Autopsy 2022 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Apologies for intruding. You guys will be back. Great season from the Swans, I believe they just met a team on the day who were hell bent on burying their finals demons.

You guys will be back on top next year.
Fair play mate, enjoy the spoils, you thoroughly deserved the win

So if we were offered at the start of the year that we’d make the GF but get flogged, would we have taken it. I say yes !

2020 - 16th
2021 - 7th
2022 - 2nd

The optimist in me says we learn from this and go one better in 2023, but the pessimist in me says this team is scarred like 2007 Port, 2017 Adelaide, 2019 Giants.

Only time will tell I guess.

Sick of losing Grand Finals when it seems like we had a really, really good chance. 3 in a row wasted. ~Sigh.

At the end of the day at least we're not North Melbourne or the bombers.

Now let's have a really good trade period and improve our list.

Bad luck Swans supporters. It was one of those days where almost everything went my team’s way.

I have so much respect for the swans and actually think of them as my second team. I lived in Sydney for a long time and found myself at the scg cheering them on in the 90s and noughties. I was in George street in 2005 cheering the team for their first flag in 70 odd years. It was epic and the crowd were fantastic. No wonder the nrl are constantly shitting bricks.

The culture of our two teams in the last 20 years is the difference with other teams. I have no doubt the swans will be up there next year.

As someone still feeling the pain from last week, really feel for your boys today. Geelong have been exceptional, and I admit I was confident it was just due to an easy end of season. But they proved the past couple of weeks that wasn't the case. You guys had a fantastic season and congrats on reaching the finals. Be proud of your team today, regardless of what the scoreboard says. See you next season.

Still no idea how we pulled 2012 off, I reckon 30 things needed to go right for us that game and it did. We slotted about 3 pretty tough goals from 50 that day, and the Hawks were inaccurate.

Today, 50 things went wrong for us.

clarko learned from that game not to start buddy as a full forward. They learned having buddy kick 8 shots for 4 goals 3 or 3 goals 4 wasn’t the answer.

buddy became a great winger who could set up team mates. We never tried this before today and we actually tried this in the last quarter today. better late than never I guess

So if we were offered at the start of the year that we’d make the GF but get flogged, would we have taken it. I say yes !
I say ‘no’. I can take a loss if it was competitive or it can be used as a springboard for next year - this was neither. It has potentially set us back and was humiliating to boot.

Logan wouldn't have made a difference today. A fully fit Reid wouldn't have made a difference.

Our kids just got beaten by mature, experienced bodies.

Warner, Fox, Parker, Mills, rowwy and Stephens hold your chins up.

strangely a fit Reid may have evened up the extent of agility and centre square dominance that was the starting point of our undoing.

but the way Hawkins just killed hickey suggests that Reid would have suffered the same experience in our back fifty.

the absolute pantsing we got in the centre square meant we were always on the back foot

Honestly, when all is said and done, I agree. I'm very proud we even got here to begin with. I had fun this week. I'd rather be there in the last week of September than not even if we lose. As painful as a grand final loss is... I'd rather feel something than feel nothing at all. And if we weren't there we'd have nothing to watch this week.

Well done swans. You let us down big time this grand final. BIGTIME. Pretty please, for ****s sake, improve, grow some balls, make the big dance again next season and ****ing win it.👍🏻 🔴⚪🔴⚪🔴⚪🔴

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Warner and Fox were unbelievable today.

Fox beat Cameron IMO. Pretty massive effort given I'd say he's the Cats' best player.

Warner didn't stop, and was comfortably our best player. He'll win a Norm Smith one day.

I say ‘no’. I can take a loss if it was competitive or it can be used as a springboard for next year - this was neither. It has potentially set us back and was humiliating to boot.

this.

I will remember this day as the day I had great seats to watch my team play the Washington generals to the Harlem globetrotters.

I will not have any positive memories of this day at all and both my kids left before three quarter time. And I’d checked out after mccartins kick.

OR he could get himself into the gym from Monday and come back to preseason looking bigger, stronger & tougher than a second year sociology student.
He’ll continue to strengthen.

But for as long as we just continue to look for Buddy (who has become probably THE worst mark in the AFL), Logan isn’t going to truly flourish.

Even after 2016 I managed to watch the game up to 3 quarter time on replay just to see whether the umpiring was as bad as I remember.

sitting here watching welcome to Wrexham as pure escapism tonight. Like an effin nightmare that I need to just avoid thinking about.
I don't think I'll be digesting any footy coverage for 6 months.

I'll never watch a minute of today I reckon.

We built a game around forward half pressure.

We made it to the GF off the back of that game plan.

Then we select a truck, a cripple and a 35 year old.

Sorry - but it irks me.
Doesn't matter how slow or fast you are in the forward line if the ball never gets in there in the first place. Field position was dominated by Geelong all game and the ball barely left our defensive half of the ground. Whilst I agree with your points about the forward selections they barely had a chance to (1) get the ball; or (2) do anything with it. I wouldn't exactly call Will Hayward slow although he barely had any space to operate in neither did Papley as they were monstered by Geelong pressure.

Full kudos to Geelong players as their pressure intensity was next level good today and for whatever reason the Swans players wasn't.

It's clear a few more pre seasons are required in the gym to match it with other more experienced midfield brigades. Very sad to see Hickey monstered by a team traditionally viewed as being weak in the ruck department. His opponent continually ran underneath the ball drop to block him from leaping and I didn't see any plan B being used by Hickey to get there first and modify his style. The result was Geelong clearance after clearance after clearance.

Bitterly disappointing result getting completely flogged in the grand final and even worse was never appearing to be in the contest. The team has not been so comprehensively outplayed over the past few years and it's devastating to occur on the biggest stage of all.

Hoping that a few prudent trades can improve the team over the off season. McCartin forward was trialled today and another KPD could allow him to be swung forward more often. We need more key position players across each line on the field. Another ruckman would be nice albeit they seem to have nominated other clubs already those that are on the move. Can these inside / outside young mids turn into a contested beast or does that need to be drafted?

Swans usually don't announce news until after their season is over and I look forward to hearing what changes may be made to the list shape moving forwards.

I'm proud of the advances Sydney have made in 2022 and I look forward to seeing what they can bring next year and beyond. Go Swans!

2020 - 16th
2021 - 7th
2022 - 2nd

The optimist in me says we learn from this and go one better in 2023, but the pessimist in me says this team is scarred like 2007 Port, 2017 Adelaide, 2019 Giants.

Only time will tell I guess.

Sick of losing Grand Finals when it seems like we had a really, really good chance. 3 in a row wasted. ~Sigh.

At the end of the day at least we're not North Melbourne or the bombers.

Now let's have a really good trade period and improve our list.
Brisbane with Dunkley, Richmond with Hopper and Taranto seem the favourites to take it up to Cats next year.
We'll be considered amongst the next rung of chances preseason IMHO.

Even after 2016 I managed to watch the game up to 3 quarter time on replay just to see whether the umpiring was as bad as I remember.

sitting here watching welcome to Wrexham as pure escapism tonight. Like an effin nightmare that I need to just avoid thinking about.

I switched off when I saw Chris Scott celebrating when there was 8 minutes to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

Back