News 2022 leadership team named

Remove this Banner Ad

I like it.

Back to the traditional 3 man leadership group.
The way it should be done. Although didn’t it use to be captain, vice and deputy?

Two vice co captains seems strange but I can handle that because at least it’s not two co captains. That’s just embarrassing to me.

Last edited:
Interesting to read Selwood became skipper at 23 years old. Hopefully in a couple years' time we have blokes like Holmes, Stephens, De Koning, pushing for leadership roles.
I’m hoping next year it’s still three men but Selwood retired, Stewart (c) and Henry in!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Too old. Can't see the point of having a captain for 1 to 2 years, when you can appoint one for 6 or 7.

If this is Selwood's last season as captain, who are we appointing as captain for 6 or 7 years starting next season?

Stewart will be 30 at the start of next season, so if it's him you're thinking of, he might only be a 3 or 4 year captain. The club might look at Dangerfield for a year or 2, and then someone like Henry as a long term option starting when he's 25 or so

Too old. Can't see the point of having a captain for 1 to 2 years, when you can appoint one for 6 or 7.
Ling was captain for two years, and I consider him the best Geelong captain I've ever seen. I'm not saying Danger will be just as good, but I do think leadership is mostly an organic thing and from the outside Danger seems to have some pretty good qualities about him. Like he knows when to just make a joke of something and when to be serious, when to advocate for others, when to fight for the team and when to let things go. I'm just surprised some seem to dismiss him as a possible successor to Joel.

Ling was captain for two years, and I consider him the best Geelong captain I've ever seen. I'm not saying Danger will be just as good, but I do think leadership is mostly an organic thing and from the outside Danger seems to have some pretty good qualities about him. Like he knows when to just make a joke of something and when to be serious, when to advocate for others, when to fight for the team and when to let things go. I'm just surprised some seem to dismiss him as a possible successor to Joel.

Ling was solid but can't put him ahead of Harley.

Regarding Dangerfield, I think he's the wrong type of player. For one thing he's too old, and for another he's a selfish player. Does not strike me as the selfness team first type at all.

And as others have said, Stewart might be able to hold the job for 4-5 years.

Ling was solid but can't put him ahead of Harley.

Regarding Dangerfield, I think he's the wrong type of player. For one thing he's too old, and for another he's a selfish player. Does not strike me as the selfness team first type at all.

And as others have said, Stewart might be able to hold the job for 4-5 years.
So you think Danger shouldn't be in the leadership group at all then?

Danger just appears too self centered. Whether that's just perception or reality I don't know for sure. Only those inside the club would know that.

Realistically they're never going to do that. I'd have Hawkins ahead of him, but ideally you wouldn't want anyone who only has a year or two left.
Yeah, who knows. Hawkins may have been approached but declined the additional responsibilities perhaps? I don't agree with you about age and tenure though. Whoever is the natural leader should have the job for however long they can do it for. Players careers are too short as it is. Why deny yourself the leadership of someone who may have at least 10 years experience behind them, just because you want continuity for the next 4-5?

The fact he's VC suggests that's just a gross outside misperception.
Is it though? Huge difference between giving someone a VC position and actually being captain of the club. I seriously doubt the club would give him the captains role. IMO he gets the VC role because of his standing, not his selfless leadership abilities.

Where's the future leaders? Why is Joel captain, I'm not sure he's in our best 22, where were the hard conversations last year, that were had with Bartel, Johnson, Chapman and Kelly???
Tom Stewart is 28, where is a 24 year old being groomed to take over, the club is turning it's back on how successful leadership was done from 06 to when Joel took over.

If this is Selwood's last season as captain, who are we appointing as captain for 6 or 7 years starting next season?

Stewart will be 30 at the start of next season, so if it's him you're thinking of, he might only be a 3 or 4 year captain. The club might look at Dangerfield for a year or 2, and then someone like Henry as a long term option starting when he's 25 or so
A 1-2 year time horizon is too brief, imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back