Autopsy 2022 Round 1 - Blues BEAT the Tigers. The drought is over!

Who played well for the Blues in Round 1 vs the Tigers

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I was dead against us recruiting him, I just didn't want those aholes from the hanger getting a leg up.
He's as consistent as Walsh, he does so many inspirational team lifting things every week, he is a gun an absolute jet.
Saad is worth every cent

No one can convince me otherwise

He can have Jones' money

Yeah Jones money should relieve any potential cap issues we might have had.

I think the GWS boys (especially Setterfield) joined on pretty massive money originally. So they got overs for a few years - hopefully they won't mind getting unders for a few years too.

Marchbank comes out of contract this year. You'd think he'll be on rookie list type money at that point. Charlie Curnow will be looking at haircut unless he can do something amazing between now and the end of next season.

I'm a little perplexed how on 'other' boards are seeing our game style and speculating that it won't hold... not a chance for premiership contention blah blah. Yes early days... but wasn't Richmonds game plan of 2017-2019 based off basically keeping in touch with their opponent for the first 3 quarters and then blowing them away in the 4th???

Last edited:
I'm honestly so confused whenever I hear people talk about Saad not being a good defensive player in the past.

My opinion from watching him over the years is that he is excellent defensively...with his speed almost no forward can get away from him and he does run down chase tackles.

I feel like that article Essendon released when he decided to join us, where they basically slandered him as not wanting to so the defensive stuff to make it look like no big loss cause they were in turmoil with him fantasia and danniher all walking out, has actually swayed peoples opinion of him which is disappointing.

100%.

Before that I never heard a word about his defensive efforts. After that nobody in the media can mention his name without saying "we know he's had his defensive issues in the past" as if it were gospel. Never seen any bit of data / analysis presented to back it up by the way.

Yeah - actually the bloke's no good.

I'm a little perplexed how on 'other' boards seeing our game style won't hold... not a chance for premiership contention blah blah. Yes early days... but wasn't Richmonds game plan of 2017-2019 based of basically keeping in touch with their opponent for the first 3 quarters and then blowing them away in the 4th???

Yeah a game plan based around dominating contested ball and high pressure (especially in the forward line) will never hold up in finals.

I'm a little perplexed how on 'other' boards seeing our game style won't hold... not a chance for premiership contention blah blah. Yes early days... but wasn't Richmonds game plan of 2017-2019 based of basically keeping in touch with their opponent for the first 3 quarters and then blowing them away in the 4th???
We have arrived , the panic has set in to the oppo supporters, it's ****ing fantastic isn't it 👍😊👍

Awesome start to the season for the boys. System, intent, mids and defense were the stand outs for me and pretty much everyone bobbed up to do their bit.

Not going to mention the good players, they were obvious.

LoB stood out as not having a great game but think he should be afforded more goes at it to see if he settles.

Charlie was quiet but at this point just want him to get through games. Think there's some head space issues there and fair enough, more games under his belt and this should melt away.

Setters was unobtrusive but bit a couple of nice things.

Jack M was pretty much unsighted until the game was there for the taking and then did things that were uplifting. would love 4 quarter input from him.

Harry was blanketed quite well.

Big Tom was quiet overall but should definitely be persisted with at the moment and I think Owies would have benefited greatly from two goals instead of two points.

Good to see half our goals were scored by mids which, apart from 2 from Durds covered our quieter forwards.

Oh one other thing, thought Saad and Williams did a good job of keeping Richmond's smaller forwards quiet. Williams in particular didn't have opportunity to show his customary dash but did the little things with a lot of close checking and maintaining accountability.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sounds more likely to be someone like Gill to present huge logistical issues?
I agree it has to be someone Gill or possibly one of the 2 coaches or maybe an umpire because I don’t see how one player from either team represents a huge logistical issue.

Listen to Pitto's interview on SEN Captain's Run this morning. He actually referenced the improvement of our current system/style compare to just "hacking it out" like we did before...
Oh ill see if I could find it.

It's so ridiculously improved and it was never a hard thing to improve either. So happy with this.

Idk how our stoppage game was ever defendable before, under 9s stuff.

He's expected to be at games, lunches, media and all facets of the game. If it was players that's a problem for us but not a logistical nightmare. Remember that it's Rohan Connolly spinning a rumour and trying to make it a massive event.

Just my take anyway.
Seriously. It's clearly a reference to a football department side of things, fixturing etc. Gill not being able to attend lunches has no logistical implications whatsoever, he can still get on the phone and do stuff.

You know what else I liked. Balta.

Not how he played or anything. But that despite Richmond clearly wanting to use him forward, they felt they had to start him back to combat our forward line. Then at half time, when we'd pulled ahead, they moved him forward to try and provide a target.

Richmond was the team having to move the magnets around. We just needed to execute our skills and it was too much for them.

Last night's game didn't really suit our tall forwards or lighter players. LOB, Fisher, Charlie, Martin and Harry were all down a bit. Richmond do have that combative pressurised game style. I don't want to drop any of them because next week it will be a different story against the dogs who play a completely different style.

I expect our tall forwards to dominate that game. Hopefully McGovern can do a job on Naughton who I think he matches up pretty well on.

So I just hope we keep the faith.

Walsh will come back and displace one of the wingers, Stocker will take Newman's spot and if those boys like Carroll, Kemp, Motlop and Philp start tearing up the VFL LOB will need to match that form in the 1s.

I love Owies but he's not quite quick enough to get away with fumbling below his knees or missing set shots. He'd be another one looking for some improvement.

You know what else I liked. Balta.

Not how he played or anything. But that despite Richmond clearly wanting to use him forward, they felt they had to start him back to combat our forward line. Then at half time, when we'd pulled ahead, they moved him forward to try and provide a target.

Richmond was the team having to move the magnets around. We just needed to execute our skills and it was too much for them.

And then they threw him into the ruck late as a desperate attempt to stop our midfield. DeKoning immediately sidestepped his leap, took the ball and hammered it forward. They hit every panic button they had.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy 2022 Round 1 - Blues BEAT the Tigers. The drought is over!

Back