List Mgmt. 2022 List Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

Currently, pick 54 and 66 end up with the same result to West Coast. Pick 84 is just one WA pick after Fremantle's, so there seems to be very little difference between all these picks for West Coast.

Whereas for us there are 7 Vic picks from 54 to 66, and 8 Vic picks from 66 to 84... so these mean more to us than to WC.

I'll take a guess and say that WC will get pick 66 to slot ahead of Freo, but they'll send pick 77 (Vic 41) back to us (meaning we move 6 Vic picks down the order). Just like how GWS moved one pick ahead of Sydney for McKinnon.

Rhi Watt delisted, brutal :huh:

I'm guessing we decided we could only carry one inactive player?

Kate McCarthy has got a bit to say about it

With Erin McKinnon coming on & Clara back, if they did sign Rhi up for a year to rehab they didn't see a future spot for a fit Rhi which is fair enough

Strange one with Watt. AFL to pay the wage and won't take a list spot. Even if she doesn't play again, I wonder what the story is here, why not keep her around the club? Sounds like an off-field role isn't on the table either. Hopefully doesn't hurt the vibe at the club. Would it be something to do with the replacement player's contract, maybe wanting someone longer term?

Great to have Clara back. This should be included as one the great marks so far in AFLW, but instead I still can't believe the umpire didn't pay this a mark! Held it all the way to a concussion...

It's tough for Rhi but given her age and the knee injury, she was always a long shot to stay on the list. She has been a brilliant person for setting up the culture we are building. That will be tough to replace.

But if we felt we could only carry 1 player on the inactive list (or who is uncertain for the next season), we made the right choice with her being the one to let go.

Strange one with Watt. AFL to pay the wage and won't take a list spot. Even if she doesn't play again, I wonder what the story is here, why not keep her around the club? Sounds like an off-field role isn't on the table either. Hopefully doesn't hurt the vibe at the club. Would it be something to do with the replacement player's contract, maybe wanting someone longer term?

Great to have Clara back. This should be included as one the great marks so far in AFLW, but instead I still can't believe the umpire didn't pay this a mark! Held it all the way to a concussion...

It's tough for Rhi but given her age and the knee injury, she was always a long shot to stay on the list. She has been a brilliant person for setting up the culture we are building. That will be tough to replace.

But if we felt we could only carry 1 player on the inactive list (or who is uncertain for the next season), we made the right choice with her being the one to let go.
A shame. She was my favourite player at the saints.

Trade period concludes at 3pm tomorrow. Eagles yet to trade either of the Kelly sisters.

Five spots left, we assume Kelly takes one. Did delisting Watt give us an extra draft pick to use? Maybe we want to draft another kid instead of a post draft replacement signing??

National---16--54--66--84--102
Vic----------7--29--36--44---54

I'm not sure that the Eagles would take a token pick for Grace. Maybe we're waiting to see what the Crows cough up for Niamh, they can't afford to lose any of their first three (late) picks. And if the Eagles accept a late-late pick (96+) for Niamh, they can take a late pick from us for Grace. The Crows might only give up an early pick if a pick comes back (77).

Not left with much of a draft hand. But we do already have a youngish list (14 of 26 players 23 years or under), so we've done well adding four bigger bodies.

National picks 16, 66, 84, 102.
Victoria picks 7, 36, 44, 54.

Four spots left. I thought there was a three player minimum to be drafted, but we only drafted two last season. Not sure where the rules are for this.

Sofia Hurley tipped to be around our first pick. Sandy B&F. Tackling machine and consistent accumulator.

Who knows what will happen after our first pick?

Watt off to Melbourne. A bit of a sour taste in the mouth about this. I can only think that we want an extra long term draftee, not a one year replacement. Probably the right move, and hopefully Rhi sees that. Just stings, and many taking it badly.

Watt off to Melbourne. A bit of a sour taste in the mouth about this. I can only think that we want an extra long term draftee, not a one year replacement. Probably the right move, and hopefully Rhi sees that. Just stings, and many taking it badly.

It's tough but they wanted the sport to become more elite. If we already know we have moved past her and secured a replacement that fits our age profile better, it makes sense not to string her along for 12 months.

Who is taking it badly?

McCarthy and social media.

Having said that, there are many disgruntled fans from every club upset about losing players. It happens.
I wouldnt worry about disgruntled fans on social media. Most have no idea about how the expansion process has worked or realise that most clubs (especially the lower sides) have all taken significant hits this year. The AFL has done such a poor job at communicating it to the average fan so you cant expect them to know either. And I know Rhi hasn't left due to that process but that's why we have lost so many players overall, so adding her on top of that list makes it seem worse overall that it actually is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not left with much of a draft hand. But we do already have a youngish list (14 of 26 players 23 years or under), so we've done well adding four bigger bodies.

National picks 16, 66, 84, 102.
Victoria picks 7, 36, 44, 54.

Four spots left. I thought there was a three player minimum to be drafted, but we only drafted two last season. Not sure where the rules are for this.
They changed it last year, I believe, to allow teams to pass with their third pick. Previously, you could only pass with a live pick once you had already taken three players. It's a minimum of three choices taken into the draft.

I've done a bit of number crunching on the lists and, right now, I think the draft looks like it's going to be around 85 players (48 of them Victorian). Pick 102 would come in to 83 (46 Victorian) if nothing changes. I'm still thinking there's a decent chance that somebody gets signed as a DFA so that pick doesn't get used.

EDIT: Roos delisted one more player than I was expecting. That means pick 90 is live for them, pushing St Kilda's last pick back one spot.

Sofia Hurley tipped to be around our first pick. Sandy B&F. Tackling machine and consistent accumulator.

Who knows what will happen after our first pick?
I'm not at all certain Hurley's still there. She won the 2k at the combine. Her stats are right up there with the best of them at both NAB League and champs level. Hawthorn has to take at least one KPP for any of the top mids to slip to pick 16. It's definitely possible, but I'd caution against getting too attached to the idea.

The later picks are so late that I'm expecting mature-agers. Any juniors at that point are going to be real long-odds types. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Southern Saint taken in there, but I said that last year and they passed on pick 36.

This is the best result for everybody. Keeping Watt around through an injury only to delist her once she'd recovered would also have had a negative reaction. Melbourne has 3 young rucks (Campbell, Caris, Gillard) that Watt can mentor and then potentially move into the coaching space following this season. I'd be very surprised if they're bringing her on with a view to having her play a lot in 2023.

Last edited:
They changed it last year, I believe, to allow teams to pass with their third pick. Previously, you could only pass with a live pick once you had already taken three players. It's a minimum of three choices taken into the draft.

I've done a bit of number crunching on the lists and, right now, I think the draft looks like it's going to be around 85 players (48 of them Victorian). Pick 102 would come in to 83 (46 Victorian) if nothing changes. I'm still thinking there's a decent chance that somebody gets signed as a DFA so that pick doesn't get used.

EDIT: Roos delisted one more player than I was expecting. That means pick 90 is live for them, pushing St Kilda's last pick back one spot.

I'm not at all certain Hurley's still there. She won the 2k at the combine. Her stats are right up there with the best of them at both NAB League and champs level. Hawthorn has to take at least one KPP for any of the top mids to slip to pick 16. It's definitely possible, but I'd caution against getting too attached to the idea.

The later picks are so late that I'm expecting mature-agers. Any juniors at that point are going to be real long-odds types. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Southern Saint taken in there, but I said that last year and they passed on pick 36.

Yeah, Hurley isn't exactly under the radar hehe. I just hope we can pick someone of high potential. What are your thoughts on taking Friend at pick 4 last season?

From what I can find about the number of draft picks:

"As has been the case for the last couple of years, clubs will have at least three selections in the draft. If they choose, they can pass on their final selection (or two) and selected an undrafted free agent from another state."

So it seems that one day there could be a minimum of only a single pick taken, if that club wants to take two undrafted FAs from another state. I guess for us last year it was taking Cutting from SA.

I have us at 26 players, but the AFLW have been publishing us as only having three picks, so I don't know what's going on there. Maybe we've already sent word that we're picking someone else up outside the draft? Then there's Patrikios surely going on the inactive list.

286580294_3214210148843686_3940463445500329839_n.jpg

Yeah, Hurley isn't exactly under the radar hehe. I just hope we can pick someone of high potential.
I have confidence in the people selecting - particularly with early picks. Their track record is good. I'm still hopeful that Hawthorn take a couple of talls with their earlier picks since they don't have a lot of them. The fact that they traded out of Vic pick 9 I choose to see as a positive. If I had to guess somebody, I'd probably guess Hurley - but these things so rarely go as expected. Speaking of which...

What are your thoughts on taking Friend at pick 4 last season?
It was marginally earlier than I expected, but that was partly because traditional media started hyping up the inside mids. I've always been a fan. You can always win me over with a strong left boot. Richards was the one that surprised me. Well, the pass was what really surprised me.

From what I can find about the number of draft picks:

"As has been the case for the last couple of years, clubs will have at least three selections in the draft. If they choose, they can pass on their final selection (or two) and selected an undrafted free agent from another state."

So it seems that one day there could be a minimum of only a single pick taken, if that club wants to take two undrafted FAs from another state. I guess for us last year it was taking Cutting from SA.
I may very well have this wrong, but my recollection is that it used to be you could only pass with your last pick, but they changed it so you could pass on your last two if you had four or more picks. West Coast passed twice either last year or the year before and, up until then, I had no idea that was even an option, but they said it was a rule change on the coverage.

I have us at 26 players, but the AFLW have been publishing us as only having three picks...
Don't worry about that. You're right and they're wrong. I don't think they're actually crunching the numbers. I think they're just giving the picks each team has up to round 5 (or whatever it is). Last year, they didn't give a properly updated draft count until really close to the draft. Days, if memory serves me correctly.

My guess is back at 85 picks thanks to McCarthy, which pushed the Saints last two picks up one each. That isn't completely accurate right now either, though. I'm taking an educated guess that a few clubs will either delist or deactivate players to activate picks that I think are too good to just let evaporate. Collingwood, Richmond and the Bulldogs all have to make more changes before the draft, since they're over 27 players. I believe all three can just deactivate long-term injured players, though.

What are your thoughts on taking Friend at pick 4 last season?
I think Friend is someone who could take a huge step forward in this upcoming season. She was still at school in Ballarat for the majority of the preseason so she missed that development time. Hopefully we just play her from rd1 this time and settle her into a spot.

From memory, she was rated the best tall right? Adding a tall who is a great mark and has strong foot skills would look a lot better if our 2 gun mids didnt miss last season.

I cant say Im enamored with the poachathon that's been happening around the place.

Yeah I wasn't happy losing TLR and Phillips, but in hindsight every club had to give up players or else lose their first round pick. Maybe we let them go with our blessings? Expansion has been a pain but that's it for now, it might be a few years away from the next one (Tas/NT).

bit hard to keep track of what's happening with the team. whens the draft again?

29th of June. Pre-season training starts Monday! But some players have taken on extra training during the break which is great to see.

Signed for AFLW Season 7

• Alice Burke
  • Lucy Burke
  • Leah Cutting
  • Rosie Dillon
  • Nat Exon
  • Ella Friend
  • Caitlin Greiser
  • Darcy Guttridge
  • Bianca Jakobsson
  • Jess Matin
  • Molly McDonald
  • Rebecca Ott
  • Georgia Patrikios
  • Hannah Priest
  • Ash Richards
  • Renee Saulitis
  • Kate Shierlaw
  • Tyanna Smith
  • Jayde Van Dyk
  • Olivia Vesely
  • Tarni White
  • Nicola Xenos

RE Patrikios - The club has also retained All-Australian Georgia Patrikios for Seasons 7 and 8, however her availability and contract terms are contingent upon changes to current AFL mandates. This situation will be closely monitored as the situation progresses.

All 26 players locked and loaded for Season 7. The contracts lengths went pretty much as expected. I frowned at White only signing for 1 year, but maybe that came from the club if they're worried about her double ACLs.

RE Patrikios - The club has also retained All-Australian Georgia Patrikios for Seasons 7 and 8, however her availability and contract terms are contingent upon changes to current AFL mandates. This situation will be closely monitored as the situation progresses
Season depends on this. Without her we lack that point of difference class in the midfield that other clubs will have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back