2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 39 Australia v Afghanistan 7/11 1900hrs @ Wankhede Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

I like Maxwell, he is a fellow Saints supporter and it was a good knock from him but it wasn't one of the greatest ODI innings of all time.

He looked terrible early, dropped twice and was also lucky not to be out lbw then cashed in on some terrible bowling from a minnow team.

He also cashed in against another minnow team in the Netherlands, I haven't seen him bat all that well against proper teams in this WC.

He made 15 against India, 3 against South Africa and 41 against NZ on a flat deck when he got given a big platform from Warner and Head.

Why didn't he play one of these amazing ODI innings against those teams? Maybe because they aren't minnows and have better bowlers.

I actually think you're somewhat on the money here. On any other day, Maxwell popped up an easy catch on 33 and that was the end of it. The brilliance happened after that.

Then flopped in the finals when the pressure was on

He’s played 3 knockout World Cup games in his career for 137, 36 and 1, and his dismissal against NZ in the semi final at the last World Cup was to one of the balls of the tournament.

Pray tell what was on the line for Australia last night? Only the most freak series of results and margins conceivable would knock them out of the semi finals.

I thought based on what you said that to be considered any good, an innings has to be in a World Cup finals match - because 31 career centuries including 5 at one SENA hosted World Cup don’t count - but here I am being told that a game of fairly little consequence against an entire team of players who have never progressed to the knockout stages of a World Cup, in a preliminary match, with more or less nothing riding on the outcome, is the definitive test which proves a player’s quality.

These are very strange and confusing parameters indeed.

Way too much has been made of this.

Watch the seam positions and the speeds with which the two afghani seamers bowled.

Starc is the only one of the Australian bowlers who MAY have profited from this alleged time hole that appeared in the game last night. Both the afghanis were operating in the low 130s and were deliberately trying to swing the ball. That was their only MO. Hazlewood and Cummins don’t do that, as a general rule.

Australia didn’t have to face up on a green top with stormy skies against Vernon Philander and James Anderson last night. It was a normal early evening on a dry pitch against a couple of handy but unremarkable bowlers who simply happened to be able to get the ball coming out immaculately
I take it you didn't see the analysis of the top order dismissals and the amount of swing compared to usual?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He’s played 3 knockout World Cup games in his career for 137, 36 and 1, and his dismissal against NZ in the semi final at the last World Cup was to one of the balls of the tournament.

Pray tell what was on the line for Australia last night? Only the most freak series of results and margins conceivable would knock them out of the semi finals.

I thought based on what you said that to be considered any good, an innings has to be in a World Cup finals match - because 31 career centuries including 5 at one SENA hosted World Cup don’t count - but here I am being told that a game of fairly little consequence against an entire team of players who have never progressed to the knockout stages of a World Cup, in a preliminary match, with more or less nothing riding on the outcome, is the definitive test which proves a player’s quality.

These are very strange and confusing parameters indeed.
They made it much more likely to reach the final. Lose this and suffer the momentum hit and they likely get eviscerated in a semi by India at best. With some confidence and a new hero, maybe they survive South Africa and are better prepared to take on the favourites? The longer you go, you never know...

Everything was on the line for the opponents, who had Australia by a strangle hold and could sniff a semi final appearance themselves. That in itself made the occassion significant. And they'd banked some good wins so far.

Not knockout but there was certainly pressure, especially in a chasing situation compared to mammoth scores posted in first innings or without a collapse prior.

They made it much more likely to reach the final. Lose this and suffer the momentum hit and they likely get eviscerated in a semi by India at best. With some confidence and a new hero, maybe they survive South Africa and are better prepared to take on the favourites? The longer you go, you never know...

Everything was on the line for the opponents, who had Australia by a strangle hold and could sniff a semi final appearance themselves. That in itself made the occassion significant. And they'd banked some good wins so far.

Not knockout but there was certainly pressure, especially in a chasing situation compared to mammoth scores posted in first innings or without a collapse prior.

So Rohit Sharma boasts:

• 3 double centuries
  • a century in a knockout World Cup final
  • 5 centuries in a World Cup in England (thus destroying the flat track bully misnomer)
  • averages 50 in ODI chases - higher than his average when batting first

But he’s still not worthy of praise.

Good to know.

So Rohit Sharma boasts:

• 3 double centuries
  • a century in a knockout World Cup final
  • 5 centuries in a World Cup in England (thus destroying the flat track bully misnomer)
  • averages 50 in ODI chases - higher than his average when batting first

But he’s still not worthy of praise.

Good to know.
Nice straw man. You'll notice my comments pertained to you downgrading Maxwell. I was merely pointing out some attributes of his innings that are rightly garnering respect.

If I say a doube hundred is more impressive in a chase than a first innings, it doesn't mean I refuse to praise the latter. Surely you don't think viewpoints are this black and white.

Glenn Maxwell scored 68.6% of Australia's runs last night.
PhatBoy this is one of the other impressive elements and hence why it has drawn comparisons with other legendary ODI performances with a similar backdrop. Nobody praising Richards, Dev's or Gibbs innings automatically brushed aside the other huge totals. But the first two, like Maxwell, did have almost no contributions other than the man of the match batsman.

Cummins SR is a disgrace. s**t captain.
This serious? 7 down, Maxwell going berserk, and not being able to run, Cummins read the room brilliantly and made sure he didn't get out. He could see Maxwell was getting the runs on his own. If Cummins went out the whole thing could quickly tumble. His effort is completely underestimated.

This serious? 7 down, Maxwell going berserk, and not being able to run, Cummins read the room brilliantly and made sure he didn't get out. He could see Maxwell was getting the runs on his own. If Cummins went out the whole thing could quickly tumble. His effort is completely underestimated.
Mash Up Ball GIF

I'm still speechless and heartbroken.

Went to bed when they dropped Maxwell, thinking the game was almost over. Never did I imagine to wake up for a double century

Absolute hero.

P.S - has anybody checked on Plugger to make sure his alright?
Fell asleep with about 9 over left and Afghanistan looking like making sub-300, woke up, no internet to check score and flick on tv and see Maxwell double ton with no scores. Thought we got smashed for 160 odd off the last 9 🤣

Remove this Banner Ad

2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 39 Australia v Afghanistan 7/11 1900hrs @ Wankhede Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back