List Mgmt. 2022 Senior List - The Final TWO Spots

Remove this Banner Ad

You're right.

It is a bit of a strange selection and I have been big on not taking someone from our reserves side, unless there's a standout at that level.

We did it last year with Mirkov which I didn't have a huge problem with, one I am OK with, but had we done it with two I'd have been a bit disappointed.

I wasn't sure Hayes had been that much of a standout but clearly the club disagrees and I'll back them and Will in 100%.
did you really think mirkov and boyd stood out as much as hayes has? mirkov has barely played AFL - i didnt see or hear much about boyd either - hayes on the other hand has monstered most games this year - why cant he be just another will brodie or pat lipinski

I believe that Williamson should be given a go on the wing, as he is a runner and a great kick who might do better in the open spaces than back in the last line of defence. I don`t know why he hasn`t been tried there as he is athletic enough and can take a mark, but perhaps he doesn`t work hard enough for Vossy to give him a go, but the club could at least try him there.....

Pre-Voss, looked good on the wing vs BL last round of ‘20 (?).
Is being played there at times in the VFL. Kicking goals.

Doesn't he get in trouble too often trying to get back on to his left?

Tries to either fend off (not that good at it), runs into trouble, including sometimes straight on into oppo, or gets nailed turning to his favoured left. Lacks awareness.

Needs better thought processing & less blinkers on for the left turn.

Absolutely. Was “Bevoed” always played his role (or better) when given opportunity. Seemed very good at keeping width and genuinely playing the wing role. Think of the impact Lipinski has made at Collingwood from similar opportunities at the ‘dogs.Can’t believe some of our narrow supporters, I raised the possibility that he would be a good pick up as a wing option and was berated that he ‘doesn’t play wing”. Utilised more inside recently in our twos, but absolutely a very capable wingman.

To follow up, we are clearly not enamoured by our current wing options leading to the purported Carrigan link pre MSD. Clearly he was considered, with Hayes deemed the better option. Wondering if our brain’s trust are warming to the idea we are already in the premiership mix and prefer the immediate option over the development type.

I still want Kemp and Carroll given the grounding and opportunity to play “outside” as they are/will be AFL quality players sweating on opportunity when our injuries are “under control”. If Kemp is a prospective mid, surely his tank will be in the range to present on a wing. Has the mobility, his height delivers options for link and “get out” plays. Defensive oriented wing just seems right.

I daresay the coaches are thinking we're a potential shot, but not publicly airing it. If Russell can do his job and get Weitering, McKay, Pitto, Williams and McGov ready and in good condition for the final 5-6 games. If our core midfield can stay healthy and continue doing what we've been doing in not playing anyone that's mildly sore. If we can win at least 2-3 of our next 5, we would be a threat to any team in finals.... all it takes is 1 decent quarter in a final and that ability to hold sway for the rest of the game which is something we've done a heck of a lot in the H&A. Imagine Curnow, McKay back in form, TDK whose starting to grab em playing stints forward, Weiters back with help from Young and Durdin in reserve. We could then have JSOS just using his footy brain to play where needed... we could be damn scary this final series with a full list.

did you really think mirkov and boyd stood out as much as hayes has? mirkov has barely played AFL - i didnt see or hear much about boyd either - hayes on the other hand has monstered most games this year - why cant he be just another will brodie or pat lipinski
Whether or not Boyd stood out as much as Hayes has isn't really the issue. Boyd wasn't picked from our VFL side. I have no issue with bringing in players from sides other than our own.

Mirkov was a Carlton reserves player, but was a far more speculative pick. Didn't have an issue with his selection either, he was never going to feature anywhere other than at reserve level.

Very different to Hayes who has played AFL football previously and who has reignited his career through our reserves side.

Nice work again from Austin.

Durdin is the KPD we needed in the circumstances.
Take your chance and do your job.

I’ve always liked Hayes as a footballer.
Doesn’t come with all the bells and whistles but generally makes good decisions and can be relied on with a good all round game.
The wing position is there for the taking, and it appears the club agrees …

Can't help but feel Crocker would have provided more to the 1s than Hayes especially while McKay is out.

Possibly but with McKay due back in a few weeks we should hopefully be okay for tall forwards. Our wing options on the other hand haven't been convincing all year and there is an open slot there going forward.

Can't help but feel Crocker would have provided more to the 1s than Hayes especially while McKay is out.

Crocker would be competing with Martin, Honey and Cuningham for a medium forward position, he’s not in their class.
The wing position is open with the incumbents having been given every chance this season.
It appears Hayes will now be given his …

Crocker would be competing with Martin, Honey and Cuningham for a medium forward position, he’s not in their class.
The wing position is open with the incumbents having been given every chance this season.
It appears Hayes will now be given his …
Remind me how many games have Martin, Honey and Cuningham played this year?

Possibly but with McKay due back in a few weeks we should hopefully be okay for tall forwards. Our wing options on the other hand haven't been convincing all year and there is an open slot there going forward.
From the games I have watched Hayes hasn't been playing wing in the 2s so we don't really know how he goes playing that position.

I still think that even with McKay back we need a midsized forward that can mark the ball in the side.

I daresay the coaches are thinking we're a potential shot, but not publicly airing it. If Russell can do his job and get Weitering, McKay, Pitto, Williams and McGov ready and in good condition for the final 5-6 games. If our core midfield can stay healthy and continue doing what we've been doing in not playing anyone that's mildly sore. If we can win at least 2-3 of our next 5, we would be a threat to any team in finals.... all it takes is 1 decent quarter in a final and that ability to hold sway for the rest of the game which is something we've done a heck of a lot in the H&A. Imagine Curnow, McKay back in form, TDK whose starting to grab em playing stints forward, Weiters back with help from Young and Durdin in reserve. We could then have JSOS just using his footy brain to play where needed... we could be damn scary this final series with a full list.

Shut up. Just shut up.

You had me at daresay...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was thinking today...
The whole list of MSD players picked, probably wouldn't even be looked at in the top 50+ of the national draft...
Yes, there is always that chance of a diamond in the rough, hopefully only our picks...

But... Have to give kudos to our recruiting department, they may have, tried to mitigate this by,
picking 2 positions of need KPD and Winger, with two players that knows what it takes and has played successfully at the level...

I was a bit of a What!? with the Hayes decision...
But, the more I hear about him, the more I think it was a good choice...

Was thinking today...
The whole list of MSD players picked, probably wouldn't even be looked at in the top 50+ of the national draft...
Yes, there is always that chance of a diamond in the rough, hopefully only our picks...

But... Have to give kudos to our recruiting department, they may have, tried to mitigate this by,
picking 2 positions of need KPD and Winger, with two players that knows what it takes and has played successfully at the level...

I was a bit of a What!? with the Hayes decision...
But, the more I hear about him, the more I think it was a good choice...

This might ease your mind:

Austin describes Hayes as having elite endurance and we see him as a winger or high forward.

He gives competition to Newnes/LOB/Cottrell on the wing, and Fisher/Durdin/Carroll/Martin up forward. He's arguably already ahead of a few of those players based on VFL form.

As bad as it is Weitering getting injured might be a blessing in disguise, we could very well have found Jones's replacement in Durdin.
Have a sneaky suspicion we may have gone after two wingman otherwise, and rightly so, we are bereft in that area of the ground.
I like the silver line view.
But Durdin has been top of our list since end of round 4. Would of preferred Durdin as a Jones replacement without losing Weitering for 6 weeks :(

Don’t know if it’s simply platitudes, but with Austin saying they’ve been following Durdin for ‘quite a while’, I wonder if they actually spoke to him some time ago and asked him to work on certain elements of his game in the SANFL with the potential of being picked up.

Don’t know if it’s simply platitudes, but with Austin saying they’ve been following Durdin for ‘quite a while’, I wonder if they actually spoke to him some time ago and asked him to work on certain elements of his game in the SANFL with the potential of being picked up.

IDK but think we would have been better offering up a spot as a train-on in the pre-season, if that was of interest with his life commitments.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back