2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 39 Australia v Afghanistan 7/11 1900hrs @ Wankhede Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Viv's was the first one I thought of. Bear in mind that his was in 1984 and, up until then, there had been only three ODI scores of 158 plus, back when ODI's weren't so batsmen orientated. However, I didn't see it so I can't make a full comparison. But the scorecard gives you an idea of the magnitude of the innings.

This is the other one that stood out for me. I know it was "only" against Zimbabwe (pre-Test status), but that very Zimbabwe were good enough to have reduced India to 5-17 that day. I still regard Kapil Dev's knock as one of the great ODI innings, even though (again) I didn't see it. I don't think footage of the knock even exists from memory.

All three (with Maxwell's) innings share things in common. All three not out. Their sides were in all sorts of trouble and likely heading for losses. The batsman dominated the scoring once in and, as a result, heavily dominated a late order century+ partnership (Maxwell 8th wicket, Kapil 9th wicket, Viv 10th wicket). All three knocks scored a heavy percentage of the team's runs (and in each case, the other batsmen/extras combined didn't tally 100). And all three sides ended up winning.
Viv's 189 has long been the top of the pile and rightfully so. Similar looking scorecard as well with Viv's score then next best 26 as it was last night with Maxwells 201 then 24. Same with Kapil Dev (175 next best 24). Crazy

It is such a shame there is no footage of Kapil Dev's 175. Hard to truly rank in that sense but often talked about being right up there.

Maxwell's is the best IMO simply because it was a chase, state of the game and how badly he was struggling physically.

Honourable mentions for best WC innings I have seen
  • Chris Harris against Aus in 1996 WC. Also memorable for Waugh's innings as well as Warney coming out to pinch hit at 4.
  • Ponting 03 WC final
  • Steve Waugh 120 in 1999 vs South Africa
  • AB De Villers v West Indies 2015
  • John Davison the great Canadian against the West Indies in 2003
  • Stokes 2019 final
  • Guptil v WI 2015

Stokes innings is being praised by a lot of English accounts/fans as the greatest ODI innings of all time given it was a final. Dont think so. They just can't help themselves.

Last edited:
That's the best ODI innings I've ever seen. I've been a bit cynical when it comes to Maxwell, but that was wild.

Not sure how the 2023 focus on strength and conditioning leaves him with full body cramps after 100 balls though, it wasn't quite Dean Jones batting for 6 hours in 50 degree heat.
He was still hung over from golfing.

It isn't ideal but at least Phillipe plays spin very well so I have faith he'd work well there, I'd actually bat him at 3 if he was in the side.

I don't know why we didnt play Handscombe, they brought him into the test team at the start of the year because he's one of the better players against spin, they could have brought him in as keeper and played Marnus' role in the middle order and allowed them to play another power hitter like David or Turner and would have also given more slow bowling depth.

I don't know why we didnt play Handscombe, they brought him into the test team at the start of the year because he's one of the better players against spin, they could have brought him in as keeper and played Marnus' role in the middle order and allowed them to play another power hitter like David or Turner and would have also given more slow bowling depth.

Handscomb really is a bit time keeper and that’s generous. Turner should have been there though

Sorry, you know this how exactly?

Denigrating the claims of other players on how they would or would not have handled cramping, simply on the basis that they’ve never really suffered it in the first place to be able to demonstrate whether they could or couldn’t cope is pretty pointless.

I’ve seen Faf Du Plessis hit a century so littered with big hits followed immediately by collapsing with cramp, that it was intercut with footage on twitter from the Saving Private Ryan sniper, Jackson, picking off German soldiers.

He’s not the first guy to hit boundaries while being inconvenienced and the notion that THAT is what has made it such a spectacular innings rather than the simple match situation and the quality of his ball striking seems pretty irrelevant to me.
Yeah nah, he literally could not move his feet for the better part of his 2nd 100. That obviously accounts for a lot and is the key to why it was such a spectacular innings.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think the nett benefit of Handscombe and Turner would have far exceeded Marnus and Inglis, even with Handscombe's shortcoming's as keeper.

Not if you are dropping 3-4 an innings. Handscomb should never be considered in any form as a gloveman he’s no better than Warner would be

Not to denigrate Richard's 189... but when people talk about the 'old days' of one-day batting, and how 6+/over was a huge feat and how much Richard's stood out from the crowd, they also ignore that in the early days of one-day cricket the bowling wasn't very sophisticated either. Neither was the fielding, really. If a batsman, like Viv, really attacked the bowling, teams didn't have many answers.

Again, not to denigrate his inning, or to say it was beneath Maxwell's. Just completely different eras in so many ways.

Unbelievable innings.

I had to head out and was refreshing my phone.
I walked past an off licence and two Indian guys were going nuts. I thought they'd be barracking against us but when I checked my phone Maxwell had gone BANG!
Indian people love Glenn. Especially now he's married an Indian woman. And now has an amazing record, scored in Mumbai!

Not to denigrate Richard's 189... but when people talk about the 'old days' of one-day batting, and how 6+/over was a huge feat and how much Richard's stood out from the crowd, they also ignore that in the early days of one-day cricket the bowling wasn't very sophisticated either. Neither was the fielding, really. If a batsman, like Viv, really attacked the bowling, teams didn't have many answers.

Again, not to denigrate his inning, or to say it was beneath Maxwell's. Just completely different eras in so many ways.
opening a can of worms on that one Funk

bowling wasnt sophisticated ???? :think:

yeah I will just let that go through to the keeper

Greatest ODI innings of all time lol, it was against Afghanistan.

Calm the farm.

It's like saying Hayden's 300 against Zimbabwe was the greatest test innings of all time.
Afghanistan are pretty good.

Now if it was England...

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 39 Australia v Afghanistan 7/11 1900hrs @ Wankhede Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back