Review 2023 1st Prelim Final, Gold Coast Suns v Box Hill Hawks, 16 September 2023, 3:00pm @ Heritage Bank Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

This was a prelim mate, we've gone alright for a team with a bunch of young guys. Just look at the team we were up against, they were stacked with fringe AFL talent and have been the best team in the league all year, and we ran out alright. Plenty of players to have faith in going into next season, hopefully going a few steps further as well.
The cupboard isn’t bare, it’s just a bit dull.

The cupboard isn’t bare, it’s just a bit dull.
Ramsden, Ryan, Baz, Bennetts and Hus are all exciting prospects. Only a couple might come off but they are far from "dull".

Sure most of those fringe AFL players you listed are "dull" but give me a list of fringe AFL players that aren't. I mean the GC team we lost to is almost solely comprised of these types of guys lol

Butler hasn’t come on at all. Contracted for two more years unfortunately.

Remember his final 2 development years were 2020 and 2021. Massively interrupted.
Improved his satatiscal output in the senior side this year from last.

His brother was also a very late developer and they have similarities as players.

He's one I'm still very confident about.

Just reading this thread as I missed the game. Seems like we played ok, but were beaten by a more mature, more experienced Suns team. I’m not surprised. A couple of names I didn’t see mentioned much were Serong and Ryan. Any comments on their performance?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just reading this thread as I missed the game. Seems like we played ok, but were beaten by a more mature, more experienced Suns team. I’m not surprised. A couple of names I didn’t see mentioned much were Serong and Ryan. Any comments on their performance?

Both Serong and Ryan were quiet

Both Serong and Ryan were quiet

Cheers. Figured, but appreciated confirmation.

Hope a lot of the boys who had quiet finals series but are contracted/get recontracted come out with a fire in the belly next year. Particularly Stephens/Long/DGB. I’d give Long another year.

Great effort, as they seemed the most talented side and we kept fighting. We started very poorly, poor skill errors, and they dominate ruck and clearances, and we managed to find a way to stay in it. Looked like it would be a 10+ goal loss, so we did well to scrap and make a game of it.

Hoped to see more from Stephens and Long... thought they may have had more of an impact.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remember his final 2 development years were 2020 and 2021. Massively interrupted.
Improved his satatiscal output in the senior side this year from last.

His brother was also a very late developer and they have similarities as players.

He's one I'm still very confident about.
Butler will build his tank and get to more contests, also learn when its his turn to go.

He's been disappointing, hasn't he?

I haven't seen too many AFL attributes from his game. He has a bit of time on his side, though.

Well there should be plenty of opportunities for Him with No Wingard and Brockman not there!
Next year has to be his year to go to the next level?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Result about right not up to the 2 grand finalists but never gave up and nice for Mascitti to goal late.
For hawks midfield is only hustwaite I was strong on stephens and hoped for long but don’t see either making it now we bat deep and have to find more time for Ward and the 2 CMacs. Ramsden coming along nicely 1-2 years will be excellent. DGB fine must keep and continue to develop. Jeka I was a big defender for but he’s now indefensible he’s gone with Morris. Suspect bramble and Greene go to although credit to bramble had a great finals series and Greene such a good bloke but just not quite good enough. Liked Serong and BMac they have a future. A massive year for butler make or break for mine especially with brockman gone and wingard out. Happy with Bennetts for another 2 years as Cat B especially if we don’t get TJ. Ryan nothing more than depth. Kosi keep for a year given lack of forwards.

Result about right not up to the 2 grand finalists but never gave up and nice for Mascitti to goal late.
For hawks midfield is only hustwaite I was strong on stephens and hoped for long but don’t see either making it now we bat deep and have to find more time for Ward and the 2 CMacs. Ramsden coming along nicely 1-2 years will be excellent. DGB fine must keep and continue to develop. Jeka I was a big defender for but he’s now indefensible he’s gone with Morris. Suspect bramble and Greene go to although credit to bramble had a great finals series and Greene such a good bloke but just not quite good enough. Liked Serong and BMac they have a future. A massive year for butler make or break for mine especially with brockman gone and wingard out. Happy with Bennetts for another 2 years as Cat B especially if we don’t get TJ. Ryan nothing more than depth. Kosi keep for a year given lack of forwards.

I agree with everything, except Ryan - he might develop into more than depth. His game yesterday was a stinker but the delivery was laughable. Would have been worth giving him a run in the ruck just to get him involved.

I enjoy writing post game / season summaries and conclusions, and so…

The Box Hill Hawks (also known as the Mustangs) have concluded their season with a valiant effort, though their journey to the Gold Coast ultimately bore no fruit. Throughout the game, the Suns held the upper hand, with Moyle dominant in the ruck and Chol orchestrating most scoring in the Suns' forward line. However, this doesn't mean the Hawks were ever out of contention; quite the opposite. Box Hill's spirited players persistently challenged their more seasoned and highly regarded opponents, keeping the game competitive until the last five minutes of the final quarter when the Suns finally sealed their victory.

Regrettably, Box Hill could only exhibit flashes of their signature audacity and smooth ball movement, as the Suns effectively obstructed most avenues to the Hawks' forward line. Consequently, our team had to resort to lesser methods to push the ball forward and then scrap for goals. Surprisingly, these methods found more than a little success, narrowing the score differential to just 5 points early in the final quarter. In the end, however, the Suns emerged victorious with a 15-point margin.

It's a testament to Box Hill's team unity that no player significantly outshone the others. In his final VFL game, Damian Mascitti remained his usual reliable self, delivering exquisite kicks from half back. Callum Brown and Ed Phillips displayed unwavering dedication throughout the match, deserving praise. The potential of players like Henry Huthwaite, Joshua Bennetts, and, despite being overshadowed by Moyle, Max Ramsden, was on full display, while Kosi once again demonstrated significant improvement in his contested marking abilities.

Overall, Box Hill can take pride in their efforts this season. While a season without silverware can't be labeled a complete success, they managed to achieve many personal and team goals. Coach Littlejohn's game plan has been honed, and numerous players have acquired valuable lessons to carry into next year's campaign. For this supporter, I must say that the Box Hill Hawks provided plenty of enjoyable moments throughout the year, and I extend my heartfelt gratitude to them for the entertainment they've provided.

Last edited:
I have a suspicion that Jake Arundell will be on our list next year. Come from the clouds but quick, defensively minded but kicks goals and has composure - he used the ball well in all games. Reminds me a lot of Poppy and next year we could use someone like that.
Jake is a plucky player…. And he won a contest on the weekend against much taller opposition that he should not be able to do… which resulted in a goal. I replayed that moment because it did not make sense. Yet it happened.

But Nom,… on the Poppy comparison. Poppy was power in a pocket, not initially selected in his draft year because he literally broke his back.

I enjoy the plucky nature of Arandell

But comparing him to Poppy … whom I introduced to my wife by showing Poppy running past near 10 players to make a pressure act. My wife said, how fast is that guy.

Arundell is no Poppy!

But I like his buzz for the VFL team.

Last edited:
I have a suspicion that Jake Arundell will be on our list next year. Come from the clouds but quick, defensively minded but kicks goals and has composure - he used the ball well in all games. Reminds me a lot of Poppy and next year we could use someone like that.
We could do worse than give him a chance.

Arundell Mall would be nice.

We have plenty of smalls coming through with Bennets, O'Sullivan and maybe less so Butler (who must be the laziest looking footy player around just ahead of Jeka) so whilst I like Arundel maybe no need to take another small. Lets see how he plays out next year and we can MSD him if he's coming along.

More big tall's are the obvious so Kosi may be safe and Ryan may come good (but the jury is out on a 25 year old beanpole). Chol fits our group as can play forward and some ruck (which is all we need with Reeves and or Meek demanding big minutes when they play). I would also look around at North as they seem to have some surplus bigs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back