Review 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

May - very good most of the year, let himself down with the Entrecote thing. 8.5/10.

Salem - had that nasty injury in rd 1 but was back in the side for three months after missing three months and didn't look himself at all. 4/10.

Harmes - a pretty standard year for him. Did a few good tagging jobs. Never really excelled that I recall but the only 'role player' who really did their job as expected across every round. 7/10.

Petracca - not as dominant as last year but still very dominant. Goal kicking very poor. 8/10.

Jackson - never took to the third fwd role he played last year, stalled with the ball in the air but still a freak with the ball at ground level. A decent season for a young ruck. Expect him to request the trade on Monday. 5/10.

Viney - had a few dominant games, led well when Gawn missed a couple, but didn't stand up a great deal in my eyes. Hard to know what to make of him, he's a really good mid but he's not much better than he was eight years ago. 7/10.

Lever - he was very, very lucky that May and Petty were so good. He just never grew into the season after his early injuries. Putting the ball on the ground to end the game after losing the Petty safety blanket was symbolic. Talks and organises a lot. 4.5/10.

Spargo - the quintessential "looks good when the team is flying" type of player because he's never going to get on the end of the ball unless we use it intelligently and we just didn't for a lot of the year. Had a few good games, lots of quiet ones, a victim of the system. 5.5/10

Brayshaw - amazing at half back, great in the midfield early, faded after going H2H vs Neale and struggled in both finals. Should have played HB tonight. 8/10.

Gawn - never looked right after the ankle blew up, but as we have all year we brought an injured guy back too early. Had a good first half of the year, a very average second half of the year. Appalling tonight but apparently he had a corkie? Regardless, he didn't left the boys tonight. 7/10

Oliver - what can you say, would be the greatest football ever if he kicked more goals. Kind of respect the Lions for sacrificing Berry next week to stop Oliver at all costs. Eye gouging is ****ing gross, but I guess Lyons is back next week. 9/10.

Hibberd - looked a million bucks some weeks, pretty slow the next. Impressed he came back, but don't know if he gets a gig next year. 6.5/10.

Langdon - had a good year overall but never really found his best after breaking his ribs. Worked hard, played reasonably well. Not as well as last year. 7/10.

Melksham - thanks for the Carlton game! I guess he can't help that he was picked the other 6 or so weeks that he did nothing much at all. Doesn't deserve another year. 5/10.

Rivers - deservedly dropped early, had a few good games upon return, shat the bed at the pointy end. Don't think there's much of a player there, I just don't see his individual qualities. Probably plays 150 games somewhere. Maybe here. Whatever. 4.5/10.

Hunt - when he plays within his limitations, there's a handy player. Has worked hard on his composure. Will never be elite, but he did ok. 6/10.

ANB - other teams negated him, and he helped them by thinking he was Dusty whenever he did manage to get the ball. The barometer is broken. 5/10.

Fritsch - so good, clearly crocked tonight, still a great season. 8.5/10.

Sparrow - hard to know what to say, I can see why he gets a game but I can't see what role he plays. 5.5/10.

Petty - ****ing rock for a lad his age. Play him forward FFS. Neitz reincarnated. 9/10.

Pickett - pretty sensational year despite a few poor games. Would like to see him cut some of the bad discipline out of his game, but it's also just who he is. 8/10.

Brown - looks cooked, can barely move, but he isn't helped by the game plan at all. 5/10.

Will have a crack at the other guys who didn't play today another time.

Last edited:

Agree with most of yours Tulip id probably gone harder on a few but all around the mark.
I was reluctant to be too knee jerk. Our first ever straight sets tbf, not really sure how to react to it.

Agree with most of your ratings. Sorry if off topic but I wish we had more players seasons to rate, unfortunately ignored talented kids good form and left them to rot in the 2s all year instead of giving them a go.

Agree with most of your ratings. Sorry if off topic but I wish we had more players seasons to rate, unfortunately ignored talented kids good form and left them to rot in the 2s all year instead of giving them a go.
Legit, the only other guys who played a full game are Bedford (22), Bowey (19), Tomlinson (29), Jordan (21), McDonald (30), Weideman (lol), Dunstan (27), Mitch Brown (32) and Joel Smith (26).

We used 31 players all season, with Turner and Chandler playing a quarter each to make 33.

Expectations were high, that's granted. However we didn't evolve to get better, whilst other teams did.

We had a number of players down on 2021 form for the whole year which didn't help. And then we had the gameplan (Method) which didn't change at all, when it really needed to.

We need to change how we enter the forward 50, as well as some personell. Brown out, Rivers out, obviously Jacko out, and Sparrow out as well. Being JVR in, keep Bowey, don't get Grundy, get any back up ruck, even Weid, until we develop another.

If nothing else, just please change the boring predictable gameplan. Keep the defensive aspect and change how we go forward.

Need Johnny Karate visceral ratings and comments
May - let a reception desk get past him

Salem - I’d chuck him off the Westgate to see if he floats

Harmes - if he spent more time playing football rather than having big teeth he might go alright

Petracca - it’s like that classic saying goes: soft mind=soft fibula

Jackson - pathetic finals series, will fit right in at Freo

Viney - let it sink in that Gary Rohan has had more of a positive impact on the 2022 finals than this bloke

Lever - it’s like that old adage goes: shit moustache=worse ankles

Spargo - our best kick inside 50… and he has to torp it to get 15 metres

Brayshaw - good hbf, poor wingman, shithouse inside mid and excellent contract negotiations terrorist.

Gawn - why handball it off when you can drastically overrate your own kicking ability?

Bedford - more like shit the bedford

Oliver - I don’t want to say that he deserved to have his thumb kicked off and his eye poked out, but, get a haircut or wear some sort of Tuckerbag costume.

Hibberd - time to shoot this pig

Langdon - Clangdon

Laurie - couldn’t even get a game, useless prick

Bowey - if you can’t get a game in front of that useless campaigner Salem there must be something wrong with you

Melksham - the last teammate that punched Steven May was delisted. Hint hint.

Rosman - probably the best player on our list

Tomlinson - slow and useless

Van Rooyen - probably the reason we lost in straight sets. Prick.

Howes - his name reminds me of Jeremy Howe. Delist.

Jordon - delist so we can draft other AFL live Premiership Edition regen Jeffrey Matthewson

Rivers - of brown in finals

McDonald - if you’re Palio lifestyle really works why is your foot ****ed, you campaigner? PS. Oscar is better than you.

Weideman - ******

Dunstan - so shit that St Kilda cut him

Daw - sniffed the wind and knew that North Heidelberg were a better chance than us. Smart man. Probably the best player we’ve ever recruited from North.

Hunt - thick and not so fast

ANB - fee fi fo fumble I’m about to get pinged htb again to make JK grumble.

Fritsch - selfish campaigner. Back to Coldstream 2s.

Sparrow - South Australian and stupid. Incredible that he isn’t playing for Port, have the surname Cornes or representing Family First in the Senate.

Baker - not convinced that he isn’t some character that Jayden Hunt plays using heavy makeup

Deakyn Smith - who?

Petty - just make him the club

Pickett - “”

Chandler - maybe has a career in podcasting because he’s no good at footy.

M Brown - the best KF on our list. He’s dreadful.

Woewodin - please trade to Collingwood in controversial circumstances

McVee - his first name is Judd, therefore it’s only fair to assume he is a treacherous money hungry flog.

Turner - make him the club

J Smith - keep him as sub

Moniz-Wakefield - our second best key forward

Ben Brown - please drown.

I'm doubling down. This year was a year of self-sabotage, by the coach.

We mostly have the cattle but refuse to play a style that is sustainable and can win.

We pick guys out of form on reputation or because they are favourites, ignoring form and talent in the VFL.

We can win the flag next year, if we are a little bit brave and make these mostly minor changes.

May - let a reception desk get past him

Salem - I’d chuck him off the Westgate to see if he floats

Harmes - if he spent more time playing football rather than having big teeth he might go alright

Petracca - it’s like that classic saying goes: soft mind=soft fibula

Jackson - pathetic finals series, will fit right in at Freo

Viney - let it sink in that Gary Rohan has had more of a positive impact on the 2022 finals than this bloke

Lever - it’s like that old adage goes: s**t moustache=worse ankles

Spargo - our best kick inside 50… and he has to torp it to get 15 metres

Brayshaw - good hbf, poor wingman, shithouse inside mid and excellent contract negotiations terrorist.

Gawn - why handball it off when you can drastically overrate your own kicking ability?

Bedford - more like s**t the bedford

Oliver - I don’t want to say that he deserved to have his thumb kicked off and his eye poked out, but, get a haircut or wear some sort of Tuckerbag costume.

Hibberd - time to shoot this pig

Langdon - Clangdon

Laurie - couldn’t even get a game, useless prick

Bowey - if you can’t get a game in front of that useless campaigner Salem there must be something wrong with you

Melksham - the last teammate that punched Steven May was delisted. Hint hint.

Rosman - probably the best player on our list

Tomlinson - slow and useless

Van Rooyen - probably the reason we lost in straight sets. Prick.

Howes - his name reminds me of Jeremy Howe. Delist.

Jordon - delist so we can draft other AFL live Premiership Edition regen Jeffrey Matthewson

Rivers - of brown in finals

McDonald - if you’re Palio lifestyle really works why is your foot *ed, you campaigner? PS. Oscar is better than you.

Weideman - ******

Dunstan - so s**t that St Kilda cut him

Daw - sniffed the wind and knew that North Heidelberg were a better chance than us. Smart man. Probably the best player we’ve ever recruited from North.

Hunt - thick and not so fast

ANB - fee fi fo fumble I’m about to get pinged htb again to make JK grumble.

Fritsch - selfish campaigner. Back to Coldstream 2s.

Sparrow - South Australian and stupid. Incredible that he isn’t playing for Port, have the surname Cornes or representing Family First in the Senate.

Baker - not convinced that he isn’t some character that Jayden Hunt plays using heavy makeup

Deakyn Smith - who?

Petty - just make him the club

Pickett - “”

Chandler - maybe has a career in podcasting because he’s no good at footy.

M Brown - the best KF on our list. He’s dreadful.

Woewodin - please trade to Collingwood in controversial circumstances

McVee - his first name is Judd, therefore it’s only fair to assume he is a treacherous money hungry flog.

Turner - make him the club

J Smith - keep him as sub

Moniz-Wakefield - our second best key forward

Ben Brown - please drown.

lol, you know what's funny, I used that saying you used for Trac just yesterday, and its my favourite saying of all time.

Man there is some classics in there, just glad you said for Salem to get thrown off a bridge and not Daw or that would have been hella awkward.

I cant stop laughing at the Mitch Brown & James Jordon ones.

Man there is some classics in there, just glad you said for Salem to get thrown off a bridge and not Daw or that would have been hella awkward.
Changed my mind about him. Trade him. Soft as butter and happy collecting a paycheck. Bowey actually cares and puts his body on the line, and is a better kick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Solid ratings, well described, agree with most but I’d mark Trac and Brayshaw down.

Trac’s form last year lead us to the pinnacle and like Bont, he could not replicate such great heights this year.

Brayshaw, great at half back but went from the pin up boy for selflessness for the team to negotiating his way into midfield minutes for himself. Paid his dues, but I’d rate his 2022 season lower accordingly, 7/10.

I went to 11 games this year and had a 3-8 record.

Wins in Rd 1, then a grind vs North who hadn’t won a game, and a last second win against Carlton.

:$

We did well to get to 10-0 without really playing well but couldn’t get to another level when we needed to.

Opposition sides went to school on the way we played and we struggled to come up with answers. It was particularly disappointing how we would get out to decent, almost game breaking leads and fall in a big hole where we looked helpless to stop big run ons.

Offensively we looked turgid and seemed to start slowing the game down every time we got a 3-5 goal lead which played into the opposition’s hands.

Our midfield looks pretty shit when Oliver and Petracca aren’t pulling out superhuman efforts and we were either unwilling or unable to pressure the opposition ball carriers as well as we did last year.

The back 6 suffered a bit in terms of continuity and form but I think moving Brayshaw from HB was arguably Goodwin’s biggest mistake. We need a Hibberd replacement as a lockdown small and hopefully Turner, a reinvigorated Tomlinson, perhaps J Smith or a trade allows us to throw Petty forward more often in 23.

The forward line was a Dog’s breakfast. We lacked bite outside of Pickett and Fritsch. We lacked structure when Tom McDonald went down. Ben Brown was as woeful as our delivery inside 50. We were awfully inefficient and at times were backsliding to the worst of 17-20 where we would have the ball up our end for long periods, flood our forward line, score bugger all and watch haplessly as the opposition counterpunched effectively against the grain. Gawn is not a forward. Melksham worked in the same way paper does over huge plaster fissures. While they aren’t world beaters are ANB’s and Spargo’s roles/output enough given that we tend to struggle to get goals from our mids? The fact that Petty and JVR weren’t even tried is a monument to stubbornness. We rolled into finals with a forward line where arguably 4 of the front six were not there to score goals.

Just seems like we rolled out with the same plan, same personnel and less energy than last year. Turner being our only debutant was quite poor as was the general lack of pressure at selection. From a 10-0 start to battling to remain in the top 4 to out in straight sets was disappointing but ultimately deserved.

Wins in Rd 1, then a grind vs North who hadn’t won a game, and a last second win against Carlton.

I went to 2 games for 0-2.
Both finals
:$:$:$

Big oof
Last night was my 4th loss in a row
My last win was against Brisbane at MCG in June, that was almost 3 months ago aghhhh

We've won 2 of our last 8 at the G

Play Better at your own home ground you ****s aggggggggh

We couldn’t capitalise on our own momentum or find ways to arrest the opposition’s in 2022. In all of our losses bar Geelong we got out to decent leads only to be spanked for the rest of the game…

R11 v Freo
23 minute mark of the second we lead 6.7 to 1.7 and are then out scored 1.7.13 to 13.3.81

R12 v Sydney
1 minute into the second quarter Max Gawn puts us 26 points ahead. For the rest of the game the score reads 3.6.24 to 9.8.62

R13 v Collingwood
15 minutes into the second quarter we lead by 22 points. The score for the rest of the game is 3.5.23 to 11.5.71

R19 v Dogs
We lead 11.4.70 to 6.7.43 during time on in the second quarter. For the rest of the game we are outscored 10.7.67 to 4.6.30

R21 v Collingwood
10 minutes into the second quarter we lead 8.5.53 to 5.0.30 and look utterly dominant everywhere but the scoreboard. We are then outscored 5.6.36 to 10.6.66.

QF v Sydney
We lead by 16 points 4 minutes into the second quarter. The scoreboard reads 5.8.38 to 12.4.76 for the rest of the match.

SF v Brisbane
With 16 seconds until half time, we lead by 28 points. We are outscored 5.5.35 to 12.4.76 for the rest of the match.

In 21 we were able to find ways back into games when the opposition had momentum. The Grand Final, Round 23 at Kardinia Park, the Home and away matches against the Lions and St Kilda were testament to that. We were able to do it against mediocre opponents in 22, particularly in the first part of the season but couldn’t do it against solid opposition that would not yield. Our inefficiency going forward hurt and the defence wasn’t able to bail us out anymore.

Last edited:
May - Maybe lost some focus early but stood up big when it counted. Rarely beaten and continues to be the rock the defence is built around 8/10

Salem - Horrible season, first half ruined by injuries and was lame for the second half. Doesnt add anything to this current side. Doesnt rebound with leg speed or with kicking, isnt a great defender. What the hell is he in the side for? 3/10

Harmes - Capable of doing things our other mids arent capable of i.e marking forward, tagging etc. But seems to always be the next guy not the main man. Id rather him in centre bounces than Gus. 6/10

Petracca - Might be harsh but I thought he was well below his best most of the season. He can be the best player in the league but rarely did I think he was the best on the ground 6/10

Jackson - Very average season. Didnt progress at all and was quiet more than busy. His rucking is better than Gawns and we will miss his ground ball stuff for sure 5/10

Viney - seems to play one incredible game a season which covers for the blocks of meh footy he plays. Perfectly sums up our midfield. See ball, can get it really well but never gonna hurt the opposition outside contested footy 6/10

Lever - Injuries cruelled him, must have gone off in 5 games with bad ankle concerns. We need him back at his best because he generates scores from turnovers. 4/10

Spargo - Our best inside 50 kick statisticaly by a ****ing mile, but doesnt do anything else. If you drop him we actually get worse going inside 50 but we need someone with more impact 4/10

Brayshaw - 9/10 as a HBF absolutely loved him, 3/10 as a selfish contract clause inserting B grade mid. Would rather him have left if he wants to stay in the middle

Gawn - Had an all time prelim and I think he still thinks hes that player even though it was the exception. Needs to be more selfless and stop trying to be Darren Jarman with the footy 6/10

Oliver - Warrior, tagged heavily but always goes. Sucks he doesnt know where the forward line even is 8/10

Hibberd - Had some great games, struggled in others. Should keep for depth as we dont have many defensive defenders as stupid as that sounds 6/10

Langdon - Not the damaging player for most of the season he can be. His run and carry was non existent in second halves of games 5/10

Melksham - Mini renaissance was set to be the best story in footy, instead itll just be him flogging May in a restaurant 5/10

Rivers - Shit himself in 2 finals against Brisbane now, lost all his run and dash and teams are exposing him 1-1 on defence. I want him to move into the midfield for something different 4/10

Hunt - Meh. 5/10

ANB - I love him, but he has delisted at 27 all over him. Barely has any AFL level qualities and I think we need an injection of pace in his position or someone who can be dangerous one on one

Fritsch - Amazing how many goals he kicks in our shit system. Hes a freak. 8/10

Sparrow - Like playing Spargo in the ruck having this bloke as a permanent HFF. He has no craft in where to run for easy ball, no link up ability and doesnt tackle and pressure. No goal sense unless its from 50. 4/10

Petty - Forward please although hes a gun defender for his age 7/10

Pickett - Shows how good he is that hes already one of the best small forwards in the league at his age and people still complain about him. 7/10

Brown - **** off into retirement you weak dog. Congrats on lucking ya way into a flag now luck off into retiremen

For me, its goes back to the first half of the year- there was 3 or 4 games we got a lead and parked the bus in the last QTR which allowed teams (most of them average teams) to close the gap but we managed to hang on. The message from Goodwin and Yze to the media after these matches was "we didnt need to score to win the game"- that sentence absolutley shat me up the wall at the time, and I reckon its why we gassed 7 leads in the second half of the year and we're out in straight sets. What an awful ****ing mindset to play the game in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back