Training 2023 Mens Preseason Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Apparently Jones is back on the training track but Reid is injured.

50 50 Abc GIF by The Bachelor
I am 99% sure Jones had minor surgery to clean up his ankle so he was a few weeks behind the others.
Not massively worried on the Reid front yet. From all reports it is not stress fractures so putting the breaks on leading into Christmas is not an issue for me. In fact I have no issues if he starts the year in the VFL and builds form. The bigger issue for me is the bloke they signed for 2 years in Stewart has apparently got a foot issue and the bloke we should have kept is training at the Saints.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This isn't gloating or anything, Sydney don't have much to gloat about right now but I thought you guys would be interested in an aspect of this post from the Swans board

Caught up with my nephew over the weekend
Says
  • He trains Monday and Friday with the Swans, Wednesday with the VFL and light training on Saturday with VFL
  • Papley training Konstanty on quick snaps for goal was very interesting
  • Francis says Swans are much fitter than Essendon
  • Stephens is bigger but Heeney has a massive rig
  • McInerney is the funniest if you polled 99% of the team
  • Sheldrick is a very very very nice bloke

Is this something known internally at Essendon that you guys lack fitness? Is it an age thing?

This isn't gloating or anything, Sydney don't have much to gloat about right now but I thought you guys would be interested in an aspect of this post from the Swans board

Is this something known internally at Essendon that you guys lack fitness? Is it an age thing?

One of the main take-aways from the external review was that our base fitness and conditioning was materially below-par compared to the comp.

Watching us last year this could explain a lot: it's more than just an ability to run out games (which we often were superficially able to do), it is the intensity of effort within each quarter that was telling. A lot of sides were able to do easy end-to-end transition against us because not enough players willing to do the gut-running required to move from play to play and set-up/maintain defensive zones. If Scott changes nothing else, I'm hoping he can change a few mindsets + build physical capacities to do more of the power/endurance running within games.

Yes, it was actually one of the things that was indentified in the recent external review that Barham was willing to reveal.

The Swans work with Francis will be telling, he was never really able to build much of a tank with us - so if he can with you then our fitness team should be shown the door. (Actually, the above statement should have resulted in that)

We've had the worst endurance running ability in the AFL pretty much every year for the last 15.

Standards have otherwise and apparently been really poor post drugs saga. The club has been too nervy about pushing the players.

We've had the worst endurance running ability in the AFL pretty much every year for the last 15.

Standards have otherwise and apparently been really poor post drugs saga. The club has been too nervy about pushing the players.

I couldn't find a similar article from more recent years, but the difference between the team who covered the most ground in 2019 (Sydney) and least (Adelaide) averages out to ~ 11km / game.

The gap in distances teams cover most games is fairly small, it's the sprint efforts that would appear to be more relevant.

We are a team of joggers, both in attack and defence, I don't think the numbers will tell the true tale because the real gulf is the ability to cover the ground at speed and then go again.

Tsatas may not be an inside midfield godzilla but from what I can tell he is an aggressive runner away from congestion, should be a gamechanging weapon for us moving the footy away from the contest in the next 18 months and beyond.

We are a team of joggers, both in attack and defence, I don't think the numbers will tell the true tale because the real gulf is the ability to cover the ground at speed and then go again.

Tsatas may not be an inside midfield godzilla but from what I can tell he is an aggressive runner away from congestion, should be a gamechanging weapon for us moving the footy away from the contest in the next 18 months and beyond.

Shiel is valuable at stoppages for this reason, he has genuine dynamic speed out of congestion.

I thought our midfield mix functioned better with Shiel on-ball in 2022 than Parish, Shiel worked harder defensively (though still wasn't great) and his speed from stoppages is a big POD to the rest of our midfield.

If Tsatas has similar speed to Shiel, with better disposal he'll be a real weapon.

going back as far as Shiel joining. he commented on how fitness/training standards were surprisingly lighter than GWS.
3 coaches & fitness bosses later, and it's still rubbish.

add to the long list of why we're terrible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2023 Mens Preseason Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back