Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a good time to pin this:

OOC players:
  • Michael Hibberd (retired)
  • Deakyn Smith (delisted)
  • Andy Moniz-Wakefield
  • Jake Melksham (delisted, will be re-drafted as a rookie)
  • Luke Dunstan (retired)
  • James Jordon (signed with Sydney as a Free Agent)
  • Kye Turner (delisted)
Traded out:
  • James Harmes (Bulldogs)
  • Brodie Grundy (Sydney)
Traded in:
  • Tom Fullarton (Brisbane)
  • Jack Billings (St Kilda)
  • Shane McAdam (Adelaide)
Drafted:
  • Caleb Windsor (Pick 7)
  • Koltyn Tholstrup (Pick 13)
  • Kynan Brown (Rookie)

Last edited:
Would be us, we had planned to use the money for Grundy anyway, may as well turn it into pick 14
So we'd ruin our own cap for a slightly better pick? We'd have to be paying like 300-400k per year of Jordon's new contract to rort band 1 and hope the AFL just happily ticks it off. All to go from pick 30 to pick 14 which would end up being pick 20 anyway.

We could just as easily buy Port's F1 by bundling up the second rounder we get for Grundy the Jordon pick and another 2nd.

Still don't get why the AFL are trying to keep this formula a secret. Clubs just guestimated it and have been rorting it for years anyway.

They figure more it’s kept a closed room secret the less clubs will try and manipulate it. All this has done is force bottom clubs to start petitioning for concessions and handouts even harder and earlier and basically make extreme ambit requests as their starting position. For example North have asked for a start of first round priority pick the past two seasons (plus other extra picks) fully well knowing that’s not what they’ll end up getting. But by doing so they placed pressure on the AFL to eventually cough up some half decent concessions this year. It’s becoming a well worn tactic now at the bottom of the ladder.

My point was the treatment of Grundy adversely impacts how the club is viewed by established players. Your assertion that everything is hunky dory because Collingwood got a fringe player in Frampton (24 games in 8 years before Collingwood) is a reach.

Collingwood recruited well last year, but lets be real. Tom Mitchell was given a pat on the ass as he was pushed out the door because he didn't fit Hawthorn's timeline. Bobby Hill was a fringe player who came good. And they had to overpay for a homesick McStay. It was not as if they had quality players requesting a move there, such as Dunkley or (the corpse of) Gunston who were available.

"4. Could be mates with MfC players (Eg Henry)"

LOL! Henry having mates here was not enough for Melbourne to even get on his shortlist.

Go look at my post history; I was against the Grundy trade. But in fairness, Grundy lived up to his end of the bargain.

The club made a massive misstep by having Simple Simon negging him during press conferences. If you were a player with other options, why would you want to come to a club that will have a coach that will be outwardly hostile when things are not going as planned and is actively sabotaging your future prospects?

The way the club has handled this in the media symptomatic of other issues such as the players reportedly only putting in minimum hours. Being openly disrespectul to players is terrible leadership, and poor leadership does not foster an environment where players will be dedicated or hardworking.

Player agents have long memories, and if you have a fiduciary duty to your client you would not be supporting them to move to Melbourne unless they are the port of last resort.

If you have a reputation of treating players like s**t then your limiting your recruitment pool to the draft, misfits from other clubs or paying overs. This is why we have only been linked to battlers like McAdam; a fringe player that we had to offer a third year to entice him.

This reads like a chronic overreaction, starting with Grundy “living up to his end of the bargain”. No he didn’t. He was horrible in 2023, even allowing for the fact that the roles he was given didn’t suit him. The player himself must take some responsibility for A) The poor decision he made coming to a club with an established 6-time All Australian first choice ruckman and B) His own crappy senior performances.

I also don’t remember Goodwin being openly ‘hostile’ and ‘negging’ Grundy during press conferences. If anything he was overly measured and diplomatic for too long in the face of overwhelming evidence ‘Gawndy’ was a failed gamble. At some point he had to acknowledge to the media it didn’t work and I think he did so candidly, without any ill-will or rancor towards the player.

Nothing to do with Grundy is going to affect our prospects of recruiting good players. Professional footballers and managers understand the cut and thrust of AFL football environments. Not every trade works out beautifully. We’re in as strong a position as any club out there with stability off field, a quality list, recent premiership success, successive top four finishes and plenty of big games at the home of footy. Lots to like.

Your doom and gloom focus is weird tbh. It’s early days in the trade/draft period. Take a few deep Wim Hof breaths and calm the farm cuz.

Last edited:
I get that he signed it when his value was all time high but fmd $6.3m for 7 years is such a shit contract. Grundy likely wouldn’t be in the top 60% of players but would be getting paid like he’s in the best 10-20 players in the comp.

Eddie McGuire did a lot of good for Collingwood during his tenure but the final decade or so was a downward spiral.

Port’s future 1st has appeal as I could see them having a dud year in 2024, or at least get overtaken by a few other clubs. Could conceivably miss the top eight, netting the buyer a pick in the 7 - 10 range.

I get that he signed it when his value was all time high but fmd $6.3m for 7 years is such a s**t contract. Grundy likely wouldn’t be in the top 60% of players but would be getting paid like he’s in the best 10-20 players in the comp.

Eddie McGuire did a lot of good for Collingwood during his tenure but the final decade or so was a downward spiral.

It’s a contract that exceeds his production but he’s be comfortably in top 60% of players as a ruckman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going to pretend like did not think Jordan's first name up until this morning was Jim and say that clearly the Swans have pulled the wool over Melbourne's eyes and we are laughing to the bank with this amazingly talented young player :)

I am going to pretend like did not think Jordan's first name up until this morning was Jim and say that clearly the Swans have pulled the wool over Melbourne's eyes and we are laughing to the bank with this amazingly talented young player :)

He’s Josh P. Kennedy Mk2.
250 game multi B&F winner incoming

It's Jordon and you guys have better mids already, he'd be at the end of the queue

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes but one of our our best mids just did some dumb s**t and will be out for most of 2024. Also turns out I didn't even know his last name.

Thought so :cool:

He'd do well to learn from Josh and just look to handball and not kick.

Adelaide and Melbourne will be keen to secure another top 10 pick if the Suns end up trading pick 4 to the Western Bulldogs.

There is even a scenario where the Demons could end up with three picks within the first 13.

At this stage North Melbourne’s suite of end-of-first-round picks will still not be enough to see them secure pick 4 from the Suns.

The Dogs are offering picks 10, 17 and a future first-rounder — and would likely secure a third-rounder back from the Suns — which adds up to around 3500 draft points if the Dogs finished eighth next year.

Even if the Roos offered up their current pick 14 and two of those end-of-first-round picks their trade package would only come up to 3000 points.

And securing pick 10 from the Dogs — instead of the Roos pick 14 — would be much more advantageous.

Both the Crows and Demons have multiple second-rounders and one of that pair could trade them to the Suns for pick 10.

So the Suns get more points and one of Adelaide — currently with pick 9 — or Melbourne — currently with the Dockers’ 5 and 13 _ get the Suns pick 10.

Adelaide has picks 21 and 24 to the Demons’ 25 and 33, so the Crows are in the box seat.

But if the Demons found a way to sweeten that deal their draft hand could be five, 10 and 13.

Adelaide and Melbourne will be keen to secure another top 10 pick if the Suns end up trading pick 4 to the Western Bulldogs.

There is even a scenario where the Demons could end up with three picks within the first 13.

At this stage North Melbourne’s suite of end-of-first-round picks will still not be enough to see them secure pick 4 from the Suns.

The Dogs are offering picks 10, 17 and a future first-rounder — and would likely secure a third-rounder back from the Suns — which adds up to around 3500 draft points if the Dogs finished eighth next year.

Even if the Roos offered up their current pick 14 and two of those end-of-first-round picks their trade package would only come up to 3000 points.

And securing pick 10 from the Dogs — instead of the Roos pick 14 — would be much more advantageous.

Both the Crows and Demons have multiple second-rounders and one of that pair could trade them to the Suns for pick 10.

So the Suns get more points and one of Adelaide — currently with pick 9 — or Melbourne — currently with the Dockers’ 5 and 13 _ get the Suns pick 10.

Adelaide has picks 21 and 24 to the Demons’ 25 and 33, so the Crows are in the box seat.

But if the Demons found a way to sweeten that deal their draft hand could be five, 10 and 13.

I don’t know how many points GC need but they should be asking for a future first plus a second this year so they get points this year and stack up like 3 first next year also.

Would be happy offering our future first and a second for 10

If we did end up with say 5, 10, 13. Who would you consider with them picks. The best available at 5 then maybe Caddy and O’Sullivan?

If we did end up with say 5, 10, 13. Who would you consider with them picks. The best available at 5 then maybe Caddy and O’Sullivan?
If available it would be McKercher for me;

5 - McKercher
10 - Darcy Wilson
13 - Charlie Edwards

If McKercher is gone then just swap him out for O’Sullivan and I’d still be very pleased with that haul.

12-months ago this board thought Toby Bedford was a loser and no great loss, and then went on to have a ripper year.

I am all-in on a Jordon redemption arc! He'll be the Batman to Chad Warner's Robin!

Still would like a FWD/Ruck to come our way.

Hopefully we see a mid-year trade period.
There’s no way we are going into next year without another ruck option so I’m certain that at the very least we’ll pluck a mature age ruck from the state leagues with a late pick or rookie spot.

Mitch Edwards might be of interest if he’s around for a second round pick - but he’d be for the future rather than to use next year.

Jacob Edwards was once touted a potential top 10 pick for the 2021 draft prior to being selected in the mid-year draft. 202cm developing fwd/ruck, still only 20 years old.

Never debuted at AFL level and has a 1.5 years experience in the VFL. I have never watched him play.

Has he shown enough to get consideration as a reclamation project on a 1 year deal to see how develops alongside Verrall and Farris-White?

Jacob Edwards was once touted a potential top 10 pick for the 2021 draft prior to being selected in the mid-year draft. 202cm developing fwd/ruck, still only 20 years old.

Never debuted at AFL level and has a 1.5 years experience in the VFL. I have never watched him play.

Has he shown enough to get consideration as a reclamation project on a 1 year deal to see how develops alongside Verrall and Farris-White?
Mate the bloke wasn't even good enough to scratch games for a horrifically bad team. Let him play VFL somewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back