Review Round 3, 2024: Gold Coast Suns v Box Hill Hawks, 13 April 2024, 2.30pm @ People First Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Final margin being 43 points probably reflects the overall performance. We just looked slow and lethargic compared to Gold Coast, whose senior players absolutely tore us a new one. Sexton, Atkins, Lemmens etc. just killed us on transition all day.

Reeves was off at HT, not sure why. It was mentioned a player was on crutches. He wasn't beating Moyle but a lot of Moyle's sheer dominance came when Reeves was off.

Calsher was starved of a lot of opportunity early then had to ruck. I love his aggression - just beelines players and chases very hard. Once he builds core strength/endurance I think he'll be a presence.

Tucker has moments which are impressive but then is convincingly beaten for 5 minutes.

BMac had a poor game. Tried to go for a run early, got caught HTB and seemed to go into his shell.

Bennetts is starting to win a lot of the ball playing high half-forward. He pressures well, links well and is quite evasive. Wish he was a little bit quicker. Got clobbered late so I hope he's OK because he wouldn't be far off a senior debut.

Sully is a real live wire, sidestepping players and finding room in traffic when there normally isn't. Isn't quite strong enough yet to do it consistently and has lapses in concentration but there's an AFL quality player there.

I really love Serong's defensive work. Playing on Sam Day, he won that battle despite constant entries from their midfield dominance. Didn't really get his offensive game going but was our full-back.

Morrison was BOG for us. Very tough, accumulated, and was constantly running hard to support. I did feel he lacked impact when using the ball but that applies to basically everyone.

Cooper was similar to Morrison, except used it worse. He struggles to get separation.

Gunston played backline sweeper in the first half, and while he was OK the role allowed Gold Coast to have a spare down back that intercepted constantly. He shifted forward in the second half and kicked 2 goals, both strong leads and accurate finishes.

B. Ryan was decent. Nothing bad but no real stand out moments.

Final margin being 43 points probably reflects the overall performance. We just looked slow and lethargic compared to Gold Coast, whose senior players absolutely tore us a new one. Sexton, Atkins, Lemmens etc. just killed us on transition all day.

Reeves was off at HT, not sure why. It was mentioned a player was on crutches. He wasn't beating Moyle but a lot of Moyle's sheer dominance came when Reeves was off.

Calsher was starved of a lot of opportunity early then had to ruck. I love his aggression - just beelines players and chases very hard. Once he builds core strength/endurance I think he'll be a presence.

Tucker has moments which are impressive but then is convincingly beaten for 5 minutes.

BMac had a poor game. Tried to go for a run early, got caught HTB and seemed to go into his shell.

Bennetts is starting to win a lot of the ball playing high half-forward. He pressures well, links well and is quite evasive. Wish he was a little bit quicker. Got clobbered late so I hope he's OK because he wouldn't be far off a senior debut.

Sully is a real live wire, sidestepping players and finding room in traffic when there normally isn't. Isn't quite strong enough yet to do it consistently and has lapses in concentration but there's an AFL quality player there.

I really love Serong's defensive work. Playing on Sam Day, he won that battle despite constant entries from their midfield dominance. Didn't really get his offensive game going but was our full-back.

Morrison was BOG for us. Very tough, accumulated, and was constantly running hard to support. I did feel he lacked impact when using the ball but that applies to basically everyone.

Cooper was similar to Morrison, except used it worse. He struggles to get separation.

Gunston played backline sweeper in the first half, and while he was OK the role allowed Gold Coast to have a spare down back that intercepted constantly. He shifted forward in the second half and kicked 2 goals, both strong leads and accurate finishes.

B. Ryan was decent. Nothing bad but no real stand out moments.

Great report. You think Serong pushing for selection? Anyone else?

Great report. You think Serong pushing for selection? Anyone else?

Cupboard is pretty bare since most of our kids are already in the seniors.

Gunston/Morrison both played well and could be called upon if we decide experience is needed.

I've always been a fan of what Serong can do and think he'd benefit from AFL experience. You can't teach defensive craft like he has. Unfortunately, he's competing with Scrim/Sicily who are both established. Maybe if we want to move Weddle up the ground?

Bennetts has been pushing for selection with great performances but was eclipsed by Butler's scoreboard impact the last two games. He also needs to be elevated which is a bit awkward.

O'Sullivan will debut if he continues his form and his body doesn't let him down. I think his pressure game and zip is different to what our other smalls currently offer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back