MRP / Trib. 2023 - MRO Chook Lotto - Carlton Tribunal News & Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What a croc of :poo:

The AFL decided not to appeal against the decision after "careful consideration and review of the Tribunal's decision and reasons following last night's hearing".

The League says it will list its reasoning in more detail later on Wednesday.

The incident has divided the football world.

Can we please just go to a system with a panel of 3, using precedent, player history & common sense.

Martin was a week - maybe 2 -it was silly - if he had really hurt Blakey definitely 2-3 weeks

Van Roo - 1-2 weeks was stupid & unnecessary

Greene on Weiters swinging arm to the nuts - 1 week - unnecessary & he has form being a dick.

It’s not hard, be consistent, stamp out stupidity with a week, use precedent to keep the punishments similar and relatable.

I’d also like to see people cited for stupidity & poor play (diving etc) - the odd occasion where someone is lined up with an elbow & just misses- u know it’s a dog act, but it missed, u still ping them for a week - i don’t care it missed- if it connected it would be 4.
The action itself is wholly unnecessary

A reasonably competent panel should be able to make consistent decisions that make sense, we don’t need a grading to know what something is worth
precedent, common sense just got removed from consideration.

Boyd got three weeks for failing to exert sufficient care in executing a tackle. The obvious conclusion to draw is that an attempted smother is preferable to tackling. Had Boyd left the ground and put his shoulder through the oppo's head while attempting to 'smother' - well that's a 'footy act'.

We either have a standard of care applicable to incidents that leave someone concussed or we do not.

As to your other criterion in relation to player history, I'm of the view that history can have an effect on the amelioration of a penalty (or an increase in severity) but does not serve to render something an offence or not. There still needs to be a grading system.

Geoff Gleason was in the Pies legal defence team and the prosecutor showed how incompetent he is yet again.

Hopefully at the end of the year they will clarify that running at a player jumping and knocking them out is no longer a football act

No he wasn't.

He was on the Tribunal:-
Jeff Gleeson (Chair), Scott Stevens, Darren Gaspar

Legal reps:
Andrew Woods (AFL)
Ben Ihle (Collingwood)

No he wasn't. He was on the Tribunal:-
Jeff Gleeson (Chair), Scott Stevens, Darren Gaspar

Legal reps:
Andrew Woods (AFL)
Ben Ihle (Collingwood)

But, but, the Tribunal = Pie's Legal Defence Team! ;)

Last edited:
Can we please just go to a system with a panel of 3, using precedent, player history & common sense.

Martin was a week - maybe 2 -it was silly - if he had really hurt Blakey definitely 2-3 weeks

Van Roo - 1-2 weeks was stupid & unnecessary

Greene on Weiters swinging arm to the nuts - 1 week - unnecessary & he has form being a dick.

It’s not hard, be consistent, stamp out stupidity with a week, use precedent to keep the punishments similar and relatable.

I’d also like to see people cited for stupidity & poor play (diving etc) - the odd occasion where someone is lined up with an elbow & just misses- u know it’s a dog act, but it missed, u still ping them for a week - i don’t care it missed- if it connected it would be 4.
The action itself is wholly unnecessary

A reasonably competent panel should be able to make consistent decisions that make sense, we don’t need a grading to know what something is worth

Michael Christian was part of a panel of at least 3 originally, didn’t work then and he was chosen to do it on his own

I think they just need to choose a person that isn’t biased and has more than a quarter of a brain

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maynard getting off is good for us. There is absolutely no way Martin gets weeks when Maynard does not.

Maynard's was Careless high contact either severe or High. It has to be, he hit him in the head and knocked him out badly.

Going by that logic. Martin was most definitely careless high contact and low impact.

0 chance Martin gets any weeks IF the tribunal is to be CONSISTENT.

Again this is a good thing for us, there is absolutely no way they can uphold Martin's suspension with any weeks now.

Martin's contact was significantly less and is also very much a football act by that definition.

This is a great weapon to have up our sleeve come our appeal time.

Maynard getting off is good for us. There is absolutely no way Martin gets weeks when Maynard does not.

Maynard's was Careless high contact either severe or High. It has to be, he hit him in the head and knocked him out badly.

Going by that logic. Martin was most definitely careless high contact and low impact.

Again this is a good thing for us, there is absolutely no way they can uphold Martin's suspension with any weeks now.

Martin's contact was significantly less and is also very much a football act by that definition.

Am I missing something? When does an appeal have to be lodged?

What ?

You realise Martin's case has already been heard, yes? He had his sentence reduced from 2 to 1 week.

Pretty sure you can’t appeal your own victory.

Michael Christian was part of a panel of at least 3 originally, didn’t work then and he was chosen to do it on his own

I think they just need to choose a person that isn’t biased and has more than a quarter of a brain

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Tbh I think the whole system needs a rethink. Way back when the pre-tribunal assessment was introduced it was sold as a kind of time saver. Simple / obvious cases that didn't need full tribunal attention got assessed early, with the incentive of a discount if the club 'accepted' the decision. Anything contentious or anything the club didn't agree with went to the tribunal. The tribunal remained the default approach and the benchmark, and the pre-tribunal assessment was just a shortcut for a subset of cases.

Now the perception is the other way around: the MRO is the default, and it is the exceptional cases that go to the tribunal. The good part of this is that many assessments are quicker and there are now far fewer tribunal cases than there would have been otherwise. The bad part is that the MRO judgement is now a long way from the original notion of just handling the obvious cases. MRO assessments are often now just as contentious as tribunal assessments, with the net result being that we now have one more point of contention than we used to have, and three levels overall (MRO, tribunal, appeal), which seems a lot.

I don't know what the solution is. A good starting point might be to look at the better systems in other sports and see if there's something the AFL can use. I suspect any meaningful attempt to tackle the problem will involve more change than some will be comfortable with, but the alternative is just more of the same.

Reading Gleeson comments I,m a little perplexed.

suspension now goes to “reasonable foreseeability“ when previous decisions have rested on careless conduct and been at least implicitly influenced by the severity of the outcome.
Rightly or wrongly, this is the genesis (see page 12, https://resources.afl.com.au/afl/do...885835edcaf1/2023-AFL-Tribunal-Guidelines.pdf):

1694596559564.png

(though that doesn't make sense either tbh as the Tribunal said it wasn't a bump (for reasons best known to themselves), noting they didn't say what it was!

Can only assume they are treating the high hit as part of the smothering action and nothing more - again, odd)

Apparently it was a football act, whatever tf that means. More like a football act from the 70’s.
It’s rubbish. Watch some union, league or NFL and you we will see how players try to avoid contact with the kicker after they have attempted to block the kick. It can be done and they are penalised if they don’t. The reason why Aussie rules players do it today is because they aren’t penalized for it. Guarantee that if the AFL applied a suspension that the hit would be out of the game but the attempted smother would remain in it.

Rightly or wrongly, this is the genesis (see page 12, https://resources.afl.com.au/afl/do...885835edcaf1/2023-AFL-Tribunal-Guidelines.pdf):

View attachment 1802128

(though that doesn't make sense either tbh as the Tribunal said it wasn't a bump (for reasons best known to themselves), noting they didn't say what it was!

Can only assume they are treating the high hit as part of the smothering action and nothing more - again, odd)

thanks for that…appreciate it.

I still see this as inconstently applied with an emphasis on reasonably foreseeable, a subservient clause to outside his control. My view is that by leaving the ground, and more particularly by tucking his shoulder the level of force was entirely within his control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back