List Mgmt. 2022 Carlton Consensus Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

The emergencies vote in years gone past has been a bit of a fizz, struggling to confidently assign players to our 'Best 26' or knowing with certainty the next 2-3 guys on the list.

This year I found it was neiher of those. I could have confidently picked half a dozen or more guys that I would be happy to see play Round 1 if given the chance.

Ed and Newy are the first two that I think are most likely to be there come Round 1 so were shoe-ins (but not without competition).

Guys like Pitto, Gov, Oscar, Setters, Owies, Carroll, Marchy, LOB, Fogarty, Cottrell, Philp, Willo, Durdin and Newnes all have a reasonable chance of making our Round 1 team if they push hard enough. There's 14 blokes who I could see making the side - remarkable, really.

It'll be one hell of a preseason. With Doc's spot possibly open to start the year, Murph and Jones out the door plus Eddie and Levi's departures - there's four or five senior spots that are realistically up for grabs.

Who will take them (and hold them, more importantly) is going to be my big story for the next 12 months.

Get voting, people!

Last edited:
While i still don't think highly of our best 22 compared to other teams - i'd say we'll be looking back on it in three years time more favourably compared to looking at our best 22 from three years ago today.

While i still don't think highly of our best 22 compared to other teams - i'd say we'll be looking back on it in three years time more favourably compared to looking at our best 22 from three years ago today.
The actual Round 1 side from 3 years ago (in the OP) and the Consensus 22 from 3 years ago tells us exactly that, Schemp!

I wanna know who you picked as your first bench spot.

A good chance to win the league's Best 19th Man award ;)

The actual Round 1 side from 3 years ago (in the OP) and the Consensus 22 from 3 years ago tells us exactly that, Schemp!
You’ve put in a fair effort in the op with the concensus v actual r1 sides. Interesting exercise and typically the discrepancy is ~4-6.

There’s been a lot of player changes since 2018. I had completely forgotten about Ciaran Byrne.

Handy emergencies - all lines covered, except KPP are a bit thin

I've selected two talls: Marchbank & McGov
Two smalls: Motlop & Philp
3 only

3 only

Surely the thread isn't struggling that much, mate? This one's almost wrapped up so probably not worth your energy.

I hear the Training Thread is heating up if you're looking for a place to plug your evidently self-professed pièce de résistance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

…well these options tell the story of our list. Suddenly stacked.
FWIW voted Ed, Durdin, McGovern and Motlop.
But, genuinely
Pittonet on needs (and ability) should be in our top squad.
Newnes is an incumbent best 22 player.
Fogarty has done little wrong other than succumb to lack of pre seasons and niggling injuries.
Owies may not have the pizzazz of his rivals for a forward spot, but few would knock his work rate, reliability and commitment.
O’Brien has all the skills and could easily elevate and make a wing his own.
Marchbank is the major outlier. When fit, best 22 all day.
Newman another incumbent player, clearly we can’t play all of Doc, Saad, Williams and Newy in the backline. Then there is Stock and Kempy.
Philp was on an upward spiral before succumbing to injury. Bulked up, in super Knick, going to be hard to ignore.
Jack Carroll is generation next. Super talented, has the skills and the attitude and has come back ripped. Another who is going to be nigh on impossible to deny.
McGovern is the disappointment and it clearly is as hard for others as it is for me to put him in front of seemingly more genuine competitors, but we kid ourselves. Fit and firing, clearly best 22.
Ed Curnow perpetual top 5 B&F we all know is a glaring omission. Will be there round 1, but clearly under pressure from better skilled players. His work rate and ability to paper over the “pressure” cracks is undersold.
Durdin is my rising star. Will be a year short of peak as his effort and work rate are sapping and hard to maintain for four quarters. Will be a staple for years to come.
In fairness to others, too soon to automatically throw in Jesse Motlop, but x-factor and superior disposal and vision will make him hard to ignore.
Parks I have lower in the pecking order, but is a workhorse who may benefit from improved structures and be a solid piece of the puzzle if given the opportunity.
Similarly Boyd was drafted and retained for a reason, superior disposal and the ability to genuinely defend may force him in to a role by definition.
Williamson, a fallen fav for me. Only flaw is his propensity to bite off more than he can chew. Misses because of the availability of others rather than his shortcomings. Please release him to a wing in the twos to give the chance of broadening his repertoire.
Mirkov is more mature and closer to the side than people think. Clearly third banana to start, but capable of making a case through the season.
McDonald, the forgotten man. Has played 80 plus games at the level. Did nothing wrong in his couple of games, and we may be very wrong assuming Young is in front of him.
Setterfield is the conundrum. Was tracking beautifully in 2020, but fell from grace last season. Groin issues and being played out of position derailed 2021, but his desire has to be questioned. Laconic or lacks intent? Another one time favourite for me, hard to see pushing a couple out.
Cottrell athletic and competitive beast probably lacking the game sense and skills to keep some of the young guns pushing for a spot behind him. We know we get 100% so has some love.
Akuei has great potential, and massive upside, but probably the one player on the list I would consider unlikely to be sighted in the best 22 in ‘22, but I am so very excited to see him develop through the year.

I am sick of the naysayers knocking the list. Cannot see us not playing footy in September.

But, genuinely
Fogarty has done little wrong other than succumb to lack of pre seasons and niggling injuries.
Owies may not have the pizzazz of his rivals for a forward spot, but few would knock his work rate, reliability and commitment.
Newman another incumbent player, clearly we can’t play all of Doc, Saad, Williams and Newy in the backline. Then there is Stock and Kempy.
Philp was on an upward spiral before succumbing to injury. Bulked up, in super Knick, going to be hard to ignore.
Jack Carroll is generation next. Super talented, has the skills and the attitude and has come back ripped. Another who is going to be nigh on impossible to deny.
McGovern is the disappointment and it clearly is as hard for others as it is for me to put him in front of seemingly more genuine competitors, but we kid ourselves. Fit and firing, clearly best 22.
Ed Curnow perpetual top 5 B&F we all know is a glaring omission. Will be there round 1, but clearly under pressure from better skilled players. His work rate and ability to paper over the “pressure” cracks is undersold.
Durdin is my rising star. Will be a year short of peak as his effort and work rate are sapping and hard to maintain for four quarters. Will be a staple for years to come.
In fairness to others, too soon to automatically throw in Jesse Motlop, but x-factor and superior disposal and vision will make him hard to ignore.
Parks I have lower in the pecking order, but is a workhorse who may benefit from improved structures and be a solid piece of the puzzle if given the opportunity.
Similarly Boyd was drafted and retained for a reason, superior disposal and the ability to genuinely defend may force him in to a role by definition.
Williamson, a fallen fav for me. Only flaw is his propensity to bite off more than he can chew. Misses because of the availability of others rather than his shortcomings. Please release him to a wing in the twos to give the chance of broadening his repertoire.
Mirkov is more mature and closer to the side than people think. Clearly third banana to start, but capable of making a case through the season.
McDonald, the forgotten man. Has played 80 plus games at the level. Did nothing wrong in his couple of games, and we may be very wrong assuming Young is in front of him.
Setterfield is the conundrum. Was tracking beautifully in 2020, but fell from grace last season. Groin issues and being played out of position derailed 2021, but his desire has to be questioned. Laconic or lacks intent? Another one time favourite for me, hard to see pushing a couple out.
Cottrell athletic and competitive beast probably lacking the game sense and skills to keep some of the young guns pushing for a spot behind him. We know we get 100% so has some love.
Akuei has great potential, and massive upside, but probably the one player on the list I would consider unlikely to be sighted in the best 22 in ‘22, but I am so very excited to see him develop through the year.

I am sick of the naysayers knocking the list. Cannot see us not playing footy in September.
Accurate and well written. Short and to the point for each player.

3 only

Damn spammer!

First Selected - Pittonet, need him selected for TDK replacement if something happens in the lead up to the game. Unlikely to be the substitute.

McGovern - can fill in the tall role up forward or down back.

Newman - for his work off half back, he could also slip into the wing role if needed.

Curnow - inside grunt and can put him up forward if one of our smalls goes down.

Most likely some of these players will make the starting 22 with Docherty and Cuningham unlikely for Rd 1. There is a raft of players that I could easily have selected. Next best for me would include O'Brien, Fogarty, Williamson, Setterfield, Owies. Some of the remaining younger players would definitely benefit with some continuity in the VFL before bringing them into the AFL.

But, genuinely

Yep. We've all had reason to be negative here over my time here, but the logical is to be positive now.

I used to have many many players i didn't want picked on a Thursday night......then i used to have quite a lot of players i didn't want picked on a Thursday night.....then i had several players i didn't want picked on a Thursday night.....then i had a few players i didn't want picked on a Thursday night.....now, i just have a couple i would be kinda scratchy about being picked ahead of others, but largely.......we are pretty much deckchair free and very raw kid free.

*Gee i wish ALL selection was still on a Thursday night still lol

I haven't got any boogeymen left around that i dread getting picked. Just a bunch of quality players in and nearing their prime, a big bunch of 20-24yo's competing to be the "make-it's" and the "not quite make-it's", some exciting youth under this, and some required depth players.

Not saying it's a Grand Final team/list, not saying it's not a Grand Final team/list, but i am saying it's a quality list that can now compete with everybody. With the next 6 years only presenting upside growth.

We have a whole new coaching panel, which shouldn't be underestimated. I know Carlton peeps are out of patience but a completely new coaching list is almost unprecedented i would think. It would have been great if this list was going in with either a successful 3rd year Teague or Voss regime, but that didn't turn out to be.

If it clicks quickly, which it can, this year will be exciting. If it takes a while to meld, i'm a bit more patient than most and next year we should be better set to go again.

But the list build has been completed. We started in the absolute pits. Stuck to the tasks through all the predictable heavy seas, rode the bumps, and have come out the other side with a finally competitive AFL quality list.

Go Vossy and Hansen and Clarke and Hamill and O'Keefe and Power.....and go Russell. The final piece of the cake is the players realising that they are in the fair dinkum part of the comp now and not the play area at the bottom and start doing the offield and onfield requirements that make Russell's job doable(combined with some luck).

Who is the one player listed here (not likely to get voted into EMG/26) that you are most surprised with not being in the 22, and why?

Matt Owies for me. Was in my forwards group and likely to be there R1 as an incumbent (esp with Eddie gone). Not flashy and not quite a dynamic small forward but reliable and consistent plus still learning/developing to boot.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2022 Carlton Consensus Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back