our key strategic initiatives that will underpin a prosperous
future
• Be admired for our culture, built on a foundation of respect
and accountability
• Have developed a working environment that continues to
attract the very highest calibre of people
• Be a club that has meaningful relationships with our business
and community partners

I have no idea how the AFL allowed it to happen where different teams playing the same venue with the same crowd get a different payment.
They've tried to equalise it by giving more of a leg up financially to the clubs that took those whacks like the shit Docklands deal.

I agree with you though, it will never be an equal playing field because money is involved. If it weren't, you'd play each team once either home or away (then in reverse the following season) as a start.

I don't really understand (other than money) the need to keep rolling out the same "rivalry" games too. Create new rivalries by giving everyone a fair chance. Essendon-Collingwood shouldn't have to play twice a year every year, as well as the other bigger clubs.

I have no idea how the AFL allowed it to happen where different teams playing the same venue with the same crowd get a different payment.

One person; Andrew Demetriou, that's how.

The deals and false promises under Wayne Jackson started the rot when we moved from Waverely to Colonial Stadium. Demetriou merely continued and amplified the false narrative.

Yes and no, Waverley was going to require upgrades to be relevant moving forward, and the VFL had only just recently said "yes please" to the Eagles bring in $$$ from WA, and it was Jackson that introduced the competitive balance fund. Bit of a rocky time period that one financially.

Oakley essentially sold Jackson a lemon, who took steps to consolidate & reformat a bit who then handed over to Demetriou who crashed back to $$$ taking precedence over literally everything else. So for me, Jackson gets a pass for Waverley sale since it was far better than "you 12, fight amongst yourselves for a merge, Roys, piss off" that Oakley started whilst selling everything so QLD, WA and SA can all bring cash in to an essentially dead entity that then got punted to the commission we know and abhor today.

I view it similar to kind of Westaway into Summers into Bassat with us, Westaway was there when we had to upend to Seaford and kill our branding as a club some, Summers was there to consolidate and reformat, Bassat is there to progress & build. Oakey as the guy that coulda shoulda didn't, Jackson as the guy to find that nugget and nurture, Dimmies should have launched, but since interests shifted from game to corporate under Oakley, cash won out until Gil came along.

Yes and no, Waverley was going to require upgrades to be relevant moving forward, and the VFL had only just recently said "yes please" to the Eagles bring in $$$ from WA, and it was Jackson that introduced the competitive balance fund. Bit of a rocky time period that one financially.

Oakley essentially sold Jackson a lemon, who took steps to consolidate & reformat a bit who then handed over to Demetriou who crashed back to $$$ taking precedence over literally everything else. So for me, Jackson gets a pass for Waverley sale since it was far better than "you 12, fight amongst yourselves for a merge, Roys, piss off" that Oakley started whilst selling everything so QLD, WA and SA can all bring cash in to an essentially dead entity that then got punted to the commission we know and abhor today.

I view it similar to kind of Westaway into Summers into Bassat with us, Westaway was there when we had to upend to Seaford and kill our branding as a club some, Summers was there to consolidate and reformat, Bassat is there to progress & build. Oakey as the guy that coulda shoulda didn't, Jackson as the guy to find that nugget and nurture, Dimmies should have launched, but since interests shifted from game to corporate under Oakley, cash won out until Gil came along.

Wayne Jackson sold us the false dream of the new stadium being the financial saviour of the club without providing the context of what the break even figure would be when hosting as the home club. We went from 13,000 at Waverley being the break even to well over 30,000 at Colonial. The projected profits that were provided to Andrew Plympton and Don Hanly were incorrect and grossly inflated to make us sign on the dotted line. Then to add salt to the wound, Essendon were given a superior deal. Oakley had nothing to do with the unviable commercial deal that was originally signed under Jackson.

Wayne Jackson sold us the false dream of the new stadium being the financial saviour of the club without providing the context of what the break even figure would be when hosting as the home club. We went from 13,000 at Waverley being the break even to well over 30,000 at Colonial. The projected profits that were provided to Andrew Plympton and Don Hanly were incorrect and grossly inflated to make us sign on the dotted line. Then to add salt to the wound, Essendon were given a superior deal. Oakley had nothing to do with the unviable commercial deal that was originally signed under Jackson.

I used to talk to Plympton's mum. She reckons that the Hawks and AFL rooted us on the deal. She claimed that the Hawks and Saints got told that if they wanted to keep Waverley that the clubs would have to pay upkeep and maintenance but take all the gate profits as well. Hawks were doing a secret deal behind our backs as we were doing sums and they also negotiated with the AFL to get the $1 lease on Waverley park as a training ground.

The AFL had a sweetener deal for any club that signed on first where basically the club that became the anchor tenant go a bigger slice of everything. We were off chasing a dead end and Essendon signed on. We went cap in hand desperate and they wrote us a deal that meant we paid for their stadium and Essendon got more of the spoils.

Gringo and his phonebook

maxresdefault.jpg

Gringo and his phonebook

maxresdefault.jpg

She used to work at the Church Street Op shop in Brighton and I bought a vintage Saints VFL stick-man mug off her, after that I used to pop in and she'd chat Saints with me. She was a great old duck and a total Saints nuffie so we got on well.

St Kilda reminds me so much of a small business life cycle. Even though we have been around for 150 years, the decisions over the last decade have meant we have had to essentially start again.

Stage 1 - Existence

Stage 2 - Survival

Stage 3 - Success

Stage 4 - Take-off

Stage 5 - Resource maturity

I think we are now finaly moving from the Survival stage 2 into the Success stage 3.

It's going to take hard work from now on to move into Take-off Stage 4, but I believe the right building blocks are now in place to make this step achievable.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion 2022 Annual Report Released

Remove this Banner Ad

Back