Review 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

That's a stretch and a half. They also finished the season on fire we were a 6-8 team.

It's because we play like s* at home. I think I was 4-6.
Read the OP. MC was talking about capitulation, as if losing to Freo like we did means we were destined to end the season badly. It wasn't that game. Every team is allowed an off day, particularly when you've got Jayden Hunt giving up 20cm to the full forward with May and Petty injured midway through. It was all the games after, the inability to bounce back, not the one game.

Read the OP. MC was talking about capitulation, as if losing to Freo like we did means we were destined to end the season badly. It wasn't that game. Every team is allowed an off day, particularly when you've got Jayden Hunt giving up 20cm to the full forward with May and Petty injured midway through. It was all the games after, the inability to bounce back, not the one game.
Huh lol it wasn't an off day, we literally repeated it like 7 times to finish the season.

Huh lol it wasn't an off day, we literally repeated it like 7 times to finish the season.
That's what I'm saying. One game doesn't mean inevitable season over. Its a cop out for the other losses.

That's what I'm saying. One game doesn't mean inevitable season over. Its a cop out for the other losses.
Oh yah didn't Richmond lose by 100 points to saints in one of the flag years? In a 23 round season you can have off days as they long as the pattern isn't repeated.

Better late than never i guess. On the other hand that he has only just realized that now is a bit worrying .
I sincerely doubt that is the case. More likely that it's difficult and risky to make wholesale changes to the gameplan mid-season. Geelong didn't overhaul their gameplan until 2021 was done.

I sincerely doubt that is the case. More likely that it's difficult and risky to make wholesale changes to the gameplan mid-season. Geelong didn't overhaul their gameplan until 2021 was done.
This is probably true, but when it was so blatantly failing over and over again why not risk it? There was never a world we won 3 games in September playing this way

This is probably true, but when it was so blatantly failing over and over again why not risk it? There was never a world we won 3 games in September playing this way
I think that's easy to say in hindsight but it's not like we were scraping into the 8, we finished top 2 and were in both finals up to our eyeballs in the last quarter. A bit of luck in either game and we make a prelim, then who knows? Don't blame the coaches that much for finishing the season steady as she goes. Will be mad if we roll out the same crap next year though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that's easy to say in hindsight but it's not like we were scraping into the 8, we finished top 2 and were in both finals up to our eyeballs in the last quarter. A bit of luck in either game and we make a prelim, then who knows? Don't blame the coaches that much for finishing the season steady as she goes. Will be mad if we roll out the same crap next year though.
We scraped into the 4 though, picketts freak goal aside we finish 5th and possibly lose an elimination final. 6-8 back end of the season and the worst record against the other top 8 sides of all finalists I think. It wasn't sustainable. While we were a live chance I wasn't gonna pack it in but we lost to Fremantle, Sydney X2 Collingwood X2 Brisbane and the Bulldogs in exactly the same bloody way mate. It was probably stupid any of us thought we could.

It was nice to hear Goodwin say the gameplan isn't sustainable on 360. We'll see what that amounts to.
From kick out bomb it long to Gawn on the wing, then bomb it long into the pocket. Repeat.

Last edited:
It was nice to hear Goodwin say the gameplan isn't sustainable on 360. We'll see what that amounts to.
He also spoke about how Geelong and Sydney are so good because of their turnover goals and forward efficiency. Maybe he's been self-flagellating.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Back