Preview 2023 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Jon Ralph round 1 team - Herald Sun. He believes Constable will start and Weller should be ready round 1.

GOLD COAST

B:
S. Lemmens, S. Collins, B. Long

HB: B. Ellis, C. Ballard, C. Constable

C: D. Swallow, M. Rowell, L. Weller

HF: M. Chol, L. Casboult, N. Holman

F: B. Ainsworth, Ben King, M. Rosas

Foll: J. Witts, N. Anderson, T. Miller

I/C: J. Lukosius, B. Humphrey, E. Hollands, S. Flanders

Sub: A. Davies

Notable absentees: W. Powell, J. Jeffrey, A. Sexton, J. Anderson, C. Blakely

Charlie Constable has been earmarked for a role down back and only needs to continue his pre-season form to be handed a round 1 berth, while Sam Flanders has been the pre-season breakout after exceptional VFL form last year.

Lukosius will play half forward and Hollands has played plenty of pre-season time on a wing. As for Izak Rankine’s vacancy, all of Jeffrey, top 10 pick Humphrey, Sexton and Malcolm Rosas will be looking for a big year to fill those shoes.

Lachie Weller should be ready by round 1 off a summer of recovery while Wil Powell isn’t yet ready off a medium-level hamstring injury.

Last edited:

Not a bad go at it i reckon. Think farrar gets the nod though especially with only 2 talls back there. Dew also hinted that if all 3 of king, chol, casboult play then only 2 will be on at one time, so luko on the field for casboult. Farrar probably for Humphrey, couple weeks in the vfl for him first I think.

Not a bad go at it i reckon. Think farrar gets the nod though especially with only 2 talls back there. Dew also hinted that if all 3 of king, chol, casboult play then only 2 will be on at one time, so luko on the field for casboult. Farrar probably for Humphrey, couple weeks in the vfl for him first I think.
It was reported that Humphrey experienced knee soreness this off-season related to his meniscus injury from last year. Probably not ideal preparation. Let's see if he plays in practice games. I would be surprised if he is in round 1 best 23.

I can’t see Farrar not playing. He’s looking in ripping nick and we will need more ball users coming out of defence with Lemmens/Collins/Long on the last line. I’d go:

Lemmens Collins Long
Constable Ballard Farrar
with Ellis and Weller swapping through there and the wing.

Not super tall, but we had Farrar playing on Jeremy Cameron and Zurhaar to end the year, and that was with Crab in the line-up, so he has the ability to play taller.

Rest of the team is pretty standard. Jeffrey the likely casualty if we go Casboult.

Good to see we have about 28-30 players who have had a good pre-season you can genuinely argue deserve a spot. Quality of depth is as good as it has ever been.

Super keen to see what Humphrey can do. Got the feeling from a few in the media that this knee issue might just hold off his debut momentarily. Hope not though 🤞. Seems as though clubs are having a full intra club hit out this week ( hawthorn right now) anyone know if/when ours is?

Good to finally get a look at the lads. I hope our round one team looks like this:

FB: Long, Collins, Lemmens
HB: Constable, Ballard, Farrar
C: Ellis, Miller, Hollands
R: Witts, Anderson, Rowell
HF: Ainsworth, Chol, Lukosius
FF: Humphrey, King, Flanders
Int: Swallow, Casbolt, Davies, Holman

Haven’t got a good look at Rosas, but Humphrey did more in the match sim than I’ve Rosas do so far.

Sadly, based on the training pics and match sim, it’s likely that DMac and Crab will find their way in the team somehow.

Don’t know if Weller will be ready round 1 but if so, then I’d probably have Constable coming out.

Swallow probably starts in the forward like somewhere or on the wing.

Good to finally get a look at the lads. I hope our round one team looks like this:

FB: Long, Collins, Lemmens
HB: Constable, Ballard, Farrar
C: Ellis, Miller, Hollands
R: Witts, Anderson, Rowell
HF: Ainsworth, Chol, Lukosius
FF: Humphrey, King, Flanders
Int: Swallow, Casbolt, Davies, Holman

Haven’t got a good look at Rosas, but Humphrey did more in the match sim than I’ve Rosas do so far.

Sadly, based on the training pics and match sim, it’s likely that DMac and Crab will find their way in the team somehow.

Don’t know if Weller will be ready round 1 but if so, then I’d probably have Constable coming out.

Swallow probably starts in the forward like somewhere or on the wing.
I like it. I've got rosas for Davies, think between Humphrey and Flanders they play Davies midfield minutes. Davies sub. Maybe Jeffery for casboult too, even though I love what casboult offers.

I like it. I've got rosas for Davies, think between Humphrey and Flanders they play Davies midfield minutes. Davies sub. Maybe Jeffery for casboult too, even though I love what casboult offers.
I’d rather Jeffery over Casboult too, but all the noise is that they’re going with him. Hopefully, it’s just for the start of the season while king gets back into things and to give him a bit of protection.

Long - Collins - Farrar
Constable - Ballard - Graham
Ellis - Miller - Hollands
Ainsworth - Chol - Lukosius
Humphrey - King - Flanders

Witts - Rowell - Anderson

Swallow - Holman - Davies - Jeffrey

MacPherson
Here is my rolling team for round 1. Not convinced Casboult makes it, I know it is only a throw away practice game but he looked a bit off the pace, though I understand Dew seriously rates him.

MacPherson as sub could be any of 5 different blokes, just went with him because his flexibility.

Holman another that needs to impress early as that high pressure forward as I thought Berry applied some hectic pressure in the forward line. GWS game may change my mind on a few the likes of Rosas could come into the frame.

Long - Collins - Farrar
Constable - Ballard - Graham
Ellis - Miller - Hollands
Ainsworth - Chol - Lukosius
Humphrey - King - Flanders

Witts - Rowell - Anderson

Swallow - Holman - Davies - Jeffrey

MacPherson
Here is my rolling team for round 1. Not convinced Casboult makes it, I know it is only a throw away practice game but he looked a bit off the pace, though I understand Dew seriously rates him.

MacPherson as sub could be any of 5 different blokes, just went with him because his flexibility.

Holman another that needs to impress early as that high pressure forward as I thought Berry applied some hectic pressure in the forward line. GWS game may change my mind on a few the likes of Rosas could come into the frame.

MacPherson’s only flexibility is turning it over in the backline, the fwd line, the midfield, tripping over a water bottle or putting the sub vest on inside out. Was putrid yesterday. Don’t know why Dew plays favourites with him so much…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

MacPherson’s only flexibility is turning it over in the backline, the fwd line, the midfield, tripping over a water bottle or putting the sub vest on inside out. Was putrid yesterday. Don’t know why Dew plays favourites with him so much…
I thought he was OK until he tried to dispose of the ball.

B: Farrar / Collins / Graham
HB: Constable / Ballard / Long
C: Ellis / Miller / Hollands
HF: Ainsworth / Chol / Lukosius
F: Humphrey / King / Flanders

R: Witts / Rowell / Anderson

I/C: Swallow / Davies / Jeffrey / Casboult

S: Holman

*Holman (super tactical sub) = can’t lose

Most Rd 1 teams being posted on here don't include a 7th defender, all 4 on the bench being forward/mid. Until Powell or weller are ready I think maybe Ellis will be the 7th with hollands one wing and the other occupied by swallow/ Lukosius/holman

Yeah not the biggest MacPherson fan at all, but Dew seems to like him. Once Powell and Weller are back in the mix, MacPherson will be well entrenched in the 2's.

Dew played Holman on the wing in the first two periods on Thursday. He is an elite runner. I wonder how this will pan out. He would add midfield pressure which we need.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Most Rd 1 teams being posted on here don't include a 7th defender, all 4 on the bench being forward/mid. Until Powell or weller are ready I think maybe Ellis will be the 7th with hollands one wing and the other occupied by swallow/ Lukosius/holman
Ellis, Swallow, Jeffrey, Casboult - all could play stints in defence but yeah agree, I would prefer Ellis to be the preferred extra defender out of that lot in those rotations. Problem is he’s also our best wingman. I have mentioned before that I like the wing pairing of Swallow and Hollands. Reminds me of the great Collingwood wings Millane and Brown - tough and talented.

Dew played Holman on the wing in the first two periods on Thursday. He is an elite runner. I wonder how this will pan out. He would add midfield pressure which we need.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He also had an ordinary game on Thursday. I understand he’s a popular role player but I think Holman will always need to perform well to keep his spot personally.

He’s a long way down the midfield pecking order when we have a full squad to choose from. There’s a few players who are breathing down his neck for the pressure forward position (Tom Berry played better I thought), and then we have to still fit Weller, Powell into the team when they’re ready.

Good problem to have. The blokes just outside the best available 22 really need to keep pushing those inside. I think we could see a couple of surprises with Round One selections. GWS game is going to be very interesting.

Holman is best 22 round 1, always a tone setter and until someone else steps up and becomes that, he plays.
I feel the same way about casboult, they haven't lost their spot yet but tbh I think both actually have been overtaken and it's just now, how long do we wait, I think Dew needs to make the tough call but happy to be wrong, as long as we play finals

Holman is best 22 round 1, always a tone setter and until someone else steps up and becomes that, he plays.
In my perfect world, Holman gets squeezed out this season. I think his time is coming. Yes, he sets the tone with his aggression and kicks a goal every now and then, but I think he ultimately wouldn’t make many teams around the league’s best 22. There will come a time where his loyalty and dedication will need to be replaced by better finishers who can bring similar pressure.

Happy to be proven wrong though.

I definitely agree with comments as him being a sub. He is an excellent choice to rotate through that role due to his versatility and ability to impact when fresh.

It's pretty obvious that Humphrey is best 22 so the selection panel need to work around that
I don’t mind him playing a few VFL matches (Ben King style) first. Not everyone needs to be a Rowell or Anderson type.

But he could definitely be one to take Holman’s spot. Or the “empty” spot left by Rankine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview 2023 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back