, it really can be used to spin the narrative either way. On one side, we have a lack of elite talent and there are a lot of players in this top 10 who didn't have brilliant seasons. On the other, it really does impress the evenness of our list. After Steele, you could genuinely throw a blanket over 15+ of them and it would come down to form/injuries/roles etc. 18 players in our best 22 have top 10 finishes in our B&F. 13 players have come in the top five. Of those without top 10 finishes, there is Paton, Higgins, Highmore and Sharman, all of whom are big parts of our future. Genuinely everyone in that group of 22 can play good football. Not many teams have that. Most teams have us covered for top end though.

I can see things going either way. If two or three players from the Clark, King, Gresham, Highmore, Marshall group break out and become genuine, consistent A graders, we will be in a great spot. Four or five A graders, backed up by the evenness across the rest of the team would be a really strong 22. Alternatively, if we keep leaving it to Steele, we'll stay mid table and cause not much trouble. So much riding on the development of those types.
nk the count highlights the lack of continuity and injuries.
For instance
Ryder , Marshal , Gresham , Jones Clark Iā€™d argue would all have been pushing top 5 had they played the year. Add all them into the mix our top 15 players looks much much better.

I thi

nk the count highlights the lack of continuity and injuries.
For instance
Ryder , Marshal , Gresham , Jones Clark Iā€™d argue would all have been pushing top 5 had they played the year. Add all them into the mix our top 15 players looks much much better.
It would be interesting to see points per games played if anyone can be bothered.

I think the club is on the same page with that, hence the focus on development. I think the building blocks are there, it now a matter of getting the best out of the players and getting them to sustain that standard from week to week.

I reckon Membrey is owed an apology by some on here. I posted a few weeks back he'd be top 5 in our B&F.

I know his slow decision making when up the ground can be infuriating but the guy tries his guts out every week and he's lost his role as the focal point with King and Marshall playing forward.

You only need to listen to Ratts talk to know he's one of his favourites. Calls for him to be dropped by some posters during the year was never going to happen. I think the B&F result proves that

Yeah, I've been suggesting that all year, our strength is our even list and our weakness is our even list. We aren't far off the Dogs and Dees except for the top end talent. Melbourne and WBD both have about 5 players who are elite or close to elite we have 1. King looks close to exploding but then the Dogs have their own potentially elite KPF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Event 2021 Trevor Barker Award - McKenzie, Steele & Sinclair steal the show

Remove this Banner Ad

Back