List Mgmt. 2023 Draft & Trade Hypotheticals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Key Trade & Draft Dates
Key Dates:

Trade Period, October 6–18
  • Restricted & Unrestricted Free Agency Period: Friday, October 6, 9am – Friday October 13, 5pm (bid matching ends Monday October 16, 5pm)
  • Trade Period (1), picks & players: Monday, October 9, 9am – Wednesday October 18, 7.30pm
Quiet Period, October 19–November 20
  • Trade Period (2), picks only: Monday, October 23, 9am – Friday November 10, 5pm
  • List Lodgement 1*: Tuesday, October 31, 2pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (1): Wednesday, November 1, 9am – Wednesday November 8, 5pm
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (2): Friday, November 10, 9am–5pm
  • List Lodgement 2*: Tuesday, November 14, 2pm
Draft Period, November 20–22
  • Round 1 of the National Draft: Monday, November 20, time and venue TBA
  • Trade Period (3), picks only: Tuesday, November 21, 5.45pm–6.30pm
  • Round 2–end of the National Draft: Tuesday, November 21, 7pm until completion
  • Rookie Promotions: Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • Delisted Free Agency Period (3): Tuesday, November 21, after the National Draft
  • List Lodgement 3*: Wednesday, November 22, 10am (optional; required for those participating in the PSD)
  • Pre-Season Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3pm
  • Rookie Draft: Wednesday, November 22, 3.20pm
  • Final List Lodgement*: Thursday, November 23, 4pm
* List lodgement dates are yet to be made public, so are approximate based on past history and the requirements of the AFL Rules. When lists are lodged, the number of players on the list must not exceed maximum list sizes. At the same time, clubs must provide the AFL with estimates of total player payments in the current and following year, which must prove the club is not and will not exceed the salary cap. (AFL Rules 5.3, 6.1, 6.8, 7.2, 7.9)

Last edited:
Harley Reid said today that he is really "family-orientated" when asked about moving interstate. I think it is safe to say he would request a trade back to Victoria after 1 season.
JHF + Perkins have set all sorts of precedents.

Kids who are guaranteed first round picks now have a fair bit of clout.

JHF + Perkins have set all sorts of precedents.

Kids who are guaranteed first round picks now have a fair bit of clout.
Bailey smith done it before them. He even told non Vic clubs he's not sure how his mental health would cope being away from home.

The draft is essentially dead now. Ok it might be only 1 or 2 players a year but that's one to two clubs not getting the player they potentially want. Which means they draft next best available or worse case is they are drafting for need and the next closest player is miles off on talent, forcing the club to take them as at a reach OT throwing their draft plan out the windows.

Players arnt even sneaky about it anymore, it's pretty blatant and borderline tampering

No chance of losing to North or no chance of pick 1
Well for us to end up last, the following things would have to happen ... or something close to.

• We don't just lose this week to North, we lose every game for the rest of the season. 10000-1
  • West Coast and Hawthorn both win either 3 more games each, or two and make up about 40 percentage points on us - 1000-1
  • North beat us this weekend, and then win at least one more game. And that can't be against West Coast or Hawthorn, for the above to happen. I'd have that at about 10-1.
I put all those odds together and say there is no chance.

In terms of trading for pick 1, I would have it down to a Lloyd Christmas type chance of happening unless Warner or McDonald suddenly want to go home and the Eagles finish last.

Bailey smith done it before them. He even told non Vic clubs he's not sure how his mental health would cope being away from home.

The draft is essentially dead now. Ok it might be only 1 or 2 players a year but that's one to two clubs not getting the player they potentially want. Which means they draft next best available or worse case is they are drafting for need and the next closest player is miles off on talent, forcing the club to take them as at a reach OT throwing their draft plan out the windows.

Players arnt even sneaky about it anymore, it's pretty blatant and borderline tampering

I really do think a points based auction system would be best for the AFL as it would allow teams more ability to target players they want rather than being stuck with a certain draft range based on where their draft pick is. Not a solution but it would help the non-Victorian clubs a lot.

I really do think a points based auction system would be best for the AFL as it would allow teams more ability to target players they want rather than being stuck with a certain draft range based on where their draft pick is. Not a solution but it would help the non-Victorian clubs a lot.
Something needs to be done because the system is broken. Doesn't help that the Victorian vultures are into the players ears years down the track.

Don't think for a second that port didn't coach jhf through the draft/season/trade period

I've suggested it before but the player contracts need to be altered. The club whi drafts a player can offer more years and more money permissible than any clubs trying to recruit him. Similar to nba model , based off a players performance.

Say daicos hadn't extended and was up this year.

Pies could offer 5 years at whatever price they want.

Any prospective club can only offer a capped 3 years @700k for example.

If pies offered a mill a year that's 600k daicos would throw away by leaving.

It's not foolproof but it would help

Something needs to be done because the system is broken. Doesn't help that the Victorian vultures are into the players ears years down the track.

Don't think for a second that port didn't coach jhf through the draft/season/trade period

A draft points auction also gives teams far more freedom to rebuild in different ways too. If the worst team wanted they could pool a lot of their points in pick 1, or they could save their points and go after picks 8, 9 and 10 all in one go.

Harley Reid said today that he is really "family-orientated" when asked about moving interstate. I think it is safe to say he would request a trade back to Victoria after 1 season.
With free agency maturing, it is time to let clubs trade players without their consent.
Can’t have this indirect draft tampering clogging up our league. It’s an absolute joke.

Make the rookie contracts longer, if a top 10 player is to be traded after 1-2 seasons then make the value on that player equivalent to the pick used to select the player. I don't think it can be challenged as a restraint of trade because technically they haven't been in the AFL system yet (could be wrong though).

e.g. Reid goes pick 1 to Weagles then wants to leave after 1-2 seasons, whoever wants him has to pay the same value to get him. If he wants to sit out for those years then so be it but make it without pay or without having salary cap implications & he can't play until his rookie contract finishes. His return to play has to be through state league for a min amount of games & he must also go through the draft pool again.

If the AFL isn't going to help northern states in improving the number of players being legitimately draft eligible then strict conditions must be placed on rookie players. I hate seeing kids dictate where they want to play without even being drafted. They should be grateful for the opportunity & be willing to play anywhere. If they're willing to forgo multiple years of playing AFL to avoid playing somewhere they don't want to play then so be it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With free agency maturing, it is time to let clubs trade players without their consent.
Can’t have this indirect draft tampering clogging up our league. It’s an absolute joke.
I agree.

And you should be able to sign anyone before mid season draft. You get annihilated by injuries in week 2 and you need to wait till the MSD and hope you can get at least someone.

It's a ****ing joke if you ask me.

The AFL pretends to be a national competition with a draft system to maintain some semblance of parity.

Rookie contracts should be structured like the NBA. 4 years with a team option for years 3 and 4. Ideally the club would then have the flexibility to offer a larger extension than another team.

If you can't bear to do without mums cooking in order to realise your lifelong dream then you're free to stick with he state leagues or pursue another career.

I like the idea of buying picks
It would only help Vic clubs and to a lesser extent WA & SA
The Suns and GWS never have any cap space and nor do the Swans (Lions are probably very tight also - reckon they've gone all in to win a flag and 2-3 years time they'll be offloading players)
So, NSW and QLD clubs won't have the opportunity to buy picks.
It sounds good in theory, as does a mid season trade period, but (like 'free' agency) will end up supporting Vic clubs and the bigger the club the more it will support..

The Suns and GWS never have any cap space and nor do the Swans (Lions are probably very tight also - reckon they've gone all in to win a flag and 2-3 years time they'll be offloading players)
It sounds good in theory, as does a mid season trade period, but (like 'free' agency) will end up supporting Vic clubs and the bigger the club the more it will support..

Buying picks with points given at the end of the year based on where each club finished (so 18th gets more points than 17th and so on), not real money.

Exactly. It will be sold by the media as a way to help teams like hawthorn and north.

But the reality will be GWS and Gold Coast, and eventually Tasmania, selling off picks to VIC/SA/WA clubs to get off salary cap space..

Last edited:
It's a ******* joke if you ask me.

The AFL pretends to be a national competition with a draft system to maintain some semblance of parity.

Rookie contracts should be structured like the NBA. 4 years with a team option for years 3 and 4. Ideally the club would then have the flexibility to offer a larger extension than another team.

If you can't bear to do without mums cooking in order to realise your lifelong dream then you're free to stick with he state leagues or pursue another career.
The AFL is pushing for this but the AFLPA is against it. The truth is if it got taken to court the AFLPA would win and the AFL knows this. They want to be able to move players without their consent but they can't

I feel that the only way to even the competition is to change the rules regarding FA and RFA.

I think the 4 teams that play in the preliminaries - unable to sign any Free Agent or Restricted Free Agents that year.

They can trade for one but need to offer and lose something to gain access to a FA or RFA.

Make finals but not make the prelim - only able to sign Restricted Free Agents.

Again, they can trade for anybody..

Outside the 8 free access to both FA and RFA.

This will stop the top teams from continually getting the best FA and hopefully keep players at clubs longer. Most of the time players leave for more success, but of you leaving the 18th to go to the 15th, would you bother moving. Also, forcing clubs to pay a more fair price at the trade table.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Dawson
Rankine
JHF

The SA clubs are getting good at this too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back