Discussion James Gallagher (Head of List Management) set to depart at end of 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Please no to SOS
Made a strong statement getting quality assistants, fitness gurus in etc don’t let it go to Shyte with SOS or worse Trout type decisions
Make Cripps an offer he can’t refuse
Get best
Walsh should be overseeing this
I know what the obvious answer to this is but why is the Cripps looked upon as the golden goose here?

He's delivered absolutely sweet FA for Port during a period that should have at least brought them a GF appearance.

Maybe we look at guys who have actually delivered (or at least been a significant influence) on winning flag/s.

I give him an out here. We set a deliberate strategy to target youth in the draft. The idea of them all of a sudden finding that drafting was a revelation when gifted a sweet hand of academy kids was more of a worry to me.
Really well said…last year’s draft we got Windhager and Owens on a platter, very lucky no one bid earlier.
All credit goes to Toce and the recruiting team this year for a very good draft haul!

I know what the obvious answer to this is but why is the Cripps looked upon as the golden goose here?

He's delivered absolutely sweet FA for Port during a period that should have at least brought them a GF appearance.

Maybe we look at guys who have actually delivered (or at least been a significant influence) on winning flag/s.
Because someone said he is good and the sheep followed

Apparently we are tighter than expected and it's easier without many stars on your list. Hill and Hanners two of the highest paid players in AFL. Sold existing players at bargain value and paid big for targeted players. He wasn't terrible but had issues.
Unfortunately you have to pay overs to attract players to a middle of the road performing club.
Just about sold the farm to get Hill but let’s hope he repays the faith in 2023 playing for the boss.

Did a job for a lady during the week who said she is related to sos. I went on to say I’m a saints supporter and I heard he’s coming back to be the list manager. She froze and said “ who told you”. Could be bullshit but what this space
Photos or it didn't happen

Cripps is well known throughout the AFL industry as an excellent operator.
He has nailed most drafts and trade periods during his time at Port.
That draft when he picked Rozee, Butters, Dhursma and Georgiadis transformed Port.

Cripps is well known throughout the AFL industry as an excellent operator.
He has nailed most drafts and trade periods during his time at Port.
That draft when he picked Rozee, Butters, Dhursma and Georgiadis transformed Port.
I think we really need to understand hierarchies and roles when it comes to recruitment teams.

Jason Cripps - List Manager
Geoff Parker - National Recruiting Manager
Chris Davies - General Manager (Football)

All the media from PA over the draft and trade period stems from Chris Davies, you would be hard pressed to find anything from Jason or Geoff at all.
I don't necessarily think Jimmy G did a bad job at all if all he is doing is managing the list, making sure its balanced, and providing an advisory role across football operations and trade / draft.

The big gap I think we have is the need to have someone established in the trade / draft space who can leverage off relationships - it feels like we have been out of the loop for years, since Ameet left. When was the last time we got involved in a big pick swap deal, or had the inside knowledge or running on an opportunity like Bowes + 7? If we had a Beatson, SOS, Hine, Dodoro (yes even Dodoro), Wright, Wells, then we would be leveraging off the relationships we have established and have our snout at the trough so to speak.

This is the role we need to be looking for as far as I'm concerned, and judging by other team hierarchies, it isn't necessarily the list manager.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn’t make sense the list strategy was found to be sound when we had an over reliance on the trade period & lack top end talent!!
Chris Toce and his team nailed the draft..Gags brought in an average player in Cordy as a free agent in the trade period that nobody else wanted I dare say!
You’re not alone there..Cripps would be a great get!

Strategy was sound because of the deficiencies that Gallagher inherited needed to be addressed first via the trade scenario.

Gallagher was Toce's boss. Cordy is 118 game player that fills a need and cost us ZERO.

Where did Port Adelaide finish last year?

We need to develop our own stars via the draft..NWM, Windhager and Phillipou are a good start!!

Again we won't know for a few years. Right now Sincs with a move to the midfield and King look closest to being stars. Snags has real potential he can string games together, Windhager looks ready to move a step higher in his progression and Coffield probably had the biggest impact of his group of youth. Marshall reminded us of his promise late too.

Gresham is probably our closest to a real high impact star, Billings still has potential despite most of us having given up and Brad Hill on a wing gives us another close to a grade output player. Battle could be a bit of a bolter too if he moves forward.

He's seen as a guy who was able to refresh their list while they were challenging without losing ground. Had a real good ability to turn GOPs into high draft currency and balance their payments to always have room to move. List managers don't draft so a lot of it is symbiotic and you really don't know how bad a head recruiter is for 5 years and a bad recruiter tarnishes both.

SOS looked terrible for years but in hindsight Carton's list has ended up being excellent with a real high top end from his work. His time at GWS assembled one of the great lists that went nowhere. As list manager you are only as good as the work your recruiters do so its hard to write him off as a failure. List manager is more defined by how many players move out for money because you can't fit them in or your inability to bring in players due to cap restraints.

Again we won't know for a few years. Right now Sincs with a move to the midfield and King look closest to being stars. Snags has real potential he can string games together, Windhager looks ready to move a step higher in his progression and Coffield probably had the biggest impact of his group of youth. Marshall reminded us of his promise late too.

Gresham is probably our closest to a real high impact star, Billings still has potential despite most of us having given up and Brad Hill on a wing gives us another close to a grade output player. Battle could be a bit of a bolter too if he moves forward.
Windy and King are the two I reckon. It will be interesting to see what Windy can take onto the park this year. Was rated the third best first-year player and seems to be having an enormous off-season. Don't want to count chickens though.

All Cripps can do is pick the players, what Hinkley does with them is a different story. Port’s had a very good list which has underperformed with Hinkley’s boring sideways crap that he played for years. The list has been in pretty good shape for a lot of years IMO.

All Cripps can do is pick the players, what Hinkley does with them is a different story. Port’s had a very good list which has underperformed with Hinkley’s boring sideways crap that he played for years. The list has been in pretty good shape for a lot of years IMO.

Parker is their recruiter, Cripps is list manager. Basically they were able to chase players like Alir Alir, Charlie Dixon, Burton, Fantasia types because he runs a pretty tight disciplined list and they don't lose to many that they haven't chosen to let walk. Amon probably the only one I can think of. They actually have a pretty meh list IMO and their recruiting is good without being incredible. There was a minute where they had about 4 kids who looked set to become stars. The gloss has worn off a few now though.

would Cripps look after the payments ? to stay under salary cap. Didn't SOS have problems with that?

Seems Gallagher managed it well.

would Cripps look after the payments ? to stay under salary cap. Didn't SOS have problems with that?

Seems Gallagher managed it well.
I’m not sure what his exact role is but it’s easy to manage the salary cap well when you don’t have anybody worth paying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion James Gallagher (Head of List Management) set to depart at end of 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back