2023 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope, exactly the same as the Adelaide set up, youngsters from our AFL NGA territory and youngsters from our affiliated SANFL zones....exactly the same as Port Adelaide.

Nope.

Sanders and McKercher are both in the North sides.

Callinan in the South.

I guess you are more cynical. North genuinely did the right thing down there. We probably didn't go armed into clinic try outs asking parents for proof of ethnicity and aboriginality for a 12 year old.

It would only be relevant if they were draftable in 5-6 years. Hence the Sanders process when he was around 15/16 years of age.

To make it clear, the AFL and AFL TAS and Melbourne Grammar accepted his aboriginal status years ago, well before the AFL draft process.

His boarding scholarship would be worth well north of $100k+ and was issued as a First Nations Scholarship, so MGS were more than comfortable following that vetting process.

Last edited:
Nope.

Sanders and McKercher are both in the North sides.

Callinan in the South.

I guess you are more cynical. North genuinely did the right thing down there. We probably didn't go armed into clinic try outs asking parents for proof of ethnicity and aboriginality for a 12 year old.

It would only be relevant if they were draftable in 5-6 years. Hence the Sanders process when he was around 15/16 years of age.

To make it clear, the AFL and AFL TAS and Melbourne Grammar accepted his aboriginal status years ago, well before the AFL draft process.

His boarding scholarship would be worth well north of $100k+ and was issued as a First Nations Scholarship, so MGS were more than comfortable following that vetting process.
Pretty sure Mut's is saying that the SA sides also run programs for all players in their NGA zone, not just NGA eligible prospects, like essentially all clubs do

I realise that, but not all Vic Clubs do it.

It's clear the eligibility isn't even considered for a few years though.
Which clubs don't currently? I was pretty confident all clubs with Metro zones in Vic are pretty on top of their community work

Which clubs don't currently? I was pretty confident all clubs with Metro zones in Vic are pretty on top of their community work

Hold open trials for all of age kids in the area for NGA squads?

No way........

Comb junior football rep sides and then check eligibility?

Yes.

The Community Camps is not what I am talking about here, that is separate again.

No way........

Yes.

The Community Camps is not what I am talking about here, that is separate again.
Really sounds like you are trying to manufacture a reason in your head to believe you will get this guy for free.

Really sounds like you are trying to manufacture a reason in your head to believe you will get this guy for free.
To be fair, what fan wouldn't want a free top 10 player in the draft? I'd happily delusion myself into thinking St Kilda deserve Zane Duursma if he was NGA eligible or something.

*Apart from GC during their assistance package.
Your predicament is totally your own making. From cutting back the list to hard in 2016, to questionable drafting and/or recruiting since.

GC were sold a lemon and set up to fail from the beginning. Their original administration base were demountable sheds on the side of their training oval. Didn’t have a gym or recovery facilities.

Not until after the 2018 Comm games, where they inherited the T&A facilities from the games.

Not to mention being pillaged every year from opposition clubs.

So Gold Coast’s “rescue” package was about resetting them up properly.

Your predicament is totally your own making. From cutting back the list to hard in 2016, to questionable drafting and/or recruiting since.

GC were sold a lemon and set up to fail from the beginning. Their original administration base were demountable sheds on the side of their training oval. Didn’t have a gym or recovery facilities.

Not until after the 2018 Comm games, where they inherited the T&A facilities from the games.

Who's predicament isn't of their own making?

Idiotic statement which continually gets repeated.

I am sick of hearing this - Every club that has had a first round priority is of their own doing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way........

Yes.

Adelaide do in both Pt. Augusta and the APY lands, Port in Port Lincoln and SA's West Coast... you're wrong but go on believing.

I am sick of hearing this - Every club that has had a first round priority is of their own doing.
That 5 wins rule doesn't exist now though.

Carlton were bad for longer and only got some state league recruits for free which they traded away.
Brisbane were horrid for a while and got an end of first round pick.
North got some free picks last year (had to trade), they don't need more

“Every year is assessed on its merits,” McLachlan said on Monday.

“We had a year when they got mature-aged players only – I think they picked up (Chris) Burgess, (Josh) Corbett and (Sam) Collins in that draft. And then they were still deemed to be needing more picks and assistance, and they came back and they got an additional pick then.

“If we take that first year of Gold Coast, it’s pretty analogous, which is, ‘they need some help now, this will help them do that’.

How much better a prospect is Harley Reid than where Melbourne's (Freo's) first pick will land? Daniel Curtin and Zane Duursma both look excellent prospects from my amateur perspective and both would be in the frame for pick #4-5. What value pick would be needed to shift up the draft to #1? I would be hesitant to trade up and get a worse player.

Just that you’re talking up Watson athleticism when Duursma is 20cm taller and athletic himself.
McKercher is Merrett 2.0. If a club sees midfield potential for Caddy then he could go very high. Curtin is the reason WCE would consider trading pick 1 to get him and someone else.

Moir and A Reid the 2 who would have been top 5 coming into year who have slid a bit after quiet starts to season.
Interesting the comparisons that Mckercher is getting with Merrett

The only similarity I see is being left footed

Ik you love him as do I. He is a game changer in the forward 50. But as stated those bottom sides are more likely to take a mid over a small forward if they win 2 games. No point having Watson if you can’t get the ball inside 50.
If you look at North’s midfield it’s actually strong on paper

Their weakness is at either end of the ground and Watson ( Duursma and Curtin ) would all suit them

does anyone know why Harley Reid didn't play VFL on the weekend is he injured or just having the week off.

is he playing VFL this week?

I am very interested to see what GC do with 5 (or whatever it ends up being). It could have a big impact on us this year. If they are losing Flanders, they should probably try to move the whole pick into next year because they'll have enough points anyway and having extra future picks on draft night gives them more flexbility for how they want to match bids.

With where the pick currently stands, I'd see Freo as one of the only clubs just doing a swap of our F1 for the pick makes sense

I am very interested to see what GC do with 5 (or whatever it ends up being). It could have a big impact on us this year. If they are losing Flanders, they should probably try to move the whole pick into next year because they'll have enough points anyway and having extra future picks on draft night gives them more flexbility for how they want to match bids.

With where the pick currently stands, I'd see Freo as one of the only clubs just doing a swap of our F1 for the pick makes sense
they should be targeting our pick 2 or 3 to get ahead of walter bid

eg flanders and pick 5 to north for our pp/compo pick 3 (with a promise we dont bid on walter at 2)

that way they get Curtin/Duursma/McKercher and walter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back