Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems a good time to pin this:

OOC players:
  • Michael Hibberd (retired)
  • Deakyn Smith (delisted)
  • Andy Moniz-Wakefield
  • Jake Melksham (delisted, will be re-drafted as a rookie)
  • Luke Dunstan (retired)
  • James Jordon (signed with Sydney as a Free Agent)
  • Kye Turner (delisted)
Traded out:
  • James Harmes (Bulldogs)
  • Brodie Grundy (Sydney)
Traded in:
  • Tom Fullarton (Brisbane)
  • Jack Billings (St Kilda)
  • Shane McAdam (Adelaide)
Drafted:
  • Caleb Windsor (Pick 7)
  • Koltyn Tholstrup (Pick 13)
  • Kynan Brown (Rookie)

Last edited:
Not sure about overlooking Leake, but Collard does fit a need in my opinion.

Would not be unhappy if we take Collard with our second pick. We certainly could use an injection of magic in the 22. If he brings that Bobby Hill / Shai Bolton energy and quality then he must be strongly considered. Small forwards just as crucial as key forwards now in your goal spread.

Curtin and Collard two WA boys would be some bold drafting. But I like the combo. Kozzie, McAdam and Collard buzzing around the F50 - suddenly we’re looking hella more dangerous up front.

Last edited:
Yeh do like the sound of him tbh, we badly need more dangerous small fwds.
I’m just unsure about his exposed form. Played some good games late in the year, but I don’t like reaching for kids because they tested well at the combine.

Combine results should be more just about franking the form they’ve showed on the field. Maybe the 3km time trial is helpful but otherwise I’m more interested in their heights than their agility or 20m sprint scores.

I'm not going to deconstruct all of this, but the three clubs rumoured to be heavily into Leake are us (#6), GWS (#7) and Geelong (#8). He won't be there at 11.

Also Leake has played on all three lines this year, and played well in each role. Not just a half-back.
First im hearing of him in the first tier of guys. Stand by my post, if we pass on Caddy or Curtain when they fill a need for some flanker it just seems like a terrible idea, i mean in Taylor we trust and you should take BPA not position of need early, but if we werent going to address needs with these 2 picks we shouldve kept 27 and 35, we have very little developing talent at so many positions. Not to mention Leake being BPA, well he hasnt been BPA at this position most of the yr.

Definitely more melt posters around than usual lately
Closer it gets to summer and the draft the more it becomes peak melting season for many of us. I can say for me I've been left out of the freezer and it's rly not my fault I'm melting, someone get an esky and some ice

How about you watch him rather than just running your mouth. You might be pleasantly surprised.
It's like the poster on here who cracked the absolute sads that we traded away pick 27 and 35 to move down 3 spots to pick 11 and then openly admitted that he actually hasn't watched any of the junior prospects at all this year.. 🤣

It's like the poster on here who cracked the absolute sads that we traded away pick 27 and 35 to move down 3 spots to pick 11 and then openly admitted that he actually hasn't watched any of the junior prospects at all this year.. 🤣

I dont think Leake is far behind Duursma honestly, Duursma has shown more absolutely but Leake might end up being the better player long term. Think both of them are great. Its a no brainer to stay at 6 and select Leake or Curtain and keep 11/future first rather than move up to 3 for Duursma I feel. McKercher is the only player id move up for now that Reid isn't happening.

Id have them:

Tier 1: Reid, McKercher
Tier 2: Duursma, Curtin, Leake
Tier 3: O'Sullivan, Caddy, Windsor, Watson
Tier 4: Sanders, Wilson

Would be amazing to come away with a player out of tier 2 and 3

Windsor now getting top 10 hype too (no surprise to me)

FIRST-BOUND BOLTERS… TO TOP-10 SHOCKS?

Not only have Launceston’s James Leake and Eastern Ranges’ Caleb Windsor surged into first-round calculations, they now loom as potential top-10 selections.

Leake and Windsor have been the two biggest draft bolters across the back-end of 2023, catching the eye of clubs with their game-breaking ability.

The Herald Sun on Wednesday night reported Leake — a versatile utility with an excellent leap, strong pair of hands, lethal ability around goal but also a shrewd intercept marker — had been linked to several clubs with top-10 selections, including Melbourne (Pick 6), the Giants (Pick 7) and Geelong (Pick 8). The report also suggested St Kilda (Pick 13) had interest in Leake.

Meanwhile, AFL Media reporter Cal Twomey suggested on his podcast ‘Gettable’ there was “momentum” behind Windsor being a top-10 selection.

After averaging 16 disposals and five inside 50s for Vic Metro at the national carnival, Windsor starred for the Ranges, averaging 19 disposals from his final eight Coates Talent League games. But what scouts were most impressed with was Windsor’s ability to push forward and consistently hit the scoreboard, kicking at least one goal in all of those eight matches.

His electric speed as on display at the national combine, placing third in the 20m sprint (2.916) while also finishing inside the to 10 of both vertical jump tests.

First im hearing of him in the first tier of guys. Stand by my post, if we pass on Caddy or Curtain when they fill a need for some flanker it just seems like a terrible idea, i mean in Taylor we trust and you should take BPA not position of need early, but if we werent going to address needs with these 2 picks we shouldve kept 27 and 35, we have very little developing talent at so many positions. Not to mention Leake being BPA, well he hasnt been BPA at this position most of the yr.
Firstly, you haven't taken into account that Jason Taylor may not rate Caddy or Curtain as high as Leake. Or you want Cal Twomey to be our head recruiter?

Secondly, Clayton Oliver was a late season bolter. As was Bontempelli.

Imagine an alternative universe where we were able to take 3 picks in this draft because we didn't re-sign Josh Schache.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the cooked market for spud key backs at the moment, we could potentially sell Schache for a 2nd rounder next year if he has a decent season at FB for Casey.

why not a first? WHY NOT??

With the cooked market for spud key backs at the moment, we could potentially sell Schache for a 2nd rounder next year if he has a decent season at FB for Casey.

Second rounder significant unders once he kicks 7 in the AFL grand final this year. That's got to make other clubs sit up and think this guy could play a role as a key defender.
A11dAtP0w3R

Second rounder significant unders once he kicks 7 in the AFL grand final this year. That's got to make other clubs sit up and think this guy could play a role as a key defender.
A11dAtP0w3R

why not multiple firsts? WHY NOT??

Second rounder Rookie draft I’m assuming. Not sure if those are tradable though.

Firstly, you haven't taken into account that Jason Taylor may not rate Caddy or Curtain as high as Leake. Or you want Cal Twomey to be our head recruiter?

Secondly, Clayton Oliver was a late season bolter. As was Bontempelli.
I get that, im just saying if Curtin is there and we dont rate him as BPA we should explore trading back. In Taylor we trust and im comfortable with that, though i cant say im as comfortable with Tim Lamb managing things...

I dont think Leake is far behind Duursma honestly, Duursma has shown more absolutely but Leake might end up being the better player long term. Think both of them are great. Its a no brainer to stay at 6 and select Leake or Curtain and keep 11/future first rather than move up to 3 for Duursma I feel. McKercher is the only player id move up for now that Reid isn't happening.

Id have them:

Tier 1: Reid, McKercher
Tier 2: Duursma, Curtin, Leake
Tier 3: O'Sullivan, Caddy, Windsor, Watson
Tier 4: Sanders, Wilson

Would be amazing to come away with a player out of tier 2 and 3
Have you got any thoughts on the tier/s after these 11 players?

The way the club explained our move from 14 to 11 was that after this group the jump down to the next tier was significant enough to expend the draft capital moving up into the top 11.

I'd be keen to hear from yourself and others that have watched plenty of junior footy about whether this is a view held by more than our team.

The way the club explained our move from 14 to 11 was that after this group the jump down to the next tier was significant enough to expend the draft capital moving up into the top 11.

I'd be keen to hear from yourself and others that have watched plenty of junior footy about whether this is a view held by more than our team.
Dazzle would know more than me, ill more do some research and give my thoughts when someone else brings them up

Archer Reid's best play is good (bit of Peter Wright about him) but his bad is very bad. If we had a pick around the 20's he'd intrigue me as a high potential shot. Moir from SA the other. Kid has some skills just lacks consistency.

I'm personally of the view that there's a fair drop-off after that group, based upon footage watched, research and consensus opinions (Walter, Read, Rogers and maybe Croft would be in those tiers, too).

IMO, Windsor and Wilson, who would likely be the lowest 'rated' of that group by most clubs (I'd have Windsor a bit higher) are comfortably ahead of the next batch that would include the likes of Collard, Murphy, DeMattia, Hardeman and Tholstrup. Odds are that at least one of those guys will turn out to be a gun AFL player in time, but Windsor and Wilson are safer bets.

This is my rough current take on the tiers. Note that I haven't put these in a particular order within each tier (although it’s probably not far off).

Based on my rankings, our pick ‘11’ could still be pushed into the third tier.

Tier 1 (approx 5 players)
Reid
Walter (GC)
Duursma
McKercher
Curtin

Tier 2 (approx 9 players)
Sanders
O’Sullivan
Read (GC)
Caddy
Leake
Watson
Windsor
Rogers (GC)
Wilson

Tier 3 (approx 8 players)
Collard
Croft (WB)
Tholstrup
McCabe (HAW)
Murphy
Hardeman
DeMattia
C Edwards

Tier 4
The rest

Last edited:
Windsor now getting top 10 hype too (no surprise to me)

FIRST-BOUND BOLTERS… TO TOP-10 SHOCKS?

Not only have Launceston’s James Leake and Eastern Ranges’ Caleb Windsor surged into first-round calculations, they now loom as potential top-10 selections.

Leake and Windsor have been the two biggest draft bolters across the back-end of 2023, catching the eye of clubs with their game-breaking ability.

The Herald Sun on Wednesday night reported Leake — a versatile utility with an excellent leap, strong pair of hands, lethal ability around goal but also a shrewd intercept marker — had been linked to several clubs with top-10 selections, including Melbourne (Pick 6), the Giants (Pick 7) and Geelong (Pick 8). The report also suggested St Kilda (Pick 13) had interest in Leake.

Meanwhile, AFL Media reporter Cal Twomey suggested on his podcast ‘Gettable’ there was “momentum” behind Windsor being a top-10 selection.

After averaging 16 disposals and five inside 50s for Vic Metro at the national carnival, Windsor starred for the Ranges, averaging 19 disposals from his final eight Coates Talent League games. But what scouts were most impressed with was Windsor’s ability to push forward and consistently hit the scoreboard, kicking at least one goal in all of those eight matches.

His electric speed as on display at the national combine, placing third in the 20m sprint (2.916) while also finishing inside the to 10 of both vertical jump tests.
I'll admit I know jack shit about the draft, I do like what little I've seen of Leake. The fact that he's linked to Geelong who have a pretty good recruiting record tells me there's something there. I'm already visualising him being a gun at Geelong and the media talking him up as a great pick up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back