2023 AFL Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
they should be targeting our pick 2 or 3 to get ahead of walter bid

eg flanders and pick 5 to north for our pp/compo pick 3 (with a promise we dont bid on walter at 2)

that way they get Curtin/Duursma/McKercher and walter
That's possibly an option, I dont see why North should be doing that and Flanders moving to North seems a poor career move. You have too many young mids as it is, Flanders will actually be more guaranteed gametime elsewhere (as weird as that sounds). Like, if your losing McKay, why on Earth would North not take who seems to the best KPP in the open draft?

I also think that's just too much investment in the draft for them. History shows just piling up on 1st round picks (that would make it 4) in a single draft isnt necessarily a good thing. I'd think it's better for them to move value to next year, they are already getting 3 1st rounds picks this year

Like, if your losing McKay, why on Earth would North not take who seems to the best KPP in the open draft?

The answer to this is Alastair Clarkson. Think of all his premiership key defenders and then think about how many he drafted.

The flip side I guess is Larkey and Comben are a fair shout from Franklin and Roughy.

The answer to this is Alastair Clarkson. Think of all his premiership key defenders and then think about how many he drafted.

The flip side I guess is Larkey and Comben are a fair shout from Franklin and Roughy.
Yeah like, I dont want to jump on here but your KPP stocks are beyond dire (if McKay leaves) and your midfield stocks are absolutely bonkers. Best available and all that but like there's diminishing returns at some point. Curtain could be "just" a 150 game player and it's likely a better impact on your team then anything else.

Some merit in trading down for O'Sullivan as well I suppose but North would surely rather draft compensation now or in the future rather than another mid in Flanders

Yeah like, I dont want to jump on here but your KPP stocks are beyond dire (if McKay leaves) and your midfield stocks are absolutely bonkers. Best available and all that but like there's diminishing returns at some point. Curtain could be "just" a 150 game player and it's likely a better impact on your team then anything else.

Some merit in trading down for O'Sullivan as well I suppose but North would surely rather draft compensation now or in the future rather than another mid in Flanders

I do agree but every indication I've seen is an early KPD isn't on the cards. Clarkson likes to take out big bodies from other clubs and that'll mean stop gaps for next year, including talk today Comben may be shifted back. Curtin unfortunately may be ruled out with JHF PTSD and a fear a top 3 pick may head back home which is fair. O'Sullivan seems to be coming with a bullet. So much to play out though, obviously at this stage our draft hand is 2 and mid teens so the top of our board will go at 2.

people dont quite realise just how bad we have been

its a modern day record one not to be proud of but at least we will be compensated as a result
Because you’re club decided to retire/delist all your older players and leaders in 2015/16.

You’re current predicament is of your own making.

You have been pillaged of all your players in their prime, or young draftees wanting to “go home”.

You might be about to lose 1 player, but he barely gets on the park because he’s always injured, and you’re all rubbing your hands together at the possible compensation, rather than lamenting losing a player, who plays in a position you’re extremely short on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You mustn’t have been paying attention to the media lately we will be getting that and more
Top end picks aren't the issue for you guys. If the AFL had a brain, they'd load you up with second round picks. As they're ideal for trading for mid tier players to get you competitive again. It stupid that the AFL are assisting the boom bust cycle.

I do agree but every indication I've seen is an early KPD isn't on the cards.
Nek minnit

North already has pick two, and are eyeing Sanders’ Tassie midfield mate Colby McKercher, the 181cm speedster who zooms on to the ball like this draft’s Sonic the Hedgehog.

If North received pick three as well, lock in Western Australian A-Grade key defender Daniel Curtin which would fill clearly the biggest hole on North’s list.

HARLEY TO DON THE SASH

PROSPECTIVE No.1 pick Harley Reid is expected to play for Essendon's VFL side next week as his season hits its final block.

Reid was named in the under-18 All-Australian side for the second straight year after his impressive carnival for Vic Country before having last week off under the Coates Talent League fixture.

This weekend he will line up for the Bendigo Pioneers, with a view to playing for the Bombers potentially the following week in the VFL side.

Reid trained with Essendon during the pre-season through the AFL Academy program, where he impressed with his tenacity and smarts in match practice.

He has already played two games with Carlton's VFL side earlier this season, where the game-changer set things up from half-back in his second appearance.

A number of Victorian draft prospects have tasted VFL action at stages this year, with potential top-five pick Zane Duursma playing his second game for Casey Demons last week, while Sandringham Dragons prospect Harvey Johnston played for Collingwood's VFL side last weekend as well.

In coming weeks Nate Caddy (Carlton VFL) and George Stevens (Geelong VFL) could also taste the higher level. – Callum Twomey

Because you’re club decided to retire/delist all your older players and leaders in 2015/16.

You’re current predicament is of your own making.

You have been pillaged of all your players in their prime, or young draftees wanting to “go home”.

You might be about to lose 1 player, but he barely gets on the park because he’s always injured, and you’re all rubbing your hands together at the possible compensation, rather than lamenting losing a player, who plays in a position you’re extremely short on.

Older players retire, stop the presses.

Remind me how Higgins went at Geelong, Tarrant went at Richmond?

How's Brown going for Casey?

I think the word you are looking for is vindication.

One has a premiership medal and all three were getting games for teams that are much better than North?

They help set standards on the training ground, in the locker rooms and VFL.

We have Jarryd Lyons and Daniel Rich playing in our VFL team. They provide valuable leadership and on field coaching to our young mids and backs.

Brown would still be in your best 22. You’re kidding yourself if you believe otherwise.

Look at your squad, you’ve got the following senior players who should be the core of your best 22, Hugh Greenwood, Liam Shiels and Jack Ziebell, to fill your kids around.

But you already have so many high quality kids who play mid, and forward who can roll through the midfield, and you want to add two more.

At some point, some of those kids are going to leave for more opportunities, and you’re going to get cents on the dollar.

Mids
Jye Simpkin
Luke Davies-Uniake
Tarryn Thomas
Bailey Scott
Will Phillips
Tom Powell
George Wardlaw

Half Forwards
Jaidyn Stephenson
Curtis Taylor
Paul Curtis