Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't disagree but these teams get picked based on stats. Jack Macrae being a 3 time AA is evidence of that. Captain of the team coming 2nd, LDU missing a week through injury... He'd be in it whether deserving or not at this stage of the season... But its round 4, a lot can change.
Yeah the Macrae one is pretty true, cant argue with that

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

After Round 4:

FB: Wilkie Aliir Saad
HB: Sinclair Sicily Sheezel
C: M.Wood LDU Daicos
HF: Greene Curnow De Goey
FF: Fritsch Larkey Rankine
Foll: English, Oliver, Tom Green
Int: Dawson, Parish, J.Cameron, Petracca.

Steven May will slot in to take his usual FB spot in a week or 2.
With all due respect in no world is Aliir ahead of Weitering, you can make an argument for several other players but not Aliir.

Owens is probably not in the team, but they said on First Crack last night that he’s the no.2 ranked “general forward” in the AFL, and that Greene, Rankine and Gresham with 34 are the only ones who have had more disposals inside the forward 50 for the season than Mitch (29).

These are all the areas he’s rated “elite” in (presumably for “general forwards”):

Averaging:
18.3 disposals- Elite
11.5 contested possessions- Elite
13 effective disposals- Elite
2 goals- Elite
4.5 shots at goal per game- Elite
1.8 Contested marks- Elite
1.8 Marks inside 50- Elite
6.3 score involvements- Elite
6.5 ground ball gets- Elite
1.3 score launches- Elite
292m-gained- Elite
27% hitout win- Elite
62.5% hitout to advantage- Elite
86.8 AFL fantasy points- Elite

Will be fascinating to see what we do with him when Membrey is back, as Mitch is effectively playing his role.
Mitch was drafted after playing in the wing for Sandy and VIC metro and play school footy as a midfielder so I am sure he has the tools to play where ever you want him to be.

How’s the campaignerpires giving a wristie to the Eagles yesterday? Scared into reversing a mark from JVR and also cost my boy Charles Spargo a nice shot at goal, soda it was too.

Still have him pencilled into a forward pocket tho, too good not to.

Mitch was drafted after playing in the wing for Sandy and VIC metro and play school footy as a midfielder so I am sure he has the tools to play where ever you want him to be.
Yeah I imagine when Membrey returns we’ll unleash him in the midfield. Which is where he was training and presumably expected to mostly play prior to King going down, and subsequently moving him forward to be a marking target there.

Updated Team

B: Lever Weitering Saad
HB: Daicos Wilkie Sinclair
C: Bontompelli Oliver Wood
HF: Degoey Cameron Greene
F: Rankine Curnow Larkey
OB: English Petracca LDU
IC: Scheezel Parish Kelly Dawson

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Andrews seems to be going under the radar for he’s fantastic start to the year around here

He has looked great whenever I have watched him however I looked at stats from Lions game and noticed key forwards have been playing pretty well against you.

Marshall (4 goals) / Dixon (3 goals)
Brown (4 goals)
Mihocek (3 goals)

Brown, Mihocek and Marshall or Dixon would be the number 1 key forwards for those teams so I would assume Andrews was playing on them? Or is Payne getting them now so Andrews zone off?

He did hold Naughton to 1 goal in round 3 which is a good scalp.

Saad - Andrews - Wilkie
Sinclair - Weitering - N.Daicos
Wood - Oliver - J.Daicos
De Goey - Curnow - Greene
Mihocek - Cameron - Rankine
English - Crouch - Petracca
T.Kelly - Bont - Merrett - Lever
Sub: Sheezel

Slight update after i left Lever out.
Sheezel to sub, Owens slides out

Last edited:
Forgive my ignorance but I haven’t watched a single WCE game this year: is this Tim Kelly people are naming?

Owens is probably not in the team, but they said on First Crack last night that he’s the no.2 ranked “general forward” in the AFL, and that Greene, Rankine and Gresham with 34 are the only ones who have had more disposals inside the forward 50 for the season than Mitch (29).

These are all the areas he’s rated “elite” in (presumably for “general forwards”):

Averaging:
18.3 disposals- Elite
11.5 contested possessions- Elite
13 effective disposals- Elite
2 goals- Elite
4.5 shots at goal per game- Elite
1.8 Contested marks- Elite
1.8 Marks inside 50- Elite
6.3 score involvements- Elite
6.5 ground ball gets- Elite
1.3 score launches- Elite
292m-gained- Elite
27% hitout win- Elite
62.5% hitout to advantage- Elite
86.8 AFL fantasy points- Elite

Will be fascinating to see what we do with him when Membrey is back, as Mitch is effectively playing his role.

Haven’t watched much of the saints this year, but saw about 1.5 qrts of the gold coast game.

I was like “who the hell is this guy?” Absolutely dominated the small part I saw.

Forgive my ignorance but I haven’t watched a single WCE game this year: is this Tim Kelly people are naming?
Yes. Had a terrible round 1 where he looked completely uninterested in applying second efforts and was turning it over at every opportunity. The three rounds since then he’ll probably be getting Brownlow votes every game. If it weren’t for that awful first round, he’d be one of the first picked players in the team

Yep. Averaging 30 disposals and a goal plus 3rd in the coaches votes. Going under the radar a little.

Good. Obviously as an ex-Cat I want him to do well and thought he has been critiqued a little harshly since he left us and while not as good as his breakout season at Geelong I thought he had still been pretty good in general

Good. Obviously as an ex-Cat I want him to do well and thought he has been critiqued a little harshly since he left us and while not as good as his breakout season at Geelong I thought he had still been pretty good in general
Yes he is harshly criticised has never in his career been outside of about 7th in a best and fairest.

He has looked great whenever I have watched him however I looked at stats from Lions game and noticed key forwards have been playing pretty well against you.

Marshall (4 goals) / Dixon (3 goals)
Brown (4 goals)
Mihocek (3 goals)

Brown, Mihocek and Marshall or Dixon would be the number 1 key forwards for those teams so I would assume Andrews was playing on them? Or is Payne getting them now so Andrews zone off?

He did hold Naughton to 1 goal in round 3 which is a good scalp.
From memory the Port game he was conceded against, but has been really good apart from that. Think most of the goals have been against Payne and Joyce.

Im not sure that he is in the first team at the moment - but I can see an argument between all of Weitering, Allir, Andrews and Moore for the FB spot.

If Nick Daicos couldn't make the AA team last season, I don't see how Sheezel can possibly make it this year either despite his brilliant start to his career.

You can't think how Sheezel "can possibly" make it?

I can think of a few possibilities.

1. Daicos was the oldest player in the 2021 draft class, born Jan 3. Sheezel is one of the youngest of the 2022 class. Daicos is 10 weeks off being 2 years older than him.

It's early days, but statistically there's more than a few reasons Sheezel would be selected over Daicos' 2022 season, particularly given they are playing almost the same roles:

1681175595652.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Analysis 2023 All Australian Team Awards Night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back