Review 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

The guys who played but didn't suit up on Friday

Bedford - up and down year not helped by sitting as the unused sub so many weeks in a row. Had a few moments (against Hawthorn in particular, if memory serves) where he looked super sharp and was rewarded with goals. Other times he couldn't get near the ball. 6/10.

Bowey - had a case of the second year blues early on and deserved to lose his spot for a while. Didn't deserve to lose it permanently, given he's one of our best and most adventurous users by foot. Being dropped after the Brisbane game was a shit decision. 5.5/10

Tomlinson - looked slow as a truck after the ACL. Played one or two handy games, but torched big time by Jamarra in what will probably be his last MFC game. He's on big coin, so if someone wants him for a few years, he's theirs. 4/10.

JJ - he has his limitations, and he slowed down as the year progressed, but I thought he made good progress. His kicking improved early, and he was running all day. As he tired, and picked up a few knocks, he returned to the safe and inoffensive player he was last season. 6.5/10

McDonald - I don't think he was that good this year, kicked 15 in 9 and was dropped at one point, but we were definitely less potent without his deep runs to connect midfield and defence and his contested marking ability. 6/10.

Weideman - lol. 3/10.

Dunstan - he pretty much did what he was brought in to do. You're not going to improve a guy who has been in the system eight years and been the same player since day dot. Thought we should have used him a few more times to rest up the big names in midfield. 6/10.

M.Brown - story of his career. Great at VFL level, too small/uncompetitive/slow at AFL level. 5/10.

J.Smith - he improved a bit, and his athleticism is nice, but he'll never amount to much at AFL level IMO. I'll cry if I see him suit up as 3rd tall forward in 2023, reminiscences of the 2018 prelim. 6/10

Goodwin - not good. Obviously ticks boxes in terms of motivating the players but in terms of strategy, well beaten by other coaches.

May - Good year defensively, consolidated his ranking as the league's best full back. Need him to be better at using the ball, and he did try and get more aggressive with his kicks the last few games (with mixed results)

Salem - A bad year, didn't offer anything when the whips are cracking. Hopefully he was troubled by the early season leg injuries and is in better shape next year if he's not traded.

Harmes - Seems to suffer from a lack of role certainty. He's a good player and often plays well but other games is just on the periphery. Should be spending more time forward.

Trac - not Dusty Martin. Learn to kick pls.

Jackson - **** off. Hope we get a gun player or two out of the trade. He'll be a star for Freo eventually

Viney - Sensational in some games but a bit unsure how long he can continue to get as many midfield minutes

Lever - Get some new ankles.

Spargo - Nowhere near enough impact. Not sure he's got the zip or the goalkicking craft to stay in the small forward role.

Brayshaw - Excellent year. Can play anywhere but still can't kick. Probably need him to return to either wing or back next year

Gawn - Hope he's booked in for 3 surgeries in the coming week because he got beaten way too often

Bedford - Got some skill and love his pace but not clean. Nobody will be too upset if he's traded

Oliver - Wouldn't trade him for anyone in the league. If he could kicke he'd be the best player in the comp by that far

Hibberd - Exceeded expectations and did a great job. Might be a good time to retire though

Langdon - Excellent until he started getting tagged. Needs a counterpart on the other wing so they can't just sit on him every week

Laurie - Next year or never

Bowey - WTF. Horrible coaching that he isn't a mainstay. For some reason the only premiership player that paid the price for a couple of down games while half the side dined out on last year's success.

Melksham - Good on him for a star turn against Carlton but it's a travesty he was in the starting 18

Rosman - Saw him do some good things in the VFL. Wouldn't be upset with him getting a 1 year extension, plenty to go before him

Tomlinson - Possible trade. If he stays he's depth cover only.

JVR - Good first year, should have played games. Gonna have a lot of pressure on him if we don't bring in an experienced tall forward

Howes - Wouldn't recognise him if he stood up in my cornflakes

Jordon - Not a winger. Will be an AFL midfielder but with his lack of pace not sure it will be for us

Rivers - Not sure he's a backman. Still got plenty of potential

TMac - Think he might retire. At his best still plays a role but he needs to be fit and healthy to play good football. Depending on what we bring in may still be best 22 if he's around next year.

Weid - Needs a remarkable career turnaround over the pre-season. No trade value and no value to the team on this year's efforts, but still contracted

Dunstan - Gone

Hunt - Given himself a chance with some decent performances as a lockdown defender. If Hibberd retires we probably should keep him, otherwise potential trade

ANB - Not sure about him now. Potentially just a very average player who played out of his skin in 2021

Fritsch - Good year in terms of goalkicking, bit some games where he puts in poor efforts. Think he would've given the Coleman a shake playing for another top 4 side

Sparrow - Wasted year. Shouldn't be playing forward and his midfield efforts doesn't warrant him being selected as pure midfielder. Trade for the right price.

Baker - Gone

Deakyn Smith - Seen him do a couple of reasonable things in VFL.

Petty - He's a gun defender. Some chance he could also be a gun forward but I'd be loathe to move him and leave Lever more exposed 1v1

Pickett - Good goalkicking year but too many quiet games. Along with Fritsch suffers from our terrible entries

Chandler - Stiff to get suspended but still should've been given more chances. Spargo got unwarranted games ahead of him.

M. Brown - Admire this guy, he's a class above VFL level. No real use for him on the list next year though

Woewodin - Some good signs. Bit worried that he won't have any standout attributes at AFL level though. Needs to become a star in the VFL to warrant selection

McVee - Does some nice things for Casey

Turner - Looks a player. Should be replacing Hibberd or Hunt in 22 next year

Joel Smith - Somehow saved his career by contributing nothing. Weirdo

Moniz-Wakefield - Got some time for him. Pretty decent first year in VFL for a lightly built speculative pick

Ben Brown - Given absolutely no chance of having a good year by our ball movement, but puts in plenty of efforts that make you want him not to be in the team. Can still kick goals and if we don't get a good mature replacement in either he or TMac is going to have to play to take the best defender away from JVR

My analysis . We stood still , others went past us . Its up to the coach to update the "Plan" . We need some players with balls running off half back . we need to be more variable than just kicking to the forward pocket . We need to drop players out of form . even if they have a "name" .
We need to be more inventive in the centre square . Why Pickett didn't start some quarters in the centre remains a mystery to me .
While i am a big fan of debuting some of our kids at Casey , some of them got injured at inopportune times .
Does not apply to Laurie or JVR .

For me, its goes back to the first half of the year- there was 3 or 4 games we got a lead and parked the bus in the last QTR which allowed teams (most of them average teams) to close the gap but we managed to hang on. The message from Goodwin and Yze to the media after these matches was "we didnt need to score to win the game"- that sentence absolutley shat me up the wall at the time, and I reckon its why we gassed 7 leads in the second half of the year and we're out in straight sets. What an awful ******* mindset to play the game in.
It's literally the way we played last year. Difference was our defensive strategy doesn't work any more with the quicker ball movement.

The signs were there early, hawks and saints both troubled us big attacking us quick.

Ooft Salem.

Yes his season was interrupted by injury, but that's awful.

Glad to see there is some statistical proof there to justify my criticism of him this year. Pathetic.

Talk on the backline, im surprised no one has brought it up in the media, but the amount of times we conceded goals letting the ball get out the back with fresh air spoils this year was incredible, no numbers to base this off but I hardly recall it happening in 2021.

It's literally the way we played last year. Difference was our defensive strategy doesn't work any more with the quicker ball movement.

The signs were there early, hawks and saints both troubled us big attacking us quick.
last year we grinded teams down then put them away in the last QTR...this year we just stopped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol , lot of back tracking and close enough is good enough hey Max....

He said he was more motivated for this year not long ago to do it in front of the home fans, now its no different to any other year. Which is it?

He said he was more motivated for this year not long ago to do it in front of the home fans, now its no different to any other year. Which is it?
How are you feeling about it all a few days later?

Well I haven't really thought about it but I guess I'll say something because you're interviewing me.

Embarrassing that the club released it.

Well I haven't really thought about it but I guess I'll say something because you're interviewing me.

Should have just been up front and said I'm too busy getting pissed to give a ****.

I kind of like his honesty, empty statements about it burning, hurting etc aren't going to change the shit end to the year we had.
But it does seem a bit complacent, arrogant even? Like winning one was enough.
Anyway, it's day one of offseason so plenty of time to switch on again.
As a lip service for the fans piece it misses the mark, would've been better off waiting and putting together something a bit more polished (especially after the shit news of Jacko).

He is a champion player but his leadership went to shit this year. Poor body language and incredibly selfish play from him which filters down to others. People cook Fritsch for not passing it when Gawn is trying to kick bananas and sending them into row Z. It’ll never happen for May and Lever is iffy but I’d much rather one of those two captain than Gawn sometimes.

He is a champion player but his leadership went to s**t this year. Poor body language and incredibly selfish play from him which filters down to others. People cook Fritsch for not passing it when Gawn is trying to kick bananas and sending them into row Z. It’ll never happen for May and Lever is iffy but I’d much rather one of those two captain than Gawn sometimes.
Club wide, all the “selflessness” and “the guys that missed out with drive us” talk really died in the arse.

For me, its goes back to the first half of the year- there was 3 or 4 games we got a lead and parked the bus in the last QTR which allowed teams (most of them average teams) to close the gap but we managed to hang on. The message from Goodwin and Yze to the media after these matches was "we didnt need to score to win the game"- that sentence absolutley shat me up the wall at the time, and I reckon its why we gassed 7 leads in the second half of the year and we're out in straight sets. What an awful ******* mindset to play the game in.
This is very true. It was said fairly smuggly at the time as well.

Agree with most of your ratings. Sorry if off topic but I wish we had more players seasons to rate, unfortunately ignored talented kids good form and left them to rot in the 2s all year instead of giving them a go.
I'm sure that next season, all players will start off as equals, after this finals campaign.
Pre-season Form, will I'm sure be the guide to the selectors at the start of 2023.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back